11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 2:18 AM by mikeengles

Grid size and Colour in ACR

mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Is it possible to change the grid size and colour in ACR?

It would make sense if the settings in Photoshop woked in ACR.

Mike Engles

• 1. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

mikeengles wrote:

Is it possible to change the grid size and colour in ACR?

No...not at this time...why?

mikeengles wrote:

It would make sense if the settings in Photoshop woked in ACR.

Not really, ACR is designed to work with raw images and as such the algorithm is tweaked to work optimally with raw...Photoshop? Not so much...

• 2. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
            mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

The grid size and colour in the main Photoshop Lens correction module is user setable. I would imagine that the same facility should be available in ACR.

I cannot always see the grid against the background, when using the correction tool in ACR. Light grey is not always helpful against grey. The ability to change the  grid size and colour as well as move the grid would be very useful,as would Rulers.

Mike Engles

• 3. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
              Noel Carboni Level 7

An observation (and not responding in particular to any point in this thread)...  There seems to be a trend toward asking for ever more image editing features in the Adobe Camera Raw converter.  Adobe has certainly responded; there is an unprecedented amount of stuff you can do while converting a raw image today, and some of it (e.g., "Red Eye Removal" or painting with the "Adjustment Brush") just doesn't seem to me to be all that strongly related to raw conversion at all.

Personally, I'd hate to see Adobe migrating Camera Raw into a "Photoshop replacement" while starting to forget that the editing features of Photoshop proper remain important.  For example, would it be better to have Adobe Engineers working on things like improving the speed of Content Aware Fill and updating old filters to embrace modern data formats - or working to provide new image editing features via Camera Raw?

I realize my viewpoint may not be mainstream.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
                mikeengles Level 1

Hello

The problem is, if it is a problem, is that since if one starts with a RAW image, why go to another application for compositing or for cropping or for any other processing, like masks and curves and levels?

As computers become more powerful and memory is so cheap and plentiful, the trend will eventually mean that all compositing and  processing will be done on RAW images. The method of display is RGB. The smart object is a precursor. Also I almost never print my images, but wish to do quite radical processing to my RAW images for display on a screen. I suspect that I am not alone and why I find ACR frustating, because I know the tools already exist in Photoshop proper. They just need to me incorporated into ACR. Photoshop is dead, long live ACR.

Mike Engles

• 5. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
                  mikeengles Level 1

Hello

The problem is, if it is a problem, is that since if one starts with a RAW image, why go to another application for compositing or for cropping or for any other processing, like masks and curves and levels?

As computers become more powerful and memory is so cheap and plentiful, the trend will eventually mean that all compositing and  processing will be done on RAW images. The method of display is RGB. The smart object is a precursor. Also I almost never print my images, but wish to do quite radical processing to my RAW images for display on a screen. I suspect that I am not alone and why I find ACR frustating, because I know the tools already exist in Photoshop proper. They just need to me incorporated into ACR. Photoshop is dead, long live ACR.

Mike Engles

• 6. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
                    mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Mike Engles

• 7. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
                      mikeengles Level 1

Hello

The problem is, if it is a problem, is that since if one starts with a RAW image, why go to another application for compositing or for cropping or for any other processing, like masks or layers or curves or levels?

Mike Engles

• 8. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
                        mikeengles Level 1

Hello

The problem is, if it is a problem, is that since if one starts with a RAW image, why go to another application for compositing or for cropping or for any other processing, like masks or layers or curves or levels?

As computers become more powerful and memory is so cheap and plentiful, the trend will eventually mean that all compositing and  processing will be done on RAW images. The method of display is RGB. The smart object is a precursor. Also I almost never print my images, but wish to do quite radical processing to my RAW images for display on a screen. I suspect that I am not alone and why I find ACR frustating, because I know the tools already exist in Photoshop proper. They just need to be incorporated into ACR. Photoshop is dead, long live ACR.

Mike Engles

• 9. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
                          mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Each time I tried to post my message, I got an error message, hence the multiple posting.

My apologies

Mike Engles

• 10. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
                            Noel Carboni Level 7
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

mikeengles wrote:

As computers become more powerful and memory is so cheap and plentiful, the trend will eventually mean that all compositing and  processing will be done on RAW images.

I don't see why that has to follow, but I'm clearly not thinking like everyone else.  I see Camera Raw as a means to get great data into Photoshop proper for editing.  Why reinvent the wheel?  Photoshop works.  I'll be the first to say, however, that Adobe has left a number of things alone that they should have updated - functions and filters that only work on 8 bit per channel data, for example.  Perhaps they see the trend as you do - no need to work on that antiquated stuff when everyone's looking to metadata-based operations in the future.

I think it'll be quite a few years before computers are powerful enough to process all the metadata needed to represent an end-to-end editing session in real time, though.  And so it will remain most interactive to edit RGB pixels for the foreseeable future.  Note the threads around here, for example, where people complain how sluggish Camera Raw has become.  And just try editing an image that's got a stack of smart filters of any significant size.

The modern GPU can crunch through a lot of graphics data in an eyeblink.  I hope I'm wrong about how long it will take to get GPUs working directly on the task.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Grid size and Colour in ACR
                              mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

The processing does not have to be realtime on high res images, just fast enough to work on low resolution images, which is what happens in ACR. The rendering process to high res Tiffs, is what needs high processing power. There is no reason why ACR cannot have all Photoshop facilites incorporated into it.

The images are in in Raw format, which is smaller than 3 channel RGB. Low res processing does not take much CPU or ram, and the result is in RGB,so that we can see the image. At the end of composition a high res output file can be made. Video editing works just like this at present.

As with all these things, only time will tell.

Mike Engles