6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 3:19 PM by Linkingdot

Installation frustration--Installer claims I'm not an administrator.

Linkingdot

I purchased and downloaded Premiere Elements 9 a day or so ago, and have since met great tribulations in extracting all of the content and installing it. I've managed to extract the setup, which proceeds to insist that my user account does not have administrative privileges. It is the administrative account. I tried killing all startup applications, but that didn't help at all. It genuinely seems to believe that I am not the administrator. The only potential solution that I've been able to ferret out is the creation of a new administrative user account on my computer, but that one of course does not have any of the Premiere Elements content on it. Why might the installer be behaving in this manner? How might I fix it? Is there a way to transfer all of the content to this new account I've created, or is that barking up the wrong tree entirely? I'm in a soul-crushing time crunch here, and have grown desperate.

• 1. Re: Installation frustration--Installer claims I'm not an administrator.
          Install_Guru Adobe Employee

Hi,

In order to debug this issue, could you please let us know your machine configuration(i.e. It is Win XP or Vista or Win 7). Further, Are you installing Premiere Elements Core Application or Premiere Elements Content. It would be great if you can list down all steps that you are doing.

We will try our best to resolve this issue at an earliest.

Thanks,

Gaurav

• 2. Re: Installation frustration--Installer claims I'm not an administrator.
            Linkingdot Level 1

Thanks for acknowledging me and trying to help.

I'm running Windows XP, and installing Premiere Elements Content. I downloaded everything using the Akamai manager, and it took more than 24 hours (not that that's much of a concern now). I used the Launch feature on the download manager once it was finished, and was then introduced to the .rar. I extracted everything I could find in there, and once that process was complete I was able to open the file (marked by a white box icon), which proceeded to... extract... setup... again? Setup than started up, and after only a brief time informed me that I have no administrative privileges and refused to proceed. Just going over this mentally has opened my eyes to a couple of possible mistakes, and I'll let you know if I manage to fix the problem by re-examining some things, but that's highly unlikely.

Note: I fully meet the system requirements.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Installation frustration--Installer claims I'm not an administrator.
              nealeh Level 5

Linkingdot wrote:

I used the Launch feature on the download manager once it was finished, and was then introduced to the .rar. I extracted everything I could find in there,

That's wrong (unless Adobe changed the process in the last month). If you have downloaded both the .exe and the .7z file you should not need to manually open or extract data. So long as both the files are in the same folder (I suggest neither the root directory or desktop) run the .exe and it should do the install correctly for you. You could even right-click the .exe and select 'Run as Administrator...'. I think XP has a slightly different way of elevating privileges but it should be obvious. Incidentally note that running as a user with administrative privileges is NOT the same as running as Administrator.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Installation frustration--Installer claims I'm not an administrator.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, can you let us know what your system specs are? As I point out in my books, Adobe's minimums are way too low.

You'll need at least a 2.6 ghz dual-core processor to edit video with version 9 and 2-4 gigs of RAM and at least 30 gigs of free, defragmented space on your hard drive. If you're trying to edit hi-def video, you should have a quad core or i7 processor and 4 gigs of RAM.

• 5. Re: Installation frustration--Installer claims I'm not an administrator.
                  Linkingdot Level 1

Neale, you actually ended up being right. It took some finagling to run as Administrator when the Administrator account was all but absent from my computer, but I got the setup working in the end. I'll be back here if any more help is needed.

Thanks all!

• 6. Re: Installation frustration--Installer claims I'm not an administrator.
                    nealeh Level 5

Thanks for posting back. It's always nice to hear a success story. Happy editing!

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children