2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 6:46 AM by ECBowen

PC for AE CS5

Eva Pilcher Level 1

Hi,

I want to build a new PC and I hope you can give me some advice.

I'm mainly working with After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator and also a little C4D. I don't use a lot of video footage, my focus is more on graphics (lots of layers, camera, 3d layers,...). At work I use a MacPro ( 2 x 3 Ghz Quad Processors, 8GB RAM) and I would like to have the same performance. I can't afford a Mac so I'm going for a PC. My budget is about 1500-2000€.As for the screen I'm thinking about buying a 22" or 23" Eizo for something like 300-400€.

This is the first offer I got:

ASUS S1366 P6T SE, DDR3 Mainboard

Intel S1366 Core Quad i7-950 (3.06GHz)

2x DIMM DDR3 12GB PC3-10667 CL9 Kingston Value Kit

Gigabyte Radeon HD5770 Silent Cell, 1024MB

Western Digital Caviar Black 1000GB, 64MB

This would cost about 1200€ so I thought about maybe spending a little more on either CPU or/and harddrive.

I was thinking about either buying the i7 980x or building a 2 x i7-950 setup (I don't know if that would even be possible). That would add 500 - 700 € to the overall costs. Or do you think it would be better to spend the money on a multi-harddrive setup (SSD or RAID 0?)?

What do think about RAM? Is 24GB too much for one i7 since that would mean 6GB per physical core?

Another option would probably be to buy a 27" iMac, since it is a ready-to-go product and has a good screen included - on the other side it doesn't have a lot of RAM and it's probably going to be anyways more expensive than a good PC with a Eizo screen... what do you think? Is this option worth considering?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Eva

• 1. Re: PC for AE CS5
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is 24GB too much for one i7 since that would mean 6GB per physical core?

Nope. 3-4GB of RAM installed per virtual core is a good amount for After Effects. My home computer is an i7 with 24GB of RAM, and I'm quite happy with it.

When I advise people on After Effects hardware, I stress that lots of RAM is important, as are fast CPUs and at least two fast local hard disks. You seem to have that covered in what you're looking at. Just don't go down the route that you suggested toward the end of your message---i.e., less RAM.

• 2. Re: PC for AE CS5
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I-Mac's are 1 step up from laptops and definitely not good for C4D. The I7 PC of any flavor would be far better. Switch to a Geforce 460 or 470 Video card and you will be fine with the I7 you listed so far. Your render times with C4D won't be the best but it will be far better than the I-Mac.

Eric

ADK