6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2007 11:20 AM by Robert Hirst

Flex - WebServices Security Problem

GaryThompson76
      Producing a number of applications using Flex , FDS and WebServices but have a security hole.

using FireFox and a Plugin called TamperData you are able to see and tamper with the data before it is encrypted,
      and sent to the webservice.

e.g. an application pulls in the users username from the surrounding environment (portal),
      and requests that user's (bob) information from a web service, but before the request is sent
      bob can tamper with the outgoing SOAP message and request someone elses information.

Does this make sense ??
        • 1. Re: Flex - WebServices Security Problem
          Level 7
          The solution is simply to lock down the WebService so that only authenticated
          users can request information.

• 2. Flex - WebServices Security Problem
            Robert Hirst Level 1
            Peter, I'd assume that if the data was in any way sensitive enough to worry about that, then the service would already be locked down for authenticated users only.

But I think the point at issue here, is even once authenticated, if the username is an actual parameter passed to the Webservice, the same problem will still exist, except now the user will need to be authenticated before they can see other peoples data.

As far as I'm aware (I'd like to be wrong) but since WebServices usually just POJOs, they lack the normal request information something like a Servlet can access, i.e. who is calling me, what IP are they on, what agent made the request.

In my humble opinion, there is no "simple" solution to this security issue. I'd really love to be wrong though.

One approach I can think of is sticking to purely using webservices, and making it so that every client generates a digital key pair, then transmits the public portion to be stored on the server. In each request, they must then sign some parameter for the webservice with their private key. Then at the server, the public key for the username requested is used to decrypt the param, and if it decodes to the expected value the service can send the data. Now, the user would not only have to know someones username to tamper with the call to the webservice, but would also have to have the other persons private key.

I imagine the overhead and developer time would be pretty high, but it would at least prevent them from tampering with the soap request to ask for someones private data.

The other way might be to route requests via a servlet, and check the username authenticated with the container matches that in the request, and then only relay the call if it does.

edit (note): I'm basing this on my experience of WebServices on Jboss 3.2, where the container takes care of the authentication, then calls a POJO. I believe on .NET and maybe some more recent Java app servers it may be possible to query the authenticated user within a web service method. edit: actually, it seems that this is possible on most platforms, I'd just completely forgotten about it was no good for my requirement that the container managed and cached authentication rather than check credentials on every request.... also you could just use a password stored on the server which you check with every request instead of a private key system as i mentioned, that is almost certainly overkill.
            • 3. Re: Flex - WebServices Security Problem
              bdeen
              Gary, you have a Web Service with authentication enabled for it? yes?

Are you using Java? Axis? if it's .Net and C# its out of my domain knowledge so I'll only talk about the java/axis.

You can get the actual httprequest from axis via some threadlocal capable object (I can try to help with that if you need to).

From the httprequest you can do getUserPrincipal which will have the http authenticated user. The model you have designed is riddled with security issues. You should be using the getUserPrincipal to pull the user that was authenticated via http instead of relying on the Flex application to tell you which user is making the current request.
              • 4. Re: Flex - WebServices Security Problem
                Robert Hirst Level 1
                bdeen, I wish I'd know that earlier, thanks for telling me. I just didn't know where to start looking as I'd made all my web services using the wizards in eclipse and hadn't known where to start. I'd assumed I would need to get that information from JBoss somehow and couldn't find it anyway, but querying axis for it makes perfect sense.

Looks you can also get the SOAP header information which I'd been banging my head trying to find too. Do you know if the org.apache.axis.MessageContext.getCurrentContext() is the right method to use inside my web service class?
                • 5. Re: Flex - WebServices Security Problem
                  bdeen Level 1
                  Robert,
                  If you are using Axis then yes I believe you have the correct class. It should be a threadlocal implementation. If however you are using the jboss-ws implementation and java 5.0 then you can do

@Resource
                  WebServiceContext wsCtx = null;
                  to inject the webservicecontext which will allow you to retrieve every object you would need.

So you first need to find out if you are using the jboss implementation or the Axis implementation of web services.

then it should be fairly easy from there, i believe the WebServiceContext has a getUserPrincipal.

However, if you need to get a user or identify a role I would suggest the following way

Place your actual logic in a SLSB on the backend (Or use a SLSB as the WebService backend), and use the SessionContext, I would also but a restriction on the bean itself with a role that the user should have. that way if you have a common user versuses an admin user you can identify the methods they can call or should be allowed to call.

Here's a small JEE5 Java 5 example

@Stateless // the type of JEE Bean it is
                  @Local(ExampleLocalService.class) // identifies a local interface to pull off of JNDI
                  public class ExampleLocalServiceBean implements ExampleLocalService{
                  @Resource // injected resource, the app server should know where to get this and be able to set this.
                  private SessionContext sessionContext;

@RolesAllowed( "WebServiceUser" )
                  public void doSomethingCommon(){
                  Principal loggedInUser = sessionContext.getCallerPrincipal();
                  System.out.println(loggedInUser.getName());
                  }

@RolesAllowed("WebServiceAdmin")
                  public void doSomethingAdmin(){

Principal loggedInUser = sessionContext.getCallerPrincipal();
                  System.out.println(loggedInUser.getName());
                  }

}
                  • 6. Re: Flex - WebServices Security Problem
                    Robert Hirst Level 1
                    That information is really handy, thanks.

All my future projects are likely to be JEE5 and I'm working through some books on the subject at the moment.

The projects I've done so far made use of Livecycle 7 on JBoss 3.2.5, which as far as I'm aware doesn't have a jboss-ws implementation as it's based on the J2EE 1.3 standards.

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=WebServiceStacks

I may well rewrite one or two methods in some of those services now I know an easy way to get the authenticated user in an axis method, so many thanks again for the tips.