If you have a packet sniffing tool like Fiddler or Wireshark with you, see what is Reader trying to access on network before it crashes.
If it crashes while accessing the network try following (network disconnected):
Open Edit>Preferences. Go to General in Categories. Reverse the check boxes in Messages from Adobe section. i.e. uncheck the first checkbox and check the second checkbox. Relaunch now with network connected.
Hope this helps.
I did do a wireshark capture earlier. Reader successfully downloaded a small zip file from akamai; I'm assuming it was related to updates of some sort. But I didn't save the capture so I don't have the URL it used.
I tried going into the "General" area of the preferences (with the network disconnected). However, Reader *crashed* every time I tried it.
I gave up on Reader X for now and have installed 9.4.1.
I've just deployed this to ~250 system an I'm randomly noticing this problem on a number of systems. It appears to be happinging mostly on the Windows 7 64-bit systems however I'm seeing it on a few Windows XP systems.
I tried disabling networking on one system still with no avail. It did appear to last a little longer before Adobe Reader X went to Not Responding and then crashed. Because of that I won't post a packet capture however any more info on this will be great.
UPDATE: Disabling Protected Mode fixes the problem. This is accomplished with the following registry key:
This however bypasses the new security features that Adobe Reader X provides for you. I don't know which is worse disabling it or having people complain about reader not functioning......
For now it looks like 9.x updates is the better corse.