5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 6:57 AM by rbpeirce

    Adobe Reader plug-in for Safari can't find Adobe Reader

    rbpeirce

      I keep Adobe Reader.app in Applications/Local-A/PDF Software.  When I try to open a PDF in Safari (5.0.3), the plug-in can't find the reader.  I have to point it there each time I open Safari.  I would have thought it would know where to look after the first time, but it doesn't.  How do I permanently tell the plug-in where to look?

        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader plug-in for Safari can't find Adobe Reader
          rbpeirce Level 1

          Too soon to tell, but I reinstalled Adobe Reader and when I opened Safari and then opened a PDF, it found the reader.  It is possible the plug-in was able to get connected to the app properly, but I won't be sure for a couple of days.

          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader plug-in for Safari can't find Adobe Reader
            rbpeirce Level 1

            I restarted the computer and it still worked.

             

            That's all for a few days.  If no more problems I will close this out.

            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader plug-in for Safari can't find Adobe Reader
              rbpeirce Level 1

              Well, it turns out I have Reader 10 but plug-in 9.4.1.  Should I install plug-in 10?  That may have been the cause of my problems.

              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader plug-in for Safari can't find Adobe Reader
                Karan Malik Adobe Employee

                Hi,

                 

                Default install of Adobe Reader X package has Browser plug-in checked for install. Did you customize your installation and unchecked this option which indicates you dont want to install browser plug-in. Other possibility could be that you are using both Reader 9 and Reader X in your system and after Reader X install, you have updated Reader 9 assuming updating 9.4.0 to 9.4.1. This will change the plug-in version back to 9.4.1 (latest update).

                One way to have version X is rerun Reader X installer and it will repair your plug-in to version 10.0.0. As an advise do not use both Reader 9 and Reader X in same system (though this is possible). You can simply delete version 9 application and continue working with Reader X installed.

                 

                Secondly to answer your question that Safari keeps on asking to choose Reader application, what you can do is  open com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist in /Library/Preferences in any plist viewer. It should have a key - WebBrowserUsePath. This should be pointing to correct reader application on your system. Normally its value is something like - file://localhost/Applications/Adobe%20Reader.app/

                In your case you have moved Adobe Reader.app to /Applications/Local-A/PDF Software/Adobe Reader.app

                So change the value of this key to point to correct application. Here it should be - file://localhost/Applications/Local-A/PDF%20Software/Adobe%20Reader.app/

                 

                This will ensure that Safari does not prompt you again.

                 

                Thanks,

                Karan

                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader plug-in for Safari can't find Adobe Reader
                  rbpeirce Level 1

                  Secondly to answer your question that Safari keeps on asking to choose Reader application, what you can do is  open com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist in /Library/Preferences in any plist viewer. It should have a key - WebBrowserUsePath. This should be pointing to correct reader application on your system. Normally its value is something like -

                  In your case you have moved Adobe Reader.app to /Applications/Local-A/PDF Software/Adobe Reader.app

                  So change the value of this key to point to correct application. Here it should be -

                   

                  This was the key.  Since I moved Reader from Applications, the plug-in no longer knew where to look for it.  I don't often run into this problem, but I do have a couple of programs that I can only run from the Applications folder.  I'm glad this one is so easy to fix.  I wish the others were.

                   

                  BTW, the ONLY way I could change this plist was to logout and log back in as the SA.  I am the SA, but I didn't have enough privileges under my own login.