11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2010 12:53 PM by GLarinCA

Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD

GLarinCA

Don't believe the reviews such as the one on http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ which state that Adobe Premiere Elements 9 supports AVCHD export to a disk. It DOES NOT!

I happily purchased the product last week based on this review, and what I had thought was a solid brand name solution for editing AVCHD video and rendering it on DVDs. Lo and behold this product only IMPORTS AVCHD - the most popular HD format for consumer video cameras. My export choice is to either settle for low resolution on a DVD or purchase a Blu Ray burner and insanely expensive, Blu Ray disks that are too large for most of my needs if I want any type of HD output.

Why would Adobe produce such a brain dead product so long after AVCHD as been on the market? As a result of my frustration, two days ago I purchased Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 for less money and it does a fabulous job editing and rendering AVCHD on a DVD. Furthermore it SCREAMS compared to the Adobe product.

I would highly recommend that anyone who has an AVCHD HD video camera not purchase this product and look at the Corel software instead.

Am I missing something here?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
          nealeh Level 5

That is clearly the fault of the reviewer and not Adobe. On the retail box, in the PRE supported import/export formats section' it states "AVCHD (Import only)". Because the list is alphabetical it is the first format listed. You can export to other HighDef formats.

As for the "why only import?" you would need to ask Adobe (links at the top of page). This is a user-to-user forum.

Nice link by the way. I'm amazed that Cyberlink has 94% of the market - I suppose that probably includes OEM sales.

[UPDATE 1]

Actually the review does NOT say export AVCHD. The reviewer quotes exactly the same line as I have above:

3.png

[UPDATE 2]

In the top ten summaries though, there IS a tick against 'Export AVCHD' - but this would be the fault of the compiler of the table seeing as how the review itself is correct.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

[UPDATE 1] Updated to include image from review

[UPDATE 2] Updated for check list.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
            Ted Smith Level 3

So seeing, I already have used PE9 to edit my 15 minute movie in full AVCHD, what is the best way of producing a high def picture on a normal DVD to avoid using blue ray disks?

I presume I can export from PE9 to another HD format without reduced quality?

Can I then use another hopefully free conversion utility to turn it back into a AVCHD file then another utility to burn it?

I have a Pioneer DVD player that is supposed to play AVCHD media as well on normal DVDs (according to the salesman) but have not yet been able to produce a disk to test it.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Part of the problem is that people tend to use the term AVCHD pretty indiscriminately -- and that's where the confusion lies.

Premiere Elements can output H.264 hi-def video. AVCHD is H.264 video but not all H.264 is true AVCHD. But, yes, Premiere Elements can output a BluRay disc that uses the H.264 codec. So it's like an AVCHD -- but it's not an AVCHD.

AVCHD is for the most part a camcorder codec.

Premiere Elements 9 can edit AVCHD natively and output a virtually identical hi-def video in both MPEG/MTS and H.264 MP4 formats. But it's not the same video going out as it is going in. No video editor does that.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Though for a previous version of PrE, you might want to see this THREAD on getting AVCHD to DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
                  Ted Smith Level 3

That might be OK for previous versions but has anyone tried to burn a full AVCHD PE9 project complete with menus to a normal DVD?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
                    nealeh Level 5

Not possible as a media disk because DVD format IS  NTSC 720x480 or PAL 720x576. Some users have found that they can export their video to a HiDef data file and burn this to a DVD as a data file. Their Blu-Ray player can then play the data file - but not all BR player support this feature. By analogy some, but not all, DVD Players can play MPEG or DivX files.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
                      Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks - but that was what I was really originally asking.

How does one export full AVCHD to a hidef file using PE9 and what sort of file will this be?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD

I guess I wasn't clear. AVCHD is a camcorder format that uses the H.264 codec. You can not produce true AVCHD from Premiere Elements.

You can, however, produce MP4s that use the H.264 codec and a BluRay disc that uses that H.264 codec.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
                          Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks

Then are you saying then that what I am editing in my PE9 is actually MP4 and really not AVCHD as touted by Adobe? But they both use the same codec?

I used the Sony package that came with my camera to copy the AVCHD files to my computer then got them into PE9 from there rather than use PE9 to import them because their package makes it easier to select the files in the camera I want (Solid state memory camera).

Ted

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD

Your camcorder produces AVCHD files. You can edit AVCHD files in Premiere Elements.

You can output an MP4 from Premiere Elements that uses the same codec as AVCHD files -- but does not include all of the indicators that would make it a true AVCHD. (In other words, you couldn't then move this file back into your camcorder and use it like a camcorder file.)

All AVCHD files are hi-def video files that use the H.264 codec.

But not every hi-def video file that uses the H.264 codec is an AVCHD.

Nuff said.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 does not fully support AVCHD
                              GLarinCA Level 1

Thanks everyone for the posts. Although I didn't really ask a question expecting an answer, with all the back and forth reaponses the correct answer is really quite clear. If you want to easily produce HQ quality edited videos on anything other than expensive Blu-Ray disks with an expensive burner then buy a different product. Premiere Elements 9 doesn't do it.

I would HIGHLY recommend Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 for those of you who contributed to the responses to my post. it works great, and with one click you can burn a beautiful high definition edited movie on INEXPENSIVE DVDs. They will play on virtually any of the newer Blu-Ray players, since most support AVCHD, and you don't need tp purchase a Blu Ray burner either.

Hopefully Premiere Elements 10 will get it right. In the mean time does anyone want to but version 9 REALLY cheap? It's worth about as much to me as the salvage value of the plastic that went into the install disc.....