6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 8:12 AM by AIR-Chayah

Applying Changes to Master Pages

PaulCensullo

Is there any way to apply a change to a master page to a topic that is already linked to that master page? I tried removing the link, making the change to the master page, and then re-linking the topic, but it the "old" version of the master page gets applied. I also tried making a change to the master page and then using the Apply To All feature when generating, but again, the version applied is the "old" master page.

• 1. Re: Applying Changes to Master Pages
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome to our community

It depends on what you are trying to change. Can you be more explicit about exactly what it is you are trying to do?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 2. Re: Applying Changes to Master Pages
            PaulCensullo Level 1

I have a master page (previously a topic template) with code for adding a custom button bar for context-sensitive topics. It includes buttons for Contents (launching the tri-pane window), Back, and Print. This code applies to any topic that can be launched as context-sensitive Help (in a single pane). This was easy to do with WinHelp, and even HTML-Help. However, doing this for WebHelp requires custom code. Adding this code as part of the master page (previously, the topic template) seemed to be one way of applying it to multiple topics fairly easily. However, once applied, how can I update the original master page and have those changes affect existing topics? Is there a better place to include such code (hopefully in a place that RoboHelp will not "undo" with each compilation)?

• 3. Re: Applying Changes to Master Pages
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello again Paul

Okay, so the fact you are referring to them as Master Pages would seem to imply you are using RoboHelp 8. When you edit a Master Page in this version you note that there are "Placeholders" on the page. There is a Placeholder for the Body text. You may also add other Placeholders as well as Headers and Footers.

If you inserted the button bar inside the Body placeholder, it would only be related to topics you created using the Master Page as a template. If you later changed this in some way, for example removing or adding a button, it would only be reflected in topics you later created after making the change. Topics created prior to the change will be unfazed.

You can change this behavior by inserting the element just above the Body Placeholder. When content is outside the Placeholder, it gets copied to any topic associated with the Master Page.

As for RoboHelp being "helpful" and leaving the code alone, you are on your own with that. Trial and error will tell you whether RoboHelp will clobber the changes to the code. About the only way to ensure that doesn't happen is by using some custom JavaScript to "write in" the desired code.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 4. Re: Applying Changes to Master Pages
                PaulCensullo Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

I see that I am placing my button bar within a <body onload...> tag. Is there any other place I can place this code so that is "above the Body Placeholder"? I'd like to have the ability to edit this code later without having to go to each topic that was previously created.

Thanks again,

Paul

• 5. Re: Applying Changes to Master Pages
                  Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

Add your script in the header of the footer of the masterpage. Whenever you update the masterpage, all topics are automatically updated.

The easiest way to mimic the onload, is to simply place your script as the last thing in your footer. As long as no content is added after the script, the script will execute when the page is (almost) ready. Alternatively, you can use window.onload to run the script when the page is ready.\

Greet,

Willam

• 6. Re: Applying Changes to Master Pages
                    AIR-Chayah Level 1

Based on Rick's original reply, I put a Show All button in the Header area and it now appears in all topics that use my Master page. Unfortunately, to make this work I had to put the button on the same line as the company logo and product name, which is not very pleasing . Obviously I've got a layout problem to fix down the road.

Carol