10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 11:24 AM by learner_doug

Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build

realeyes_jun Level 1

I've been working on a Flex 4.1 project and have recently noticed an issue that does not exist in the debug build.  Then when you export a release build and run it the issue appears.  This is the only change that's made that breaks it.  To me this seems to be a bug in the player, SDK, or compiler that I might need to post, but I figured I'd submit it here in case I'm missing something.

Basically it seems to be an issue with objects in an ArrayCollection being instantiated as the correct class type before being added.

When in debug mode, if you set a breakpoint to view the objects in the ArrayCollection you will see them appropriately as their Strongly Typed class.  However, when the release mode build is run it will throw an RTE on that same line indicating that the ArrayCollection members are ObjectProxy and they can't be cast into their Strongly Typed class.

Here's the RTE that happens and right now I just need to know if I'm missing something, or if this looks like a bug, and to which bugbase it should be posted (Flash Player, Flex SDK, Flex Compiler, etc.)

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert mx.utils::ObjectProxy@28250141 to

<confidential package path>.PlayerPageSummary.
          at <confidential package path>.service::InitializeStorefrontServiceResponseCommand/execute()
          at org.robotlegs.base::CommandMap/execute()
          at org.robotlegs.base::CommandMap/routeEventToCommand()
          at MethodInfo-1674()
          at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
          at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
          at <confidential package path>::<confidential acronym>ModuleActor/dispatchLocal()
          at <confidential package path>.live::InitializeStorefrontService/result()
          at mx.rpc::AsyncToken/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::applyResult()
          at mx.rpc.events::ResultEvent/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::callTokenResponders()
          at mx.rpc::AbstractOperation/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::dispatchRpcEvent()
          at mx.rpc::AbstractInvoker/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::resultHandler()
          at mx.rpc::Responder/result()
          at mx.rpc::AsyncRequest/acknowledge()
          at DirectHTTPMessageResponder/completeHandler()
          at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
          at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
          at flash.net::URLLoader/onComplete()

• 1. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build
          learner_doug Level 1

I wonder if this is a crossDomain policy issue.  I'm not sure, but you might try:

crossdomain.xml (must be named this - needs to be on the web root of the remote domain.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy SYSTEM

http://www.adobe.com/xml/dtds/cross-domain-policy.dtd">

<cross-domain-policy>

<allow-access-from-domain=www.yourdomain.com />

<!-- put other domains on each line here  -->

</cross-domain-policy>

Sorry if I missed the point.

• 2. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build
            realeyes_jun Level 1

Thanks for answering.  Regarding crossdomain, I highly doubt that's the issue.  I've run my app in firebug and checked for any failed data calls and there are none.  Also, if it were a crossdomain.xml, from what I know about crossdomain is that the data call would have never responded with data to begin with.  This RTE is happening after I get a response from the server.  The data is there, it's just not being casted correctly.

• 3. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build
              Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Maybe the response comes back before the PlayerPageSummary class gets

registered or the class isn't registering at all, or maybe you are getting

results from a different server request.  It looks like the RTE passes

through InitializeStorefrontServiceResponseCommand so I would add some code

there that reports some diagnostics like the properties on the ObjectProxy

and whether the PlayerPageSummary can be retrieved via getClassAlias.

• 4. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build
                realeyes_jun Level 1

Alex,

That's a very helpful response.  I hadn't thought about that.  I'll look into throwing some console messages to see what the status of that class is at the time of the response.

One question though, why do you think it would be fine in a debug build and not a release build?  Do you think the extra debug code or something to that extent is slowing it down to allow the class to be registered in time?

• 5. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build

We don't have enough information to be making good guesses about what is

going on.  Let's see what you find out about the class and response data.

Usually, folks have problems with hardwired URLs and end up hitting a

different server when they deploy the app.

• 6. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build
                    realeyes_jun Level 1

Alex,

That makes sense.  I would love to provide more, but this is a confidential project.  I'll take a look at the stuff you mentioned, and if that still doesn't help I'll see what I can do about providing more info. (Worst case maybe break it out into a POC to reproduce the issue)

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build
                      realeyes_jun Level 1

Alex,

Thanks for your help and here's an update on this from me.  We did try out your suggestion to see if "PlayerPageSummary can be retrieved via getClassAlias".  I'm not the one that did the testing, but my teammate who did, said that the class being registered was not the issue.

While he was working on that I further investigated our ANT builder and configuration to see what might have been different between ANT building non-debug SWF and Flash Builder building non-debug SWF.  Turns out that my teammate had added some [ArrayElementType] metadata that I was not aware of.  Once I realized that, I added it as metadata to be kept in my flex-config.xml which ended up solving the debug vs. release mode issues.

Afterwards, I double-checked the livedocs and also did some Googling.  From the above it appears that debug SWF keep all metadata without you needing to explicitly tell it to. On the other hand, outside of a handful of metadata tag such as [Bindable] release builds neeed to be told what to keep.

Does this sound right?

Also, do you know off the top of your head if this is documented by Adobe anywhere and what the link is?  I had a real tough time finding anything mentioning how debug SWF retain all metadata.

Thanks again for your help!

• 8. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build

I don't think there is much doc on the differences between debug and release

swfs.  We want to reserve the ability to make changes to debug swfs to make

them compile faster and easier to debug and profile.

Currently, more metadata is pruned, trace statements are removed (and thus

any computation the trace statement would have caused like toStrings() or

any evaluation of an expression), and constant pools are combined which can

change the order of class initialization.

• 9. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build
                          realeyes_jun Level 1

Ok,  so I guess knowing all metadata is kept in a debug SWF will just have to be a piece of knowledge derived from experience and is subject to be changed by Adobe in the future.

It's too bad the documentation is suffering so that Adobe can reserve the right to change things, I understand that from a business perspective.  However, as a lowly third party developer having more precise and accurate documentation could have saved significant time troubleshooting for me. I know that's not your call though.

Thanks for the assistance though, you're always awesome in that regard!

-Jun

• 10. Re: Issues exist in release build that don't exist in debug build
                            learner_doug Level 1

Hi Jun,

I too am a "lowly" developer that is subject to Adobe's sometimes quirky features/bugs issues - many times I have cussed out loud at them (of course they don't hear me).  But like you, I also believe they are an amazing company. 

Doug