5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 8:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Upgrade Prem Pro 6 to Prem elements... which one???

haru-haru-holly

Hello everyone.

I have been working on Prem Pro (version 6.0 or 6.5) for years now but I have just upgraded to Windows 7 and I know that this software is too old the run on Windows 7. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the closest Prem Elements software to Prem pro 6.0/ 6.5 that will work on Windows 7?

Many thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Upgrade Prem Pro 6 to Prem elements... which one???
          nealeh Level 5

7, 8, & 9 all work with Windows 7. Some have experienced problems with W7-64-bit, but I find it works fine.

PRE4 was released when Vista was current so may work with W7. There was a PRE3 patch to allow it to work with Vista - so again, it may work with W7.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrade Prem Pro 6 to Prem elements... which one???
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There was a Premiere 6 and then 6.5 but no such thing as Premiere Pro 6

If you have Win7 PRO or Ultimate, read A fix via Virtual XP http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702693?tstart=0 which might let you run that old version

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Upgrade Prem Pro 6 to Prem elements... which one???
              haru-haru-holly Level 1

Its a premiere 6 that I have.... I assumed that all full versions were refered to as pro... sorry for the mistake. But what I need to know is which elements is most like (or better) than prem 6.

• 4. Re: Upgrade Prem Pro 6 to Prem elements... which one???
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PElements 9 is what is now being sold... there is a 30-day demo you may download

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1636890 warns about buying from eBay

• 5. Re: Upgrade Prem Pro 6 to Prem elements... which one???
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You do have the "full version" of what was completely rewritten at Pr 7.0/PrPro 1.0. There is still some confusion, as to what Pr 70/PrPro 1.0 was. It seems that the program was released as Pr (no PRO) 7.0 for OEM installations, and the commercial product took the new name Premiere Pro, and was 1.0. To make these matters worse, there was a small release of a program named Premiere Pro 7.0, and I have seen pictures of the box and CD case with that name on it, though almost no one at Adobe knows any details of that. I assume that Pr 7.0, PrPro 7.0 and PrPro 1.0, are all pretty much the same program, and was a total rewrite of the code from Pr 6.5.

Now, PrElements went from PrE 4.0 to PrE 7.0, with no 5.0, or 6.0, to get the version numbers up to match the often companion program, Photoshop Elements, which had jumped ahead of PrE by a couple of numbers.

To your question, the long gone PrE 3.0 was probably the closest in look and feel to your Pr 6.0. With PrE 4.0, the interface introduced a radical change to a "cleaner and sleeker" look, but one that I found difficult to grasp, as I was used to PrPro, up to 2.0. After several years, I still have to hunt around PrE to find things, that come so naturally in PrPro.

You will be looking at PrE 9.0, as has been stated, and it has added power, over previous versions. However, the interface is much more streamlined, than Pr/PrPro's. This will take some getting used to. Also, functions, like Export, have been moved about and some of the terms/names have changed. Though one might be an "old hand" at Adobe NLE work, I would strongly suggest picking up a copy of Steve Grisetti's book on PrE 9. That will flatten the learning curve greatly. Most of the general operations remain, but now look quite different, and some of the familiar operations have been moved and often renamed.

If you like Pr 6.0, do not plan on doing HD work, especially with material from a DSLR, or AVCHD, then John T. has a suggestion that should get Pr 6.0 working on your new OS. Two other options are to upgrade to PrPro CS5 (think that it's US$299 from the Adobe Store, upgrading from Pr 6.0), or PrE 9, the current version. Between you and me, I'd opt for CS5, even at more than 2x the price, but that is just me, as I really like the interface and additional power of PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt