4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2010 12:32 PM by kundabungkid

Photoshop CS5 - Bridge

kundabungkid

Hi folks,

I have a fairly simple question I would like and appreciate answered.  :  In previous versions of PS (before CS5 acr v6) it has been suggested to change the default settings in curves for the eyedropper settings (Shadow, midtone & highlight.). eg  changing the RGB values to collapse the curve. ie Shadow: . R, G, & B to 7. and the Highlight eyedropper R, G, B to 245 respectively: .  Is this still the case with ACR 6, as I remember reading somewhere that the update of acr v6 had rectified the necessity to alter the default values?.    Many thanks, kk

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 - Bridge
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

I do not see any reason to do this with ACR 6 (or with any preceding version of ACR, either).

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 - Bridge
            kundabungkid Level 1

Just a bit of follow up regarding my question on the curves eyedropper default adjustment.  Dek's books on many occasions and Martin Evening discusses it also as recommend/suggested changes that I quoted for printing to inkjet printers to get the best ink coverage and display shadow detail.  Is there any reference to this not being required in the Adobe information please for ACR6...  Thank you for your initial reply.  kk

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS5 - Bridge
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

For the purposes of printing, reducing the white point (e.g., to 250 or 245 on an 8-bit scale) can be useful in a couple of scenarios. One is if you have completely blown-out white areas at the borders of the image, that you wish to remain visually distinct from the paper white. Reducing the white point will make those blown-out image areas slightly darker than the surrounding paper white. Another reason is if you're printing on a glossy, luster, or semi-gloss paper + ink combination that is particularly susceptible to gloss differential in the highlights. Manually reducing the white point can minimize this issue. Of course, you also give up some output contrast range in doing so.

On the shadow end, you should generally rely on a good printer profile to maintain/extract shadow detail to the extremes. I don't think that lifting the black point to the 5--10 range is the way to go. It usually indicates a limitation of the printer profile. (Also: be sure that if you're printing with Relative Colorimetric intent from Photoshop, that you enable Black Point Compensation.)

Eric

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS5 - Bridge
                kundabungkid Level 1

Eric,

Thanks for your input. I do colour calibrate my monitors constantly, and create my own icc printer to paper profiles, (including using all the fine print recommendations in print setup.)   (Spyder 3 Elite.)

I nearly always print on high gloss paper for contrast.  I use top end printers, (epson & canon with highest quality papers and genuine inks). The Epson printer produces the best blacks.

I do a great deal of Macro imaging and therefore really look at shadow, midtones & highlight details at 100%, (even on the cropped final stage of the image, before printing.)

Small changes in Blacks in acr 6 usually overcome any small losses in contrast.  I also do some fine adjustments in parametric curves, and as these are additive to the basic raw adjustments.

I thought that I might not need to alter the default eyedropper values in curves. What I was after was a definitive answer to whether the rehash of acr 6 and its effects on the print curve alterations had changed, overcoming ,and not necessitating changes to the eyedropper default values.

I gather from your replies that I can still alter the default values, (esp the top end: highlights) in the PS setup if I wish and ignore the changes that have been documented previously for older versions of acr. (CS5 and earlier.),{and that this area in acr 6 has remained unchanged.}

Thanks again, Ian, aka kundabungkid.