12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 3:36 PM by the_wine_snob

Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???

rodmartel

Hi,

I am not a techie, but following the advice of posted by Steve Grisette, I was able to download the software from Squared5, which allows me to convert my old VOB's into other formats. For some reason, I chose the MPEG conversion and they do play in my 9.0. I have other choices. I think Steve suggested the AVI format.

Can someone succinctly me tell me what is the bottom line for someone who wants to import VOB files and edit them eventually and restore them because the color on the 1950's film had washed out. Which is best?

Many thanks!

Rod

• 1. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For standard definition video, the Type 2 DV-AVI is far and away the best choice, Rod.

This FAQ should help you with the specific settings for MPEG Streamclip as well as a couple of other programs.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

And how nice to hear that my advice has been of some help!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, DV-AVI Type II is the best. The main reasons for this are:

• You already have one MPEG-2 compression, when producing those VOB's, and you want to keep the number of MPEG-2 compressions to a bare minimum. You will likely do one more, when you Export/Share, if you are going to end up with a DVD.
            • MPEG-2 material uses GOP (Group of Pictures), and PrE edits I-frame, so the program will have to do an internal conversion from MPEG-2 to basically DV-AVI Type II, and that takes resources. This ARTICLE will go into more detail on GOP structure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
              rodmartel Level 1

Thank you Steve and Hunt......one more clarifier (please):

I do the conversion and the file property is:

VTS_01_1.avi

How do I know if this is type 1 AVI or Type 2 AVI, which, as you say, is best?

Thanks,

Rod

• 4. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you used the settings in the link above, you'll get Type 2.

Microsoft invented Type 1, I believe -- and they're pretty much the only people in the world that use them!

• 5. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                  gunnar9

Steve, I am a neophyte yet so I apologize if my question is, as Sherlock Holmes would say, elementary.  The recommended format for Premiere Elements is DV-AVI it seems.  However, I am forced to choose to export to DV (.dv) or to AVI (.avi) and an option for DV-AVI is not provided.  I find this in Premiere Elements 7.0, Super, and MPEG-Streamclip.  In fact, your suggestion in the link you provided says to use the AVI export setting in MPEG-Streamclip and the DV setting in Super.  Please help me to understand this conundrum better as I don't know whether to select .avi or .dv for the recommended DV-AVI format.

• 6. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                    nealeh Level 5

In PRE7 use Share> Personal Computer> DV-AVI

2.png

In StreamClip use File> Export to DV...

1.png

You can tell if you've got it right because the clip will load to your project with no Redlines above the timeline.

I don't know about Super.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                      gunnar9 Level 1

Thanks Neale.  I appreciate the pics especially since I am a neophyte.

Am I correct then in assuming that ["Export to AVI" is not the same as "Export to DV-AVI"] and ["Export to DV" is the same as "Export to DV-AVI"] or is it application-dependent as to which means which or something else?  I don't want to infer incorrectly.

• 8. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                        nealeh Level 5

What you asked has become an interesting conundrum. Let's deal with the simple one first - In PRE Share> Personal Computer your only DV choice is the one labelled DV-AVI. That produces a file that PRE just loves.

The first oddity is the MPEG Streamclip outputs. Using File> Export to DV... also produces a file that PRE likes. You can tell if, when you add a clip to your timeline, you do NOT get a red bar across the timeline. But analysing the file with both GSpot and MediInfo neither tool describes the video as DV-AVI Type 2.

The second oddity is I then used Streamclip File> Export to AVI... and selected the Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC compression. This produced a file that MediaInfo describes as AVI but Gspot describes it as DV Type 2 AVI. Yet when you drag this clip to the timeline it redlines across the entire length (so clearly NOT DV-AVI Type 2).

So, gunnar9, you should run with what you know works:

For PRE:

• Share as DV-AVI

For Prism Streamclip:

• use Export to AV...

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                          gunnar9 Level 1

Thanks Neale.  I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy as I learn to navigate this digital video world.

In summary, as I read in an earlier or different post, both the Microsoft AVI and the uncompressed Microsoft AVI as used in Pre are something altogether different than the golden DV-AVI (which is, fortunately, an option here).  However, in Streamclip, you indicate that the 1) export to DV does not red-line in Pre (as should be if its good/golden) but is not analyzed in other software as DV-AVI type 2 and, on the other hand, 2) an export to AVI yields a DV-AVI recognition in other software but is, unfortunately, red-lined in Pre.  Therefore, utilize (with the Streamclip software) whichever one seems to work in Pre and don't worry about whether it is labeled .dv or .avi.  Extending this concept suggests that, using other software(s), it may not be clear at first glance whether exporting to DV or exporting to AVI will yield the desired DV-AVI result.  Hence, the different suggestions/settings for different software.  Thanks for the further clarification.

• 10. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                            nealeh Level 5

Ooops - just noticed a typo. The last part should read:

For Prism Streamclip:

• use Export to DV...

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                              nealeh Level 5

Yep You've got it. The  only real acid test is "does it load without redline?". If it does, then that's as good as it gets.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Which is "better" when converting from VOB: MPG, AVI or DV or ???
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the very confusing aspects is that one program might use one term, or part of a term, when describing the Export. Sometimes, those different exact terms do mean the same thing, but not always. One example is WMM, which Exports as DV-AVI Type I (not the ultimate Type II), though those are close enough in most cases.

Some programs will just state something, like "AVI," and not bother to give the full details. One almost has to do the Export, then use a program, like G-Spot, or MediaInfo, to find out exactly what they have ended up with. It just depends on the program, and how well its Export module was written.

I think that it was linked to earlier on, but the file formats, AVI, MOV, WMV, etc., are almost meaningless, and it's what's inside those "wrappers," that really counts. Sometimes, we can set the necessary parameters to what we really need, but sometimes we cannot - as though life was not confusing enough already.

Good luck,

Hunt