3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 8:36 AM by deimosphobos

Tips / Hints for storing older DV Clips

deimosphobos Level 2

Don't need to bore anyone with the details but this past week I captured all my old VHS-C tapes (family videos). This totalled around 200GB in native DV format. I am in the process of cleaning them up a little, identifying / tagging scenes etc.

The idea is to create a set of DVD's with a reduced set of scenes but I want to keep the digital copies of the tapes that I have.

Starting in the next 2 weeks or so I will be doing the same with all the Mini DV tapes I have and the storage requirements will just continue to grow.

I have a 1TB external drive for this digitizing project but it seems the 12GB per hour of uncompressed DV (Microsoft AVI DV) might get the better of this drive.

What is a good way of storing them, is there a good editing codec (using PRE 8) for the once or twice a year I need to include a scene or two that will offer a good level level of compression ? Just need to strike a balance between quality, editability and space.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Tips / Hints for storing older DV Clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you plan to edit this video again at some point, you'll want to keep them in DV-AVI format. True, at 13 gig per hour, that only leaves your room for about 75 hours of video on a 1 terrabyte drive. But, hey, that's a lot of video!

You could, as an alternative, burn them off as MPEG2 DVDs -- about an hour and a half per disc. (Three hours on a dual-layer disc.) But then you've got the messy conversion back to editable video, and that can sometimes prove challenging.

As an alternative, you can record all of your video back to miniDV tape -- one hour at a time. But, with 2 terrabyte drives selling for under $100, for my money (and time) storing them on an external hard drive is not only the most economical but it's also the easiest storage system to recall your files from when you're ready to edit.

• 2. Re: Tips / Hints for storing older DV Clips
            nealeh Level 5

If you do go the external drive option (that is my way of archiving projects) I suggest you use the drive for at least thirty minutes a month, just to give the moving parts a work-out.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tips / Hints for storing older DV Clips
              deimosphobos Level 2

Thanks for the replies.

I see a 2TB External Fantom on buy.com for $90, I guess in the long run it is way cheaper and less effort than trying to archive to any other media.

Good tip about running it every so often.