2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 12:11 PM by TeetowSBZ

Opinion on: Audition beta,  Soundbooth, TwistedWave, LogicExpress, Pro Tools

KirksVoice

What are your opinions? 

I've just started into voice over so I don't very much yet but here's what I've discovered so far:

I like TwistedWave for it's simplicity and low cost.  It doesn't come loaded like the more expensive programs but I think the extras are available at extra cost of course.

Audition beta, also pretty user friendly, seems to have more to offer by way of manipulation, filters, etc. (Still discovering what's available).  I like it's feel better than TwistedWave and the quality seems just a little fuller too.

I tried Soundbooth but didn't like the interface so I only played with it for a short time - seemed like it would be better used putting large projects together than fill my needs for voice overs.

Wanted to try out LogicExpress but couldn't find any free trials available.

Haven't really looked at Pro Tools yet.  Seems like in the VO business there are two main camps:  Adobe Audition & Pro Tools.  Although I've talked to a couple of people who use both and many who have used both then settled on one or the other.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on the software you like as well as any suggestions for us newbees.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Opinion on: Audition beta,  Soundbooth, TwistedWave, LogicExpress, Pro Tools
          GMartin58-n8ouO0

When Audition was still Cool Edit a lot of radio guys jumped on the bandwagon. It was either free or very inexpensive and loaded with everything we had in the high end studios. With the advent of things like Garage Band, Logic, etc that tend to be directed more at musicians the straight voice-over guys & gals had to contend with a lot of unwanted or at least unnecessary features. And while Audition will still to that with Loops, etc. it is really a great and straight forward audio editor.

I was on the verge of moving to ProTools when I came across the Audition Beta. The learning curve for me was something I was not looking forward to and after using Audition/Cool Edit for what seems like an eternity it was godsend.

My 2 cents worth.

• 2. Re: Opinion on: Audition beta,  Soundbooth, TwistedWave, LogicExpress, Pro Tools
            TeetowSBZ

I've noticed that most ProTools users I talk to tend to fit in one of three categories:

A) They started using it back when it was the only decent thing around and can't / won't switch

B) Someone else uses it, and they need to be compatible with them

C) They're locked in to a certain TDM or RTAS plugin not available elsewhere

This is, of course, highly subjective, but I think there's some merit to it.ProTools isn't really selling on its feature set or workflow; it's selling because it's ProTools.

This is a pretty common fate for old work horses -- They started out in simpler times, but have been forced into a kind of accelerated evolution, growing both wings, tails and extra sets of legs in order to compete. As such, they're always at the risk of being overtaken by younger DAW:s whose development can be guided by more updated design imperatives. A good case of this would be Ableton Live, which is built upon the simple premise that "the music never stops."

Personally, I hope that the Audition team sees the potential in building the ultimate "Photoshop for sound," and rather than shying away from geeky features like the spectral editor, instead chooses to embrace them and evolve Audition into a pure-bred noise shaping studio -- the best of its breed. Now, more than ever, us sound designers want to create truly unique sounds, and that requires a bit more work than just slapping a flanger onto a pitched-down giraffe and calling it a day.