3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 4:48 PM by ryanmnelson

Adobe Reader X crashes when connected to Internet

RobJake

I have several systems which I've updated to Adobe Reader X.  On *one* of the systems, Reader crashes ~10 seconds after opening it.  This happens whether I open a document or just the application with no document.  Platform is WinXP-32.  There are no error dialogs, the window just goes away.  There's nothing in the WIndows Event log either.

Using sysinternals procmon, it seems to crash when either 1) reading the IE history (why is it doing that?)  2) due to the response it gets over HTTP.

Since I saw network activity, I disabled my internet connection and opened Reader X -- it does not crash!

I've tried:

-  deleting my IE history and cookies; didn't help.

- uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling

- removing Adobe folders in %APPDATA% and %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data.

- disabling the auto update feature

None of which seemed to help.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X crashes when connected to Internet
          qureshi_ravish

Try this:

If you have a packet sniffing tool like Fiddler or Wireshark with you, see what is Reader trying to access on network before it crashes.

If it crashes while accessing the network try following (network disconnected):

Open Edit>Preferences. Go to General in Categories. Reverse the check boxes in Messages from Adobe section. i.e. uncheck the first checkbox and check the second checkbox. Relaunch now with network connected.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X crashes when connected to Internet
            RobJake Level 1

I did do a wireshark capture earlier.  Reader successfully downloaded a small zip file from akamai; I'm assuming it was related to updates of some sort.  But I didn't save the capture so I don't have the URL it used.

I tried going into the "General" area of the preferences (with the network disconnected).  However, Reader *crashed* every time I tried it.

I gave up on Reader X for now and have installed 9.4.1.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X crashes when connected to Internet
              ryanmnelson

I've just deployed this to ~250 system an I'm randomly noticing this problem on a number of systems.  It appears to be happinging mostly on the Windows 7 64-bit systems however I'm seeing it on a few Windows XP systems.

I tried disabling networking on one system still with no avail.  It did appear to last a little longer before Adobe Reader X went to Not Responding and then crashed.  Because of that I won't post a packet capture however any more info on this will be great.

UPDATE:  Disabling Protected Mode fixes the problem.  This is accomplished with the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Privileged]
              "bProtectedMode"=dword:00000000

This however bypasses the new security features that Adobe Reader X provides for you.  I don't know which is worse disabling it or having people complain about reader not functioning......

For now it looks like 9.x updates is the better corse.