7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 8:18 AM by TimeRemapper

AE cs5 no 10 bit output to Sheer codec?

ninteknohardcore

Hello I had been using the RGB 10 bit flavor of the Sheer video codec on my current machine using Cs4 with XP64 with no problems at all.... Recently I upgraded to Ae Cs5 and Windows 7 64... same hardware, newest version of quicktime, Ae 10.1, newest version of Sheer codec...

I'm unable to render a 10 bit mov with Cs5... I'm able to choose Sheer 10bit rgb as an option BUT I'm unable to choose "trillions of colors" which I was able to do in Cs4... So I can choose Sheer 10bit and render it but the rendered mov is a Sheer 8bit file... is there a way to enable the "trillions of colors" option and render 10bit mov's using the Sheer Codec with Cs5?

My comp is using 32bpc, no luck when its set to 16bpc either... I've looked for info and found some references to editing an Xml file to enable features in other codecs and I poked around in the Ae pref's folders.. trashed the pref's... but still no "trillions of colors" or 10bit Sheer renders...

If anyone has any ideas for me to try I would greatly appreciate them thanks!

• 1. Re: AE cs5 no 10 bit output to Sheer codec?
          TimeRemapper Level 4

I don't have Sheer, so I can't test it. Did you actually edit anything in the text file that you found allowing different color depth renders, or did you just locate it? You may want to file a bug report in the meantime. Have you contacted Microcosm (at least, I thought it was? It looks like it may be BitJazz now...)?

BTW, testing this with Uncompressed YUV 10bit 422 seems to work fine.

• 2. Re: AE cs5 no 10 bit output to Sheer codec?
            Navarro Parker Level 3

Any particular reason you are using Sheer? A glance at their website tells me it's pretty much dead. When they mention their 50% sale at NAB 2007, it's a little scary. Aren't there any more modern codecs for Windows?

• 3. Re: AE cs5 no 10 bit output to Sheer codec?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've been looking into this today, and I can confirm that we have some differences between CS4 and CS5 regarding the Sheer codecs using deep color (greater than 8bpc) in QuickTime containers. These have to do with the changes that we needed to make to work around the lack of a 64-bit QuickTime.

If you tell us specifically which Sheer codec you're trying to use (there are many), then we may be able to provide you with a workaround that involves changing some parameters in a text/XML file.

Please file a bug report with as much detail as possible, including the specifics about which codec you're using, and we'll get back to you.

• 4. Re: AE cs5 no 10 bit output to Sheer codec?
                ninteknohardcore Level 1

Thanks so much for the replies!

I'm using the newest version of Sheer and the codec I'm tryiing to render is the "Sheer RGB[A] 10bf"

I looked at the Xml file that handles Quicktime codecs... and I saw where you can add an alpha channel to the codec but I don't know what/where to edit to add in the "trillions of colors" option to get 10bit output from...

Yes if I choose Uncompressed I'm able to choose trillions of colors and get 10bit output...

I use Sheer because it creates lossless 10bit files less than half the size of uncompressed ones... I'm on Windows so I'm unable to encode using Prores... If you can reccomend another 10bit lossless codec with a low data rate than I can use on Windows I'll check it out, but I haven't found any comparable ones... I've been using Sheer with Cs3/Cs4 the past few years and the workflow has been great...

Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: AE cs5 no 10 bit output to Sheer codec?
                  ninteknohardcore Level 1

I've made a little more progress but I need a little help... I found this article about how to make the Ae 7.0 render the Sheer codec in 10bit... Here's what he said in the article...

"So I went into the Adobe After Effects Prefs file, did a search for  "QuickTime 64" to find the right part of the prefs file, and saw that  there was now "Shr0" through "Shr7 listed, but they all were set to "0" (meaning no 64 bit/Trillions support)  so I changed all those to "1" to enable the Trillions option. After  changing that setting in prefs file and relaunching After Effects 7.0,  Trillions was now an option for the Sheer codecs"

I couldn't find the "Quicktime 64" section in the Ae pref's file or anything related to quicktime codecs....

Now it seems Ae has changed as the codec info is no longer in the Ae pref's file...its in the "mediacoreQTCodecRulesCs5" file...

According to the article I know the code for the Sheer codec I'm trying to enable to render is "Shr7"

So I've found its section in that file....

<QTCodec codec='Shr7' vendor='****' platform='mactel' direction='encode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />
                      <QTCodec codec='Shr7' vendor='****' platform='mactel' direction='decode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false' cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />

But I don't know what to change to enable AE to use the "trillions of colors" setting and render true 10bit.... any ideas? Thanks

btw: I also submitted a bug report

• 6. Re: AE cs5 no 10 bit output to Sheer codec?
                    ninteknohardcore Level 1

Problem solved! After looking for answer and not finding one I just decided to try random things and one of them worked...

I thought it was strange that I'm on Windows and the codec said "mactel" so I just changed the 'mactel' on the Shr7 codec so that it read 'Windows' and now it allows me to choose "trillions of colors" and it renders 10bit files...

So i changed this...

<QTCodec codec='Shr7' vendor='****' platform='mactel'  direction='encode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false'  cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />
                         <QTCodec codec='Shr7' vendor='****' platform='mactel'  direction='decode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false'  cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />

to this...

<QTCodec codec='Shr7' vendor='****' platform='windows'  direction='encode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false'  cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />
                         <QTCodec codec='Shr7' vendor='****' platform='windows'  direction='decode' versionlow='0x00000' versionhigh='*' gammatag='false'  cvbuffertag='0' deepdecodefourcc='b64a' decodefourcc='argb' />

And now it works!

• 7. Re: AE cs5 no 10 bit output to Sheer codec?
                      TimeRemapper Level 4

Nice detective work!

You may want to submit a formal bug report form with your solution, and also consider notifying bitjazz.

Well done!