18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 9:17 AM by ECBowen

MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470

mambo88

Hello,

I recently bough a new pc which i use for video editing with cs5:

Intel Core i7-930 @ 2,8GHz

12gb DDR3

Evga GTX 470 SuperClocked (for my first 2 monitors, Samsung F2380)

Evga geforce 210 (for my third monitor)

128GB SSD / 2TB SATA300 hd's

As i stated above, the GTX 470 is used for my primary and secondary monitors.

When i use premiere with the MPE the results are really not that good: the video image stutters, even with simple tasks like a change in opacity. All bars are yellow, so the MPE is activated - in reality it just doesn't do that much. When i don't use the MPE  i can at least render to get a nice picture quality, but when the bars are yellow premiere "thinks" its just all good and i cant render witch results in crappy images again.

How do i solve this ? I just bought a € 3000 computer and now i cant really use it the way i bought it for...

Can someone explain to me how i can use MPE without stuttering ?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

mambo88

• 1. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First try the PPBM5 Benchmark and send the results to me as well in a PM. That will at least give an idea of what is going on here.

Edit: I received your PM and responded by PM. Check your mail.

Re-download and retest as I described in the PM.

• 2. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What video driver version number do you have installed? What is the material you are using right now?

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
              mambo88 Level 1

I just installed version 260.99 for my GTX 470 graphic card. I use Premiere Pro 5.02

I also use a second videocard (simple GeForce 210) for my 3rd monitor. I tried disabling it once in the hardware manager, so not just not using it, i really disabled it but no improvement whatshowever. So that kind of rules out interferance from the second videocard.

I'm using AVCHD 24Mb/s 1080p25 footage shot with a Sony HXR-NX5e camera. So mpeg4 video in a .m2ts container.

I know full hd mpeg4 footage is tough to handle, but with my hardware configuration it really should not have to be this much of a problem with it.

Thank you for your help !

• 4. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470

Did you manually uninstall the previous driver before updating to 260.99? Also did you go into the Nvidia control panel and turn the power management setting under global from adaptive to max performance?

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                  mambo88 Level 1

No i did not manually uninstall the old driver, this shouldn't be a problem should it ?

I just changed my power preference to max performance, and it seemed to help a little bit, but it doesn't nearly fix my overall problem. My MPE still can't show a simple fadeout when there is another layer beneath, not even at 1/4 playback resolution - although blending options are shown perfectly fine even in full resolution playback.

• 6. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470

Depending on the driver version you came from, I have seen issues with the 260.99. You need to uninstall the driver and then reboot the system. Then See if the nvidia card loads a driver again. If it does, uninstall that driver version and then reboot. After that make sure it just loads a standard VGA driver before you install the 260.99 again.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                      mambo88 Level 1

I came from the 260.89 version, and i installed the 260.99 version just because its the newest. There is no difference let alone improvement whatshowever since the new driver install. Other than that both versions seem to work fine.

So is it really nesessary to go trough all that trouble just to install the driver i have already installed now ?

• 8. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470

The issue you are having is particular to your system. The 470GTX card performs fine with CS5 and we have not seen the performance issues you are running into. The 470GTX does effect the playback with the MPE considerably which according to your posts, is not the case with your system. Whether you want to isolate further is up to you but the video card driver is the first place to start. I have seen some issues with this 260.99 driver and installing over a previous. Did you have another driver installed before the 260.89 driver or did you install that when you first built the image?

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                          mambo88 Level 1

Alrighty then, i'll get on it

I think i had one before that. I will keep uninstalling display drivers untill the only one left is the standard VGA driver, and then i will re-install my 260.99 driver. What are the optimal settings in the nVidia configuration panel for using the MPE ? Are there other settings i should change from the default to get better performance ?

Also i have to admid - i was using the GTX 470 cuda engine before it was officially supported by adobe. Could this have anything to do with it ?

There is definately something wrong, the Premiere benchmark keeps giving me weird outcomes.

• 10. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Yori,

Even though it says Vista, it also applies to Win7. Look here for some basic tuning: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...

I'm using the same driver on my system and have not yet had problems. It appears there is something else going on here, that causes your weird results. I'll get back to you when I have seen your test results.

• 11. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470

The Power management option in the global 3D settings should be changed from adaptive to Max Performance. Also you want to add the Adobe Media Encoder to the program list in the Nvidia control panel. Beyond that there really isn't anything else you need to change.

Using the card before the 5.0.2 update does not change the performance. The 5.0.2 just overwrites the previous cuda card list file anyway.

One of the main issues I have seen when overwriting the previous video driver is the fan control is messed up for auto and the card gets well over 70C at idle. This will  push the card way to hot during MPE use. That can definitely cause the performance problems you are having.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Yori,

I got your new results. BTW, did you also send them to Bill as instructed to PPBM@att.net ?

Your MPEG and H.264 results are in line with what I would expect from your specs. They are pretty mediocre for your kind of system.

Your MPE results show that MPE has a significant impact, like other users with a 470 have encountered. A performance increase of more than 10 times over software only. So MPE works on your system as was expected. We'll get back later to your specific project to see why it does not work as expected in that specific situation, but on the benchmark test it does what it is supposed to do.

Your disk results are very disappointing. Some things to check:

1. Turn off the sidebar completely.

2. Turn off compression and indexing on all your drives.

3. Use a static pagefile of around 12 GB.

4. Optimize your disks regularly.

5. Turn off services and processes not needed. See the earlier link I gave.

6. While editing, turn off anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-whatever.

7. Use CCleaner to remove pollution from your system.

These basic things will improve performance significantly.

In your project you feel MPE does not work as you expected. What is your source material (can't look at your original post here while replying, so maybe you already told us), what are your sequence settings and what effects/transitions do you use? Have you used any MBL effects or other non-accelerated effects? How much of the time-line is red? You are on version 5.02?

• 13. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                                  FelixUnderwood Level 2

Eric, I too am following your advice for driver updates. I always wondered why my MPE performance was subpar and also wondered where all the noise was that I'm supposed to be hearing with a GTX480. Also, I couldn't open the Nvidia Control Panel when I went to check on my settings!! I haven't installed my GTX580 yet, for I just completed the PPBM5 test with my 480 and was going to run it again with my 580, but want to see my test results posted first before installing and testing the 580. In any event, do I want to do an express install with the 260.99 driver or custom (i just uninstalled v260.89)? And if custom, what option(s) should I uncheck? And do I want to check the Perform clean install box?

• 14. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                                    FelixUnderwood Level 2

Anyone else have answers to my questions above?

• 15. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470

Once you roll back to the Standard VGA driver, you can install the express method. The Driver update fan control problem is a known issue with nvidia drivers and has been an issue before. This is not the first time it has appeared.

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                                        mambo88 Level 1

Sorry for the delayed response, i'm very busy at the moment for school - with the Adobe package so i can't risk losing it now.

I decided to make a all fresh install. The manufacturer of my pc devided my 128 SSD in 3 partitions so this is something i have to take care of anyway. After this week i have two weeks of free time, so i'm planning on re-installing the whole system then. I'll ckeck if there is any improvement. If not, i will come back here asking for answers

Thanks for all the help !

• 17. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470
                                          mambo88 Level 1

Well, i made the fresh install today - including all the updates, and the newest GTX 470 drivers installed, without any driver installed before.

It definately seems like my MPE gained some performance, 5 layers of 1080p25 24MB/s AVCHD footage with basic effects (stretching, opacity animations, motion, etc) worked fine.

However, playing a clip backwards (-100%) is not possible. The videocard begins to stutter, and so when i have the MPE enabled there is no way i can preview my backwards played video correctly. Stretching seems to work fine as long as its not backwards. This tells me the MPE is not completely fixed yet, and there will probably be other things it cant do, i just haven't stumbled upon them.

Since i have a clean install, i have not configured the nVidia panel - because i don't know what the best settings are. Can somebody please tell me ?

• 18. Re: MPE doesn't do its job well with GTX 470

Go to Manage 3D settings. Change the Power management under Global from adaptive to maximum performance.

Eric

ADK