1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 12:22 PM by Harm Millaard

Premiere Pro CS5 Playback and Performance Issues

SuffolkTV8

I upgraded (2) separate editing work stations to CS5 from CS4 about a month ago. I moved from 4 to 5 to try and get rid of some problems which both work stations were encountering.

The problems since the upgrade are similiar: playback from timeline has intermittent audio drop out and video going to black during playback, (new one)-video locked up but audio kept playing-system hung and had to be rebooted.

Also, when clicking around on the timeline or scrubbing the timeline, Premiere crashes.

This type of performance on playout or timeline usage is consistent on both machines which have indentical setups and builds. None of this happens all the time but happens enough to causes problems with workflow. We edit on the work stations, dub files to playback system for air, and use a shared server to move files back and forth as needed but files are always stored locally instead of using straight from server.

These machines are:

Premiere Pro CS5.02

OS  WIndows 7 Pro 64 bit

12 GB Ram, DDR3-1333 (6-2GB modules)

CPU Intel Xeon Quad Core X5560@2.80 GHZ, 2 processors, 8 MB Cache

500 GB SATA 2 hard drive, 7200 RPM, 32 MC (System Drive)...309 GB of space avail

(3) 1 TB SATA 2 hard drives, 7200RPM, 32 MC (3 TB, RAID0 STorage) 2.16 TB of space avail

Nvidia GE Force 9800 GT Graphics card, DUAL DVI, 1 GB

REaltek High Def Audio, Drivers 6.0.1.5953

(1) monitor in use

output of system runs to ADVC-700 breakout box to feed playback system

I have all of my software installed on C: (309 GB of 500 GB avail)

I have all of my videos files stored on D: (Raid Storage with 2.16 TB of 3 TB avail)

The only changes I've made since installing CS5 would be to change the auto save from 20 minutes to 60 minutes. Don't know if an auto save would cause an issue on playback as I've noted above.

I'm not a computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination but I can follow directions if given for testing/eval.