7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 8:23 PM by Charles VW

Best settings for vinyl declicking and noise reduction?

Ctein

Anyone have any opinions what the best settings are for Declick and Noise Reduction process with the new software? I'm using the defaults for DeClick; with the Noise Reduction I'm reducing the strength to 70% but leaving everything else as defaults. Seems to sound OK-- is this optimal?

Thanks!

Ctein

• 1. Re: Best settings for vinyl declicking and noise reduction?
          Charles VW Adobe Employee

Ctein wrote:

Anyone have any opinions what the best settings are for Declick and Noise Reduction process with the new software? I'm using the defaults for DeClick; with the Noise Reduction I'm reducing the strength to 70% but leaving everything else as defaults. Seems to sound OK-- is this optimal?

Thanks!

Ctein

In general, the optimal settings will largely depend on your audio material.  You may wish to post a short example somewhere so other users can post settings that work for those particular files.

For the DeClicker (found in the Diagnostics Panel), you may want to try multiple passes at different settings.  Just doing a single pass might not catch all of the clicks.  If you can get rid of most of the big "pops" (I think of a pop as being something very different than a click or crackle), then you can then work on getting rid of some of the gentler clicks.

The Automatic Click Remover automatically does some multiple passes, so you may wish to start with that, and then move on to the DeClicker for some manual cleanup of anything leftover.

For the Noise Reduction, you may also want to try multiple passes at a lighter reduction setting as opposed to single passes at more aggressive settings.  Be sure to listen to the preview with the "Output Noise Only" checkbox checked from time to time.  This is a good method to let you know if you're being too aggressive (that is, if you hear too much audio that you may wish to keep).

A trick not too many people think about with noise reduction (or DeClicking) is to try a pass both forwards and backwards.  The effects of these processes behave different at the onset of the noise/click from the tail of the noise/click.  You may find that a combination of both yields better results.

I invite others to chime in as well.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best settings for vinyl declicking and noise reduction?
            ronnieh1 Level 1

This reminded me that "output clicks only" for the declicker would also be desirable to verify that castanets weren't clobbered and to avoid distorting brass passages if too aggressive. Jeff Klein's ClickFix plug-in offered clicks-only monitoring in Audition 1-3 and it became very handy.

The de-clicker in the Beta works very well, as does the SoundBooth declicker. Without the ClickFix plugin, Audition 1-3's de-clicker was difficult to use. But a way to listen to the clicks-only in Audition4 would be a very nice touch.

There is no "best" setting for noise reduction. Using a fixed setting throughout can destroy a good recording. The best setting is "none at all" for loud passages, and selective application for quieter passages and ringouts at the ends of songs. For ringouts, you can frequently get great results by over-doing NR and then adding reverb to replace what the NR removes.

If there is a lot of rumble and low-frequency noise, be sure to trim the NR frequency curve so that it favors low frequencies. I've found that you can be fairly aggressive for frequencies below about 270Hz (to catch any 4th-harmonic hum). Then, carefully use the Hiss effect WHERE NEEDED for the higher frequencies.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Best settings for vinyl declicking and noise reduction?
              Ctein Level 1

Dear Charles,

Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

The quality of the vinyl is so variable that I don't think a sample file would help-- it'd just waste people's valuable time. Trial and error, I understand that!

I have a couple of follow-up questions-- first, I don't see any options for the Automatic Click Remover that aren't available with DeClicker, except for the  "toggle loop" button. In particular, I don't see a way to set multiple passes under ACR. Is that something it does on its own, or is the control for that somewhere else?

How do you run Noise Reduction/ACR/DeClicker backwards?

The "preview Output Noise Only" suggestion is a great one! I just tried it with a very problematic recording, in combination with your suggestion to use several light NR passes instead of one heavy one, and it made an audible improvement. But what effect does the dB Reduction slider have? I couldn't detect any changes no matter where I set it?

Related matter: I imagine this is, again, transcription dependent, but do you have any opinions overall about using the Noise Print/Noise Reduction process vs using the Adaptive Noise Reduction effect?

The help is much appreciated. between everyone's great suggestions and the User Guide for AA3, I think i'm gettig up to speed pretty fast.

pax / Ctein

• 4. Re: Best settings for vinyl declicking and noise reduction?

Ctein wrote:

I have a couple of follow-up questions-- first, I don't see any options for the Automatic Click Remover that aren't available with DeClicker, except for the  "toggle loop" button. In particular, I don't see a way to set multiple passes under ACR. Is that something it does on its own, or is the control for that somewhere else?

Yes, it (Automatic Click Remover) does it (multiple passes) on its own.  The controls are the same because the algorithm is similar.  The main difference is that with the DeClicker, you can add markers to where clicks are (via the Diagnostics panel), and you can choose to fix or not fix any of them.

Ctein wrote:

How do you run Noise Reduction/ACR/DeClicker backwards?

Use Effects > Reverse first, run it, and then use the reverse again to bring it back to the way it should be.

Ctein wrote:

But what effect does the dB Reduction slider have? I couldn't detect any changes no matter where I set it?

This controls how much the noise is reduced.  That is, reduce the noise by only 3 dB, or reduce it by 13 dB...

If this isn't making a difference for you, then there must be something else going on that I don't know about.  Perhaps show a screenshot.

Ctein wrote:

Related matter: I imagine this is, again, transcription dependent, but do you have any opinions overall about using the Noise Print/Noise Reduction process vs using the Adaptive Noise Reduction effect?

Personally, I'm pretty comfortable with using the Noise Print/Noise Reduction paradigm because I have a pretty good feel for what type of noise print works and doesn't work for that algorithm.  The Adaptive can work quite well too.  The main difference is that it will automatically try to figure out what is and isn't noise, and it will adapt/change over time.  You might notice, however, that for certain types of noise and settings, it takes a while to do this adaptation.  So it works better for some material than others.  There's a feature request open to allow the Automatic Noise Reduction to use a user-defined noise print as a starting point, such that it doesn't have to spend a bunch of time at the beginning of the file trying to figure out what is noise.  Soundbooth had some of this functionality where you could feed a noise print to the automatic/adaptive algorithm, but we don't have that in the Audition Mac Beta.

Ctein wrote:

The help is much appreciated. between everyone's great suggestions and the User Guide for AA3, I think i'm gettig up to speed pretty fast.

There's also some training videos on Lynda.com and a number of YouTube videos people have made to show how they use noise reduction in Audition.  There's also some videos on Adobe TV.

• 5. Re: Best settings for vinyl declicking and noise reduction?

Great suggestions, thanks for sharing.

• 6. Re: Best settings for vinyl declicking and noise reduction?
                    Ctein Level 1

Dear Charles,

Thanks for the links. I shall devour the tutorials and example videos.

I was incorrect in stating that the dB slider in Noise Reduction had no effect. It works-- it's just the noise spectrum graph in the top of the control panel doesn't when i move the dB slide, the way it does when I move the strength % slider.

I don't understand the difference between what the two sliders do in practice, though, that is different. Currently I'm just leaving the dB slider at the default 40 dB and using the % slider to control how much noise reduction's being applied.

BTW reported a reproducible crash bug this morning, via the Adobe Crash report popup. I presume that sends complete crash info to the engineers?

pax / Ctein
                    ==========================================
                          --     Ctein's Online Gallery    http://ctein.com
                          --     Digital Restorations      http://photo-repair.com
                    ==========================================

• 7. Re: Best settings for vinyl declicking and noise reduction?

Ctein wrote:

BTW reported a reproducible crash bug this morning, via the Adobe Crash report popup. I presume that sends complete crash info to the engineers?

Thank you for submitting the crash to the crash reporter.  The information goes to a database that engineers can then go and query. A signle crash can sometimes get lost in the noise (after the first week of the beta, it kind of becomes a statistics game).  If you have very repeatable crash steps, feel free to post on the forum or send an email to audbugs@adobe.com.