6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 5:15 PM by kdoc2

Kuler and Photo or Video

kdoc2 Level 1

How do I apply the color scheme I choose or develop to a photo (in Photoshop CS5) or a Video (Premiere Pro CS5)?

kdoc

• 1. Re: Kuler and Photo or Video
          atjain Adobe Employee

In Photoshop CS5, colors saved in Kuler can be accessed from the Kuler Panel(Window>Extensions>Kuler). In the browse mode in the panel browse through the themes or search the desired theme through the search box. After Selecting the theme, click on the 'Add Selected Theme to Swatches' towards the lower side of the Panel. This can also be done by clicking the arrow marker on the selected theme and selecting 'Add to Swatches Panel'. The theme will be them be accessible as any other swatch in the swatches panel.

Kuler Panel is not available in Premiere Pro. You can currently access the color information by using the kuler website. Goto http://kuler.adobe.com. Select the theme you wish to view, and click on the View Color Values button located at the top right of the theme description. The hex values are present near the bottom of the page along with values in various formats like the RGB and the CMYK. Alternatively, you can use third party applications like Mondrianum (http://www.lithoglyph.com/mondrianum/) to access the color values.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Kuler and Photo or Video
            kdoc2 Level 1

Thanks Atjain: excellent most of the way: OK, now I've got my set of swatches--I've got a harmonious color scheme. So how do I apply that to the photo--to give the photo a particular "look." I'm thinking maybe Gradient Map,using 3 of the colors on a created gradient,  but that would probably only be good for 3 colors? So how do you take the next step.

kdoc

• 3. Re: Kuler and Photo or Video
              atjain Adobe Employee

Forums for Adobe Photoshop(http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop) would be a better place to get information on ways to use swatches over a photo or apply color adjustments/blending to a photograph.

• 4. Re: Kuler and Photo or Video
                kdoc2 Level 1

I would think that if Kuler is at all useful for Photo editing, someone on this forum should have something to say on the subject. I think it would be more likely to find the answer here than in Photoshop, where Kuler may not be known. After all, Kuler does have a way to upload an image (to select a color)--how then do you modify that image? Oh yes, also: I'm on a PC and Mon...whatever isn't available on PC's

kdoc

• 5. Re: Kuler and Photo or Video
                  AllDayDev Adobe Employee

Hi kdoc2:

The way in which you work with Kuler themes in Photoshop is by adding the colors from the theme as swatches. The method for adding the swatch varies, depending on if you're using the Kuler desktop (AIR) application, the website, or the Kuler panel within Photoshop itself.

Regardless of the method used for getting the colors from Kuler to Photoshop, they show up as swatches in the Swatches panel in Photoshop.

What I'd recommend doing is asking those on the Photoshop forum how to take a few color swatches and use them to apply as a "theme" or "color scheme" of some sort to an existing image. I'm certain there's a technique for doing so, but I'm not too familiar with Photoshop to tell you exactly how to accomplish this. (I think one method involves using Indexed Color Mode, but again I'm not sure how that works exactly.)

There might even be some tutorials out there to accomplish the same thing, so perhaps check on http://tv.adobe.com or search the web for such tutorials.

Hope this helps!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Kuler and Photo or Video
                    kdoc2 Level 1

My guess is that you'd have to select certain parts of the image, fill them with a swatch in the "color blending mode." I'll play around with this, and also consider using Gradient Map.

kdoc.