9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 2:13 PM by davidbeisner2010

Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link

fnub Level 1

Anyone know why my project looks really out of focus in the Encore timeline when using the dynamic link to bring a time line from Pr to Encore? I mean, it looks REALLY bad in Encore. But looks normal when viewing it in Pr.

Playback resolution set to full - both programs.

I tried rendering a small 10 second clip (1920x1080i AVCHD) to 1080p, full quality. In Encore, Imported asset as a timeline and it still looked really bad. We're scheduled to release a DVD in 2 days. And at this point, it doesn't look like it's going to get released at all if we can't figure out this bluriness issue with Encore. Any tips..?

I'm currently rendering a clip to 720p to see if that makes any difference...

• 1. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
          dradeke Adobe Employee

I'd render out samples to MPEG2 until you find something that works for you.  If you're doing a DVD, remember that it is SD not bluray, so 1080 and 720 don't have any real bearing here.  I'd try 720x480 and see what you come up with.  good luck.

Dennis

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you are indeed scaling from HD down to SD DVD resolution, make sure to select Maximum Render Quality in the transcoding settings that you assign to linked sequence.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
              fnub Level 1

Hi Jeff and thanx,

But the quality suffers immediately during the dynamic link process - nothings been transcoded yet. But even after transcoding on a recent test, it still looks horrible. And I did have render with max quality selected.

Thanx for your input

Donovan

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 05:47:43 -0700

To: dsvw@hotmail.com

Subject: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link

If you are indeed scaling from HD down to SD DVD resolution, make sure to select Maximum Render Quality in the transcoding settings that you assign to linked sequence.

-Jeff

>

• 4. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you trying to create a DVD or Bluray from Encore?  I think we are all assuming DVD, but some of what you are saying implies Bluray, so I'd like to be sure.

Your source is 1920x1080i AVCHD, right?

Export a 10 second clip as DV.  Import to Encore as timeline.  How does that look?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

And, though it should look good in Encore, just for kicks try burning a DVD and see if it looks bad on the DVD too, or if its just a graphic thing within Encore...

• 6. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
                    fnub Level 1

Thanks Dennis,

I think you may have solved my problem. I took a 30 second clip from my Pr timeline. Exported media to MPEG2-DVD. Opened Encore and imported that clip as a timeline. Seeing it now as a still before I hit the spacebar to play it, it looks good. I hit the spacebar to play it and it looks really bad. Then I check my playback resolution and it's set to full. But the fact that I saw it clear while it was still was different than my last attempt at correcting this.

So I took that 30 second clip and I built a dvd and played it back and it seemed to do the trick. Thanx for that, muchly appreciated.

But for the sake of research and development, dig this...

The last 3 projects I shot, edited and transcoded to DVD was using AVCHD footage. After I was done editing, I hit the file menu, send to Encore using dynamic link. All 3 projects looked fine - zero issues.

The funny thing is that this latest project, which has nothing different about how it was produced, looked horrible when it was sent to Encore. I'd toggle between the two programs. Pr looks fine, Encore looks not good at all - blury and pixalated. I never saw this characteristic in my last 3 projects - why this one - most paculiar...

Thank God that there was a way aroud this. So I guess letting Adobe's Media Encoder do the encoding was the right thing to do because now my end product in transcoded now even before I bring it in to Encore, which saves a lot of time.

Bottom line,I appreciate your help on this resolve, but I am still totally perplexed on why this one project didn't get treated like the others...

Thanks again, Dennis

• 7. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Check out this thread, too, that I started a while back:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/749373?tstart=0

With the advantages of MPE/64 bit, there's really no point in using DL to go to Encore because you'll always have a slower encode time.

• 8. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With the advantages of MPE/64 bit, there's really no point in using DL to go to Encore because you'll always have a slower encode time.

I thought the bottom line to that thread was to set Encore to use AME, rather than Encore's transcode engine.  That would provide the DL option with the AME transcode speed.

• 9. Re: Playback resolution in Encore via Dynamic Link
                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Oh yeah... I forgot about that!