18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 7:20 AM by Darrell Loverin

How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?

FM_Flame Level 1

Ok so I've read a lot about modules and I decided to build a site where I have a button bar menu and a single moduleLoader, where all of my pages are separate modules. Some of the modules will be preloaded with moduleManager technique so they will be in memory and should pop up instantly and others should be unloaded since they will be used rarely. Imagine you have 50 pages, 45 of them use the same 3 modules and the rest 5 use 5 other modules.

So I need 2 things:

1) those 3 modules preloaded (loaded into memory) and then used - this is not a problem. In the change handler of the button bar I just set the url of the moduleLoader=""; and right after that line I put moduleLoader.url = "module1.swf" for example. This way the ready event fires everytime I change the selected button of the buttonBar and since the module is loaded into memory it changes immediately, which is great.

2) I need the rest 5 modules that are not preloaded, to be loaded by the moduleLoader and when the user clicks on another button, the module to be unloaded and the new module for the new selected button to be loaded on it's place. So here unloading of the old module and loading of the new one should happen with 1 user interaction - clicking a button. How do I do that?

I am asking this because I found out that there is some difference when the module has been preloaded or not which changes the way it unloads. Also in certain cases if a module has been unloaded once and loaded again it stops shooting the unload event by only changing the moduleLoader.url and then you have to specifically call moduleLoader.unloadModule() function to get it called.

And all of this brought me to the idea that maybe the only way to make this work for case 2 is having moduleLoader.unloadModule(); and on the next line after it moduleLoader.url = "newModuleUrlHere";

But then I bumped into a problem with flickering in my buttonBar selected button transition which I describe and give online example of here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/760347?tstart=0

So is there any technique of combining preloaded modules which should not be unloaded + the ones who need to be loaded and unloaded and all of this to be working with just one moduleLoader instance?

I really didn't expect to have so much trouble with modules... If no one can suggest me a working example I will post each case I described here to help me get resolution to this cause I can't get on with my project and it's very important.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

If you have modules that are to be shared and not unloaded, load them into

the same ApplicationDomain as the main app.

Then if you have a table of button bar buttons mapped to urls, you should be

able to set the moduleloader's url.  If you rely on ready events, you

shouldn't need to count on unload events, which you won't get for the 3

shared modules.

• 2. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
            FM_Flame Level 1

Hi thanks for the reply here too

I agree it totally makes sense if I do not unload modules to load them in the same application domain and not as a child. This way I wouldn't have to worry about the singletons I could have forgotten to initialize in the main application If my logic is correct. But still is it wrong to leave them in a child ApplicationDomain since I will still have modules I will need to unload and I would still have to be careful about the singleton managers?

Note: have in mind I am trying to separate the module's from the main application, so the application won't use any classes defined in the modules since it won't be aware of what's in what module.

Yes, I do have a buttonBar buttons which map to module urls.

Ok I will try to setup my questions in a few very simple example applications, it would be easier for you to understand what's confusing me.

http://filip.nedyalkov.net/moduleLoaderTesting2/ - view source enabled - look at testing3.mxml

In the button bar change handler I have:

moduleURL = buttonBar.

selectedItem.url;

moduleLoader.url = moduleURL;

and I listen to the moduleLoader unload event.

On the Unload Current Module Button I have: moduleLoader.unloadModule();

Ok what is confusing me is this: When I start switching between module1 and module2 do they automatically get unloaded because I recall reading that changing the moduleLoader.url property doesn't unload the module just releases it? Also I'm getting the unload event shoot very strange because if I am on module1 and then click on module2 it doesn't shoot that module1 was unloaded, it doesn't do anything. As soon as I click back on module1 then it shoot unloaded (you can see that in my example in the text area).

Another strange thing is that while doing this, everytime you click on module1 or module2 they get transferred over the network I can see that in mozilla firebug. Now if I am on module1 and click the Unload Current Module button the module really gets unloaded and then the unload event is correct and shoot when it's supposed to shoot. Now if you click on module2 and then come back to module1 it will get loaded again, but now it will be put in memory, it won't shoot unload event any more and it won't get transferred over the network when I switch the modules? Why is that ? All I did was unloading the module once and it changes everything.

So I hope you undertstand this cause I have no idea is this supposed to work this way? Would you be so kind to explain me this behaviour ?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?

I would recommend using ModuleManager to load the 3 shared modules right

after the main app loads.  Then use a shared ModuleLoader driven by the

buttonbar. 

You will need to track which modules should actually be unloaded.

ModuleLoader just deferences them.

• 4. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                FM_Flame Level 1

Hi,

that's exactly what I am trying to do. But before I get there I need to understand how the moduleLoader works right ?

Could you please answer me these questions of my previous post which are on the problems that you can see on the online example I've specially prepared for you:

1) Why does changing the moduleLoader.url property doesn't immediately call the unload event on the module that was loaded ?

Note: you can see that from clicking on the "no module" button in my example which sets moduleLoader.url = ""; The "UNLOAD HANDLER" should be displayed in the text area but it isn't (well it is but when you click back on the module you just unloaded which makes no sense) - check the source code is very simple.

Also I did some testing with the profiler, I can confirm that even if there is no unload event dispatched, the profiler shows that the module has been unloaded.

2) Why when I manualy call moduleLoader.unloadModule() on a module, after that changing the moduleLoader.url property would cause it to load the manually unloaded module once and then put into memery and not loaded over the network again?

Note: Again you can try that with the online example from the previous post.

Please share your opinion on these 2 cases, cause I plan to put them as bug reports and some confirmation my thinking is right would be nice.

I hope you don't skip my questions this time sry if I write too much, I just try to explain better.

• 5. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?

I haven't had time to run your code.

ModuleLoader appears to release, not unload, modules.  While the instance of

the module class might be gone, the module SWF itself is probably still

around.  In fact, I believe there is a weak reference cache in case the

module gets requested again right away.

All SWF requests are made via http or https and browser caching rules apply.

But the weak reference cache in ModuleManager may be why you are not seeing

another network fetch.

• 6. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                    FM_Flame Level 1

I understand the caching of the swf, what I don't understand is the wrong unload event dispatching when chaning moduleLoader.url and the changing of the moduleLoader behaviour after a module has been unloaded with unloadModule() - before:getting the swf from the network, after: from memory.

I can wait, when you have the time check out my example, it's just a few simple lines of code and it will take you like one min to test what I imply i see as a problem or strange behavior. Otherwise we are circling around the problem just wasting time.

P.S. If the module loader just releases the module when changing url (I can confirm I see that in the source code of moduleLoader), why is the unload event dispatched? And at the wrong time... again in my example, that's my 1st question from the previous post.

• 7. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                      FM_Flame Level 1

OK after looking at the source code for ModuleManager and ModuleLoader I finally figured out the 2 problems I found.

Probably I will post a bug report or to be more accurate an incorrect functioning for the ModuleLoader and ModuleManager but as for now I can tell you 2 things for the guys that have the same problems:

1) don't count on unload event unless you invoke it with unloadModule();

2) If you want to make sure a module is completely unloaded, which includes the references that the ModuleLoader creates in the ModuleManager, always call moduleInfo.release() method after the unload() method or unloadModule(). Even if you use ModuleLoader you can use the moduleInfo instance that comes from the unload moduleEvent and call release(). This way you will prevent the module from being unwillingly stuck into memory after the second load.

Cheers and good luck.

• 8. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                        Darrell Loverin Level 4

I tried out your sample code. One usability issue you have run into is

setting the module url to an empty string in an attempt to unload it. This instead causes the ModuleLoader to attempt to load a module that does not exist. This, of course,

generates an error that causes the ModuleLoader to unload the existing module. Try setting the module url to null instead of an empty string and see if that makes more sense:

{label:'no module',url:null}

I've written a bug for the usability issue: https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-28274. It should it fixed in the next couple of weeks.

-Darrell

• 9. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                          FM_Flame Level 1

That fully explains the 2 problems I had. I really wasn't sure that this is the problem since I didn't dig up to the SWFLoader when I was checking the source code. I stoped when I found out that the failed attempt to ressurect the module produces the unload event when I switched from module1 to the empty string and back to the module1. So now I see the real reason.

Thanks for helping me out put this into a more clear example to put as a bug.

I tried with null before I tried with an empty string but didn't see the unload event properly dispatched again so I guess they both work the same. I left it empty string in the example since in the docs it says that setting the url to an empty string should unload the module.

Thank you very much again, really appreciated!

Best regards

• 10. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                            FM_Flame Level 1

Darrell, one more thing, what do you think about about the stuck in memory due to not removing reference when calling the unloadModule() method. It is caused because when you call unloadModule it calls unload on the moduleInfo but does NOT call release(). I think that's a bug because then the calculation of the actual references will be wrong by +1 each time you call the unloadModule().

If I am correct you can add this to the bug issue since it's easy to fix too.. just adding moduleInfo.release() along with the unload().

So what do you think ?

• 11. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                              Darrell Loverin Level 4

Yes, please write up the +1 reference issue as well.

-Darrell

• 12. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                                Darrell Loverin Level 4

FM Flame,

I see you modified http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-28274 to add your issue. The original issue in the bug has nothing to do with the +1 issue you added to the bug. One bug should only have one issue. Please write up a separate bug and attach the sample code you provided in this thread. The way things currently stand, no one will be able to reproduce the +1 issue by looking at SDK-28274 (and it will not get addressed).

Thanks,

-Darrell

• 15. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                                  FM_Flame Level 1

Hi,

I saw that the issue 1st issue is now fixed. Does that mean that it will be fixed in the next sdk release which is now Flex Hero? And also I couldn't find when is the official release of the Flex Hero, I mean what date?

Thanks

• 16. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                                    Darrell Loverin Level 4

Yes, the fix will be in Flex Hero. Hero will be released sometime in 2011.

-Darrell

• 17. Re: How to load different modules in moduleLoader - some with other without unload?
                                      FM_Flame Level 1

Hi Darrell,

could you please take a look at these 2 threads I've posted:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/764956

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/764911

It will take you very little time, just try out my examples and see if you can tell me should I post them as bugs or not. If you can't tell and have not much time to look more into them, just let me know I will post them as bugs anyway. Thanks.