10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 4:47 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help

Szladek

Hello,

I have very serious problem with my Premiere Elements 9 for Mac.

This program is turning off over and over again.

I have started to prepare my new project and during the playback oraz during the operations on texts Premiere turns off very often.

It wasn't huge problem for me because I was using save very often but the main problem is that now I can not create any DVD nor export this project to any video file because during the encoding process Premiere is turning off again (usually between 65-95% of the process of encoding)

I tried to open this project on my PC with Windows with Premiere Elements 7 but 7 shows this file is not compatibile with previous version. So I installed ver. 9 on Windows (I bought Mac/Windows) and again Premiere Elements 9 for Windows has shown that my mac file is not compatibile??

I was trying to find any bug fix files on Internet but I haven't found.

Can anybody help me? It's 4 pm here and I need to burn my dvds invitation of my son's birthday for tomorrow and I have stucked.

Here are some additional information:

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Mac/Windows edition (seperate installing dvds) - legally purchased

Latest MacOs - orignal

No external codecs

No illigal programms

Only legal software

I will appreciate you help.

Kind regards,

Tom

p.s. I use Premiere Elements for few years so I know what to do or wat to click to export file or create DVD

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder are your video files coming from and how did you get them onto your computer, Tom?

When you set up your Premiere Elements projects, which project settings did you choose?

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free space is left on your hard drive?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
            Szladek Level 1

Hello Steve,

project contains one video (mov) made on iMovie (moving text like in StarWars), one mp3 sound and several still images (jpgs only)

Computer is quite new (MacBook Pro). Approx. 200 GB free space on hard disk.

Project is played on Premiere Elements 9 with no problems but problems appears during the encoding for export (both on file or DVD)

So there is no hardware problem for sure because encoding is quite fast (5 minutes projects need 2-3 minutes for encoding).

Kind regards,

Tom

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
              Szladek Level 1

Project settings: PAL DVD 16:9

Tom

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Thank you for the info.

Let's get started with the JPEG's first. What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those?

Then, if nothing is wrong there, we can start a new Project, that matches the MOV perfectly, and test. Then, add the JPEG's and test. Finally, we can add in the MP3 and test. This will tell us which one(s) of the Assets is causing the issue. Note: MP3's can be problematic, and converting those to something like PCM/WAV (for the PC, and not sure what would be best on the Mac, but others will), might be better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
                  Szladek Level 1

1. JPGs have various dimensions - 500-3000 pixels but they are from various sources (Internet)

2. I removed mp3 and I try to encode this project again but problems still exists

The most interesting thing is that I have created one DVD from this project (first try was fail but second time I succeded) but after that I try to create DVD many many times (20+) but every time after 60 or 70% of encoding Elements was turning off.

The only thing I have changed in my project after this success was one text in this project (these invitations are personalized).

Anyway Bill, I will check it the way you propose.

We will see...

It seems to be long night

Best,

Tom

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides overly-large stills, this might lead to something else:

The most interesting thing is that I have created one DVD from this project (first try was fail but second time I succeded) but after that I try to create DVD many many times (20+) but every time after 60 or 70% of encoding Elements was turning off.

The only thing I have changed in my project after this success was one text in this project (these invitations are personalized).

What amount of free, defragmented space do you have on your HDD's? That can also impede Transcoding, as the HDD gets filled up, and becomes fragmented.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
                      Szladek Level 1

Ha!!!

I found the source of problem

I mentioned that my problems have started when I had added text so I removed all text made by Elements text tool (I noticed that after rendering these object was still with red line instead of green).

So now everything is ok so I'll prepare all texts as a psd transparent files and it will be great

So it is Adobe's error - I hope they will prepare some fix for it.

Anyway, thank you guys for help and support.

I hope I'll finish my project this night because two unsleeping nights are to much for me

Take care,

Tom

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Titler (in both PrE and PrPro) is very, very sensitive to fonts. This ARTICLE, while mainly addressing crashes in Titler, will give you some background on fonts.

Good luck, and FWIW, I do most of my Titles in PS and Import as PSD's.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
                          Szladek Level 1

Bill,

thank you for this info.

Preparing text in PS is easier and faster anyway

Tom

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 technical problem - please help
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

In my case, the Layers (can be individually animated in PrPro) and the additional Styles make it easy for me to choose PS. I do all Title Text in WordPerfect (for Spellcheck), and then just Copy/Paste, edit and Save_As PSD for Import into my NLE. I have nothing against Titler, and do find it a pretty powerful little program, but I can do more in PS, and it's also been my go-to program for decades, so just launching it fills my heart with joy!

Happy editing,

Hunt