13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 7:05 PM by plampione

Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?

plampione

Now that I know how to render mp4 videos from premiere elements I am having trouble rendering 720p video and playing it on an iphone 4.  When I use the 'iPod and iPhone - High Quality' setting it works fine.  But when I change the Level to 4.0 to get 1280x720 resolution, and change the fps to 29.97 or 30 (tried both), I cannot import it onto an iPhone (iTunes says the phone cannot play the video).  I am using an iPhone 4, and I have used Handbrake to convert mpeg2 videos rendered in premiere elements into mp4 files that the iphone 4 can play (720p).  I tried all 3 profiles, not sure what else to try.

If anyone has any ideas how to make this work I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Peter

• 1. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not clear. Are you using Share/Portable Devices/iPhone to create video for your iPhone or are you using Handbrake?

• 2. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
            plampione Level 1

I am using Share/Portable Devices/iPhone.  Before I knew you could export as mp4 I was using handbrake, but now that I know you can export in mp4 in elements, I am just using elements (or trying to).  But I cannot export 720p video as mp4 and have it play on an iPhone 4.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply,

Peter

• 3. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?

Sorry no. I guess it's assumed you won't need a high-def video for a 3 inch screen.

• 4. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
                plampione Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I don't think that is a good assumption (I imagine Adobe hasn't given it a thought either way and just never made the effort to tweak their export parameters to support this).  I agree there is no value in having an HD video just to play on an iphone, but there is value in only having to export one version of every video I make.

In this model (where exported HD video is not supported by iPhone) I would have to export two versions, one in HD for my apple tv (or any method of putting on tv), and one non-HD for my iphone (assuming you want HD on the tv, which most people do).

Too bad, was hoping to streamline my workflow and avoid compressing the video twice, looks like I will have to stick with exporting in MPEG2 and then using Handbrake to convert to mp4.

Thanks again for replying,

Peter

• 5. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?

Well, if you want a hi-def MP4, why not use Share/Computer/MPEG with the H.264 1920x1080 preset? This produces a hi-def MP4.

• 6. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
                    plampione Level 1

Not sure how that helps?  I won't be able to play that on an iphone, correct?  And the resulting file is not an mp4 (though maybe there is a setting to change that I am not aware of?)

Appreciate the reply, if you think this can be used to export a 720p mp4 video that plays on an iphone I would appreciate your advice on how to do so.

Thanks,

Peter

• 7. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?

It should play on your iPhone if your iPhone can play hi-def MP4s. Just follow the instructions I gave you above.

• 8. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

And, MP4 uses the H.264 CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
                          plampione Level 1

Apologies, but not sure how this helps?  When using h.264 under mpeg the resulting video is an m2t AVCHD file, which iTunes and the iPhone are not compatible with.  Is there a way to get these to render as mp4 that I am missing?  The phone can definitely play 720p video, but it seems to be pretty picky about the parameters used.

Thanks,

Peter

• 10. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
                            plampione Level 1

I got it to work!  I used the mobile phone ->ipod/iphone setting.  I had been trying to make that setting work since it produces an mp4, but the iphone wouldn't accept it (when syncing it to the iphone itunes would say it cannot be played on this iphone).  After reading around on some website i tried tweaking a few more settings.  I had been using profile 4.0 to get 1280x720 resolution, so I tried profile 3.1 and manually changed the resolution to 1280x720 and the bitrate to 5 (I think that should be plenty for a high quality file?)  And that worked, so the iphone didn't like the 4.0 profile for some reason. 

If anyone else is trying to export 720p for play on iphone this should work.

Thanks,

Peter

• 11. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

H.264 is the CODEC for MP4. Where you can use that, or not, I do not know. I am just telling you what the MP4 wrapper includes.

As I have never done HD for my iPod, and do not have an iPhone, I cannot tell you how this might help you, other than to tell you what is inside the MP4 container. The rest, you will have to fill in.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. You have to understand that most users here do not think of HD for the tiny display on an iPod, or iPhone. A 3 x 4 display is very limited, and most here are thinking of BD to be played on a TV for the HD material.

Glad that you found the correct settings, and listed them, as others can benefit from them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Settings to play 720p mp4 on iphone 4?
                                  plampione Level 1

Understand about the small display, but I have to imagine more and more people will want to be able to do this.  My primary device for viewing these videos will be an apple tv connected to an HD tv, so that is why I want to export in 720p.  But I want the option (though I will not use it often) to throw these on my iphone without having to keep two versions of the file (two different resolutions) or having to convert it every time I want to transfer it.

Thanks again for your help trying to solve it, appreciate it.  These forums have an amazing amount of helpful information on them.

Peter