11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 9:27 AM by Steve Grisetti

Cutting a timeline

Confused I

This is my first time to every use a program like this.  While working on a video in timeline, I am unable to cut clips that I don't want on my final video.  Any advise on how to do this?

• 1. Re: Cutting a timeline
          nealeh Level 5

Re: PRE9: How to split one clip into two (or more) clips?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Cutting a timeline
            Confused I Level 1

PRE8: I want to delete portion I don't need.

• 3. Re: Cutting a timeline
              nealeh Level 5

Split it as described in the above link, then delete the part you don't want. Muvipix.com has some good (free) tutorials to get you going.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Cutting a timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

An option to the Cut & Delete method, is to just set the IN & OUT Points of each Clip, where you wish to remove material. This is done in one of two ways: from the Project Panel, or the Timeline, Dbl-click on the Clip, to get it into the Source Monitor, where you can alter the IN & OUT Points, or in the Timeline, by Click-dragging the Head, and/or Tail of the Clip to Trim.

Both of these methods, plus the Cut & Delete, will do the same exact thing. The choice is based on where you are in the editing process, and also how you like to work. PrPro actually offers a fourth method - the Trim Monitor, where more can be easily done with just keyboard shortcuts. As with many Adobe programs, PrE offers several ways to do the same thing, so the editor can pick and choose what they like best. On the surface, they all get you to the same end, so it becomes a personal choice. I most often use the Click-drag on the IN & OUT Points in the Timeline first, then Neale's Cut & Delete method. Just depends on where I am in the editing process.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Cutting a timeline
                  Confused I Level 1

I have tried both of those processes but they are not working.  Any other solutions on how to remove unwanted clips?

• 6. Re: Cutting a timeline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure what part is "not working."

If you have Clips on the Timeline, that you wish to shorten, i.e. removing material from the Head, or Tail, just Click-dragging on either the Head, or Tail, will Ripple Delete that Head, or Tail material. Neale's Cut & Delete will do the same thing from the Head, and/or Tail of the Clips.

If you have Clips, where you wish to Delete material from the middle, then Neale's Cut & Delete will be used.

Make sure that you are in the Timeline View Mode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Cutting a timeline
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried what Neale recommended in his first post?

1. Positing the CTI playhead over your clip on your timeline you want to split, where you'd like to begin removing from your clip.

2. Click on the clip to select it.

3. Click on the scissors icon in the lower right of the Monitor panel to slice through it.

4. Reposition the CTI over the end of the segment you want to cut.

5. Make sure the clip is selected and again click the scissors icon to slice through the clip.

6. Click to select the segment in between you cuts and then press the Delete or Backspace key.

I've got lots of how-tos and illustrations on these kinds of moves in my books, by the way.

• 8. Re: Cutting a timeline
                        Confused I Level 1

I had to delete the video and resave it.

• 9. Re: Cutting a timeline
                          Ted Smith Level 3

Are you confusing deleteing video with cutting the timeline?  They are two quite different things.

When you want to delete an unwanted portion of a timeline, I find the easiest way is to cut and select the portion of video you want to delete with the mouse and press the delete key. This does not actually 'delete' any part of the original video file which is left intact but hidden in the timeline, it only removes it from the timeline so you can easily bring it back by dragging the cut points

You can get the aparent effect of not closing up the gap in the timeline looking like you cant delete if there is

part  of something something on another track like a title covering the same  area. This track might be hidden so make sure you are viewing all  tracks.

The end of a title only has to be one frame longer than the cut in the video below it to do this.

Also if you unlink the audio and video, you have to delete both to close up the timeline.

• 10. Re: Cutting a timeline
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Confused I wrote:

I had to delete the video and resave it.

Now you have me confused.

Maybe Ted, above, has defined what it is, that you want to do. If not, please post back, and help us understand exactly what you are having trouble doing. The more detail, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Cutting a timeline
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm confused too, Bill.

We can certainly answer his question -- once we can figure out what he's asking!