5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 4:04 PM by Sterculias

Moving still images to a new location

Sterculias

I am part way through creating a slide show and I would like to move the image files to a new location on my HDD.  I think there is a Move tool to do this in Premiere Elements 7 without breaking the links and having to reconnect the images however I cannot find the way to do it.

Can anyone help?

Doug.

• 1. Re: Moving still images to a new location
          nealeh Level 5

You may be thinking of the Project Archiver. But  simpler would be:

• Save and Close PRE.
          • Move the files.
          • Open your Project in PRE.
          • You get a dialog asking you where a missing file is.
          • Navigate to your new location and select the missing file.

PRE will now check that location for all the other missing items.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Moving still images to a new location
            Sterculias Level 1

Thank you for that Neale.  I had an early version of PRE back in 2006 and if

I remember correctly there was a Move tool.  Adobe at the time stressed the

importance of always moving the files through PRE. 

My concern here was I would get the missing file message on every image.  I

take it I only need to identify the location of the first image and PRE will

automatically update the rest of the files in the new location.  Maybe I am

suffering some of that hereditary insanity.  LOL

Kind Regards,

Doug Thompson

• 3. Re: Moving still images to a new location
              nealeh Level 5

Sterculias wrote:

I take it I only need to identify the location of the first image and PRE will

automatically update the rest of the files in the new location.

That's correct, you just need to point it at one.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Moving still images to a new location
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As Neale points out, the "Where is file ____ ?" message will pop up on the first "missing" file, and then PrE will help you locate the new folder/drive. For all Assets, in the same folder, once you find the first, PrE will then look in that folder and relink to all others in that folder. If you have moved several folders of Assets, you will need to do the Find, for each folder, and PrE will find all Assets in THAT folder. "Rinse and repeat... "

As a suggestion on how to set up your Project for the next time, I always create what will be my Project's root folder, with the Project's name. Below that, I will create one folder each for: Video, Audio, Music, Stills, Titles ( often use PS to create Titles as PSD files), and then point PrE to locate my Scratch Disks/Media Cache "Same as Project." Though there is a tiny performance hit, by setting that last location, it keeps everything within my Project's file structure. This allows me to Move, or, when done, Delete everything. With the exception of Captures, the Assets in each of those folders is a Copy, and the originals are still safely located on my NAS - just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Moving still images to a new location
                  Sterculias Level 1

Thanks for the hints Bill.  I have all the images for PRE in their

respective folders under My Pictures however the project is getting quite

large so I decided  it may be better to store the final images within the

PRE, that way I can still move, edit or whatever in MY Pictures without the

risk of disturbing the final project images.  My work flow is almost

identical to yours with all data on a separate HDD in this case 750gb drive.

C:\ is only used for the program files.  D:\is also the scratch disk for PRE

and CS5.

Regards,

Doug.