6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 9:54 AM by Colin Brougham

HOW CAN I OPEN A CS5 FILE TO CS3???

vernon730

hi I been having this problem with most the files, i dont know why its so difficult if i am using the same program even though one is an upgrade than the other can someone please help!????

• 1. Re: HOW CAN I OPEN A CS5 FILE TO CS3???
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You probably can't. Project format changed a lot between CS3 and CS4, and then a bit more between CS4 and CS5. I have successfully opened CS5 projects on CS4, but they were pretty basic, and this is not an officially supported feature. More than likely, trying to open a CS5 project in CS3 is simply not going to work.

You can try exporting an AAF of your project; go to File > Export > AAF and select a name and destination. Try importing this file into CS3; it may or may not work. If it does, and your edit is complex or has a lot of effects, you will probably have some reworking to do.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HOW CAN I OPEN A CS5 FILE TO CS3???
            vernon730 Level 1

Thanx for ur input Mr. Colin,

Well what about opening CS4 files with CS4??? why is it so difficult they r not that far apart from each other, there must be a solution to these issues

• 3. Re: HOW CAN I OPEN A CS5 FILE TO CS3???
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Well what about opening CS4 files with CS4???

Ummm... what?

why is it so difficult they r not that far apart from each other, there must be a solution to these issues

"Not that far apart from each other" doesn't mean much in software development. Just because the versions are numerically close to one another, doesn't mean that they are at all similar under the hood.

The solution has been--and will continue to be--to not move project files from a more recent version to an older version. It works in some instances, but should never be relied upon in a normal workflow. Project files will, typically, move forward, but there are likely to be some caveats with missing features, effects, and so on. I don't see the rationale behind moving from one version to another routinely, unless you're attempting to move a project from one system to another. If that's the case--and not to sound like a salesperson--you'd save yourself a lot of grief by just buying another installation of Premiere Pro CS5 and be done with it.

It should always be assumed that project files will change in the way they are written from version to version. These are not binary files like images or video clips or sound files; they are XML documents that are refined as the software matures and new features and capabilities are added.

• 4. Re: HOW CAN I OPEN A CS5 FILE TO CS3???
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As Colin points out, backward compatibility is seldom going to work, or work well.

An alternate is to Export an intermediate file from CS5, to be Imported into CS3, and a new Project/Sequence.

Two schools of thought on doing so:

• Edit completely and finally in CS5, as you will no longer have things like Handles, etc., in your newly Exported intermediate file. It will be hard to re-edit, but you can certainly do things like Titles, Audio additions, PiP and overlays.

• Edit very loosely, leaving adequate Handles in each Clip, and NOT adding any Transitions. The tight editing would then be done in the older version, and Transitions, etc., would be added there.

I would look into a lossless CODEC, like the Lagarith Lossless, for the intermediate file. Note: it would have to be installed on both machines, and one would have to consider the 32-bit on the CS3 machine, and the 64-bit version on the CS5 machine. I do not know how well, or poorly, those might play with each other, but I am sure that others can direct you, or perhaps suggest an alternative.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I also think that you meant something different than "CS4 into CS4... " above.

PPS - It is usually easier going UP a version, or two, though even that can hold some problems, just waiting to strike.

• 5. Re: HOW CAN I OPEN A CS5 FILE TO CS3???
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OT - Colin, see you have a new avatar!

Hunt

• 6. Re: HOW CAN I OPEN A CS5 FILE TO CS3???
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

It's my "angry man" persona. Thought I'd give my kid a break for awhile