11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 12:30 PM by nug2222

Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!

nug2222

I have been working on this project for so long! Its a compilation of videos and photos and music. Its only 11 minutes long. I had a horrible time creating it because the program shut down every other minute, but I did finish it. As I attempted to burn it to the computer or to a DVD, it wouldn't allow me to. So I have been trying to save it to my computer just so I can open it up in another DVD burning program, but as its burning to the computer, it only gets to about 10% and then says there is a transcoding error. Also if I try to save it another way to the computer as an MPEG, its says there isn't video support and it is shutting down. Can someone help?!!! I tried calling support and they said the only talk to people if you are using the latest version and I have to depend on these forums for help. This is for work and I need it done in less than a week.

• 1. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Let's look first at the still images. What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those still images? Scaling stills outside of PrE, Prior to Import is the best route, and this ARTICLE will give you tips.

Next, can you carefully check your Timeline for any gaps between Clips/Assets? Even a 1 Frame gap can cause Transcoding to fail. I use two methods of checking:

• Zoom into the Timeline to the Frame View, and then look carefully for any gaps.

• Hit Home and then use the PageUP/PageDN keys to step through the Timeline, one Clip at a time. The CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) should jump smoothly from Clip to Clip. If it seems to "hiccup," or "pause," you have likely found a gap. Eliminate the gap.

Those are two of the most common cause for failure to Transcode a Timeline. Also, do you have any MP3 Audio Assets in this Project? Those can cause all sorts of issues too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
            nug2222 Level 1

I had already deleted the gaps before this. The red line does not have any

gaps. Its all smooth. Ok, I do have mp3 audio. What can I do about those?

• 3. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
              nug2222 Level 1

Ok, also when I attempt to export it as an MPEG, its says it "failed to

return a video frame. Cancelling the operation." What does that mean? Is

there anything I can do?

• 4. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The gaps that I am referring to are between Clips in the Video Tracks on the Timeline.

I would remove the MP3's, and then Burn to Folder, as a test, after you have insured that there are no gaps in the Video. If that Burns fine, and test plays with a DVD software player on your computer, then the MP3's might be an issue. I use Adobe Audition to "convert" all MP3's to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, but one can use the great, free Audacity to do that too.

Also, how much defragmented free space do you have on your HDD's? That can cause issues too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

"Failure to Return a Video Frame" is most often due to a gap in the Video somewhere. The Audio can have gaps galore, but the Video should not have any.

Did you get a % in that error message? That might tell you where to start looking.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
                    nug2222 Level 1

I removed the mp3s and attempted to burn to a folder and the transcoding

error still came up. How do you detect gaps in video? There are no gaps in

between the videos and photos.

• 7. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Gaps can be very small, and almost impossible to actually see.

First, I zoom in on the Timeline, to the Frame-level, and step through the Timeline, or play it, looking for a flash of black.

Next, I will hit Home, to get to the beginning of the Timeline, and then use the PageUP/PageDN keys to step through, Clip by Clip. I watch the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) carefully. It should smoothly jump from Clip to Clip. With a tiny gap, say 1 Frame, the CTI will "hiccup," or "bounce." That is where the Gap is. How one fixes it will depend on where the gap is, and what one wants. Say that it's between two stills, I would then drag the Head of one, or the Tail of the other, to fill that gap. If it's between Video Clips, other choices might work best.

PrE has a "Close Gaps" function, but if one has Audio that covers that gap, it will not work.

One trick, that can get you to Transcoding is to add Transparent Video. Drag that to Video Track above all of your existing Video Clips, and extend it to "cover" the entire Timeline. The limitation of this method is that if there is a gap, there will be a black flash in the Video. If only 1 Frame, that might go undetected.

Usually, when one gets the ":Failure to Return Frame," there is a % of the Timeline, also listed. One can do the math to locate that on the Timeline. As PrE does a two-pass Transcode, then 100% of the Transcode is through two passes. The full Duration of the Timeline is at 50%, as that is the end of the first pass. That can be a bit confusing, as a glitch at 75% would mean that half-way through the second pass, there was an issue detected. Usually, if there is a glitch, it will be discovered in the first pass.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
                        nug2222 Level 1

Ok, so I did the zooming and looking through the timeline and I didn't see a

flash of black. I even deleted what I thought could have been problem areas

and it didn't help. I didn't see any hiccuping in the edit line. Where do I

find the close gaps function? Also how do I attempt to do the transparent

video piece you were talking about? I also tried to figure out the

percentage piece? The transcode error is occuring at 10% and its an 11:05

minute video. What would be the time the error is occuring with that in

mind?

• 9. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
                          nug2222 Level 1

Also, I attempted to save as an avi and to windows media, and when I did it

those two ways, it said out of memory and stopped. What is out of memory? My

computer isn't. So is it the program? How is that possible if this is the

first video I'm doing and its 11 minutes long?

• 10. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like the issue is at about 1 min. into the Timeline. Remember, this might just be the first of more. What do you have around 00;01;00;00? Look very carefully all around that point.

As for the Transparent Video, that might only be available in PrPro. There, it is accessed from the New Icon in the Project Panel, like the Black Video, Tones & Bars, etc. I just looked in PrE 4.0, and there is no Transparent Video. As a test, one could create Black Video, and stretch it over the ~ 10% area. Try the Export/Share again. Note: unlike the Transparent Video, this will not yield a useful Video, as the Black Video will cover everything in that area, but it would still work as a test. Sorry about that, as I assumed that Transparent Video was available in both programs, and that "trick," works well in PrPro. Sometimes, the programs get mixed up in my poor mind.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Need Help ASAP!! Can't burn my project on Premiere 4.0 to PC or DVD!!
                              nug2222 Level 1

At the one minute mark is the end of my first video, heading into a still

picture slideshow with music. I don't see any gaps, so I'm not sure what

else to do. I also tried to burn by taking the whole video out if that was

the thing causing a problem.