9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2010 8:15 AM by DRthiess

Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?

DRthiess

Former Dell Windows XP PC user with new MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.5 with 2.53 GHz Intel iCore 5

Using Adobe Premiere Elements 9 for the Mac.

Experience: Premiere Elements 2, 4, 6, 7 on Windows based PC

First video editing experience on MacBook Pro using PSE9 so far consisting of 3 still pictures with titles and transitions.

The 3 still photos ran fine with no titles and no fades and no transitions.

When I add a title wth a fade in OR add a transition between photo clips and try to preview the edit without rendering the work area, The application suddenly quits with the message (see attached error message photo): Adobe Premiere Elements 9 quit unespectedly.

The Problem details and System Configuration runs hundreds of lines. 

When I click the Reopen button, it doesn't work -- all I get is a white screen. 

When I click OK, I get a Crash Report for Adobe Premiere Elements 9  window (see attached error message photo)

If I render the work area before previewing, the "unexpected quit" problem goes away.  So that is a solution but it is a "work around" solution.

Attempts to solve problem:

Contacted Adobe support person via telephone named Jolly in India.  He connected to my computer so that he could see my screen.  His solution was to download an available update for  APSE9 and the first Preview run worked flawlessly.  So we hung up the phone. 

Then I did one "cross disolve" transition and Bing !! ASPE9 unexpectedly quit !!

Any ideas at all?  NOTE:  This 70 yr old "didn't grow up with computers" is still on learning curve for using the Mac.

Thanks in advance,  David (DRthiess)APE9 Quit Error 1.jpg

APE9 quite error 2.jpg

• 1. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will outline what types of info might be very useful in troubleshooting the issue(s). Some of it might take a bit of digging to locate, but I feel sure that the Mac, has a built-in utility to help gather the hardware info - but I am a PC person, so you are out of my comfort zone. Some of the info might have to come from the camera used, or from a utility like MediaInfo (which is available for the Mac - do not bother with the recommended G-Spot utility, as it is just for the PC.)

The more you can let us know, the easier it will be to diagnose the issues.

Also, our trusted MOD here, Steve Grisetti, runs PrE on his iMac, so just because more of us are on a PC, do not loose faith - Steve will be along, and can talk Mac-specific stuff with you.

Good luck, and please report.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is your video coming from? And which settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

• 3. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?
              DRthiess Level 1

Thank you Bill H. and Steve G. for your prompt reply and suggestions. 

Bill, I started this project of editing the video from my son's, (the coach) boy's team winning the state Cross-Country championship back on Monday (now Thursday 12/2) with the intent of having it finished by the time I see him on Sat.  I'm running out of time to do extensive research and will have to use my "work arounds" the problem, namely rendering the work area before previewing an EDIT (and maybe even "sharing" small segments as a .mov file to my hard drive without previewing and then putting the segments together and later researching a fix.

Note Bill that when APrE9 first quits, I do get "details" that run hundreds of lines -- which mean nothing to this 70 yr. old mind.  I do submit reports into, is it APPLE? or is it ADOBE? that gets the reports.  And what does the "receiver" do with the reports anyway?

Steve.  The camera is a Sony DV camcorder (tape) but I haven't gotten to the video yet.  I started the video editing with 3 jpeg still photo and was trying to overlay them with titles with some fade in's and fade out's and Cross dissolve transitions.  So I haven't even dragged the action video to the time line yet. 

NOTE: I have installed Parallels 6 and Windows 7 on my Mac and my Adobe premiere elements 9 (just purchased) came with both a Mac installation DVD and a Windows installation DVD.  The Adobe tech support said that I could try the Windows version when Windows 7 is up and running on my computer but that Adobe would not support that platform because as he said:  Window 7 on the Mac doesn't operate the same as Windows 7 on a PC.  News to me as I thought that by installing Windows 7 on my Mac, I would get the identical Windows environment with no conflicts.  Perhaps I was expecting too much. 

Thanks again.  I'll report back when I get it solved or if I need more help.

David

• 4. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those JPEG's? Large still images can choke even a moderately spec'ed. computer. It is much better to Scale all stills in PS/PSE, or another image editing program, before Importing them into a Project. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

As for those Mac error reports, I have seen them, and cannot make heads, or tails, of them. Maybe Steve knows how to extract useful data from them?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?

Parallels is not a good way to run Windows because it essentially runs it in a shell on Mac OSX. It's okay for running non-intensive programs like Word, but not for more intensive, serious programs, like video editors.

For them, Boot Camp is a much better way to go because it boots your computer into Windows -- so you get all of your computer's resources.

Ideally, if you've got a Mac, you should run the Mac version of Premiere Elements. But, if for some reason you want to run it in Windows on your Mac, use Boot Camp.

• 6. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?
                    DRthiess Level 1

Thanks once again Bill & Steve.  By always rendering the work area before previewing and by constantly saving any changes, I was finally able to get 4 minutes of the 10 min video edited with titles and transitions for the Girls portion of the Cross Country meet. 

But not "shared" to my Mac HD.  If I tried MPEG or MOV, The application alway QUIT on me.  Bill suggested I look at the MB's of my still pictures and while 2 were less than 1 MB, one was 5 MB.  I reduced that to less than 147 KB.  [ASIDE: When I take a still image picture of the video screen, I notice that the BMP file is exactly 1 MB -- so that size must be OK].

After cutting out the Boys portion of the XC meet, I was able to save (share) the 4 min of video saved to a MOV file but when I tried to save/ share it as an MPEG, I got an error message. 

Thanks Steve about using Boot Camp.  Do I still have to install my Windows 7 software?  It was my brother-in-law, a writer who does only word processing on the computer, no photos that I'm aware of and no video editing ever who was so enthusiastic about Parallels 6 and Windows 7.  If I use Boot Camp to run Windows 7, should I Remove Parallels 6 and the Windows 7 that it boots up?

Thanks again for helping the MacBook Pro newbie (but not APrE 2, 4,  6, 7 on Win XP newbie) with his problems.  I really appreciate it. 

David

• 7. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?

You'll find instructions for installing Boot Camp all over the web -- particularly on the Apple web site.

Yes, you install Windows 7 after you install Boot Camp.

After that, when you start up the computer, if you hold down the Option key, you'll get the choice between booting up into Windows or Mac OSX. Whichever you choose, you'll get that operating system completely, taking full advantage of your hardware.

• 8. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?
                        DRthiess Level 1

OK, I posted this question and I have solved (hopefully) the problem I posed.  Over 7 hours on the telephone with Adobe Tech Support with them connecting to my computer resolved nothing except that "Something on the Mac was interfering with the Adobe Premiere Elements 9". 

The original problem turned out to be that APrE9 kept quitting on me unexpectedly when, as it turned out, I was editing video, when I was rendering the work area, and especially when I was saving video to MOV or MPEG file on my hard drive (almost always since that takes a long time). 

I discovered that when I turned off my MAC MAIL program from checking for new email every 5 minutes, the "unexpectedly quit" problem went away.  I now only check for email manually. 

I hope this will help others who encounter the same problem.  I have notified Adobe via the case # of my solution so that other will on have to spend 10 days on a 2 day video editing project. 

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original request for help on this issue.

Season's Greetings to ALL however you celebrate the holidays. 

David

• 9. Re: Why on Premiere Elements 9 for Mac Unexpectly Quits when previewing edit?
                          DRthiess Level 1

OOPS !!!!

Gotta proof read before posting. 

"...so that others WON'T have to spend 10 days on a 2 day video editing project."