9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 11:27 AM by nealeh

Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer

Steven-K Level 1

What files (finished projects) do I need to transfer to the new computer?  I have the original PE8 installation disk for the software.  The various project files were created in XP-32 bit and the new computer has Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit. Any potential problems or issues?

I have several completed projects that are important and must be transferred and saved.

• 1. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As long as your original projects were also created with version 8, you should have no problems.

The best way to move the files from one computer to another is to use the Project Archiver, moving the files from computer with a big USB-connected hard drive.

• 2. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
            Steven-K Level 1

Steve,

I meant which "specific" files need to be transferred to the new computer. The specific files on the old computer transferred to the new computer. 

I know how to make a transfer.

• 3. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
              nealeh Level 5

Are you talking about Program Files? If so you can't just transfer them - they have to properly installed by running the installation program.

If you mean project files, then Steve has already given you the best advice, although check them after transfer before deleting from the original location. I noticed yesterday that the archiver, for some reason, did not save a SmartSound file from my last project - I'm on PRE7 so maybe that got fixed in PRE8.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven-K,

If you are talking about the Project files, and the media Assets, then Steve's suggestion will gather up ALL necessary files for transfer.

As Neale points out, this is NOT for the program files, which must be installed, and not transfered, as one also needs the Registry entries into the OS of the new computer.

If you can be a bit more specific, regarding whether you are talking about Project, or program files, someone can be very specific, as to what needs to be transfered.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
                  Steven-K Level 1

I have the installation disk for the software program files. It's the project files that are important to me.

Where can I find a "list" of the "project" files that are important to save and transfer?

• 6. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You will need the PREL (the Project file), and ALL Assets used. The Media Cache files, CFA, PEK, any Render files, etc., are not necessary, as PrE will rebuild those, as is needed.

Now, as Steve says, the Project Archiver will do all of that for you, and is very good at gathering up everything needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
                      Steven-K Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the list of files. It's the information I needed.

If I undersatnd correctly, the rendered files do not have to be saved after a project has been satisfactorily completed? They do take up quite a bit of disk space.

• 8. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
                        nealeh Level 5

Steven-K wrote:

If I undersatnd correctly, the rendered files do not have to be saved after a project has been satisfactorily completed? They do take up quite a bit of disk space.

Correct.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Transfer PE8 Files To New Computer
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the Render AVI's, the CFA and PEK files do not have to be saved. If you reopen that Project, the Renders will be gone, and you will have a red line over all Clips, where you made some changes, and PrE will automatically regenerate the CFA and PEK files for the Audio - let this complete fully, before doing ANY editing.

Make sure that you gather up ALL Assets, or you will get the dreaded "Media Offline" display.

I always set up each Project completely, and place Copies of all Assets in appropriate sub-folders, like Still Images, Video, Audio, Music, etc., and these are all under the root folder for my Project. The Scratch Disks w/ Media Cache will be located there too, with the "Same as Project" setting in Preferences. This allows me to then do as I wish, easily, when the Project is done.

If one has grabbed Assets from all over their system, it is not so easy, unless they use the Project Archiver function. It's easy to forget about a Clip off on another drive, or in another folder. That is why I always Copy every Asset into the folder hierarchy of that particular Project.

Good luck,

Hunt