21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2010 2:12 AM by ablichter

Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive

reedm

Hello all,

I am using PSCS5 on a Win 7 Ultimate computer with 24GB ram and a nvidia 460 video card. When I go to Bridge>Preferences>Camera Raw and click the "select location" button to change the ACR cache location, I see a file tree with Desktop at the top, and Reed Markley (that's me) below it, and the file tree for me that appears under Users. I see the cache under Adobe>Camera Raw>Cache. I have no option to select another drive. Searching with Google and searching on this site, unless I used the wrong queries, provided no help. There are statements about the cache on other physical drives, but no info on how to get to them.

Can someone remove the blinders from my eyes and show me how to access another drive.

The same comments as above also apply to the Bridge cache.

Reed

• 1. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On my computer after I click Choose... I see the username folder tree, but if I shrink that up, then I see My Computer below that with all the drive letters on it.

• 2. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
            reedm Level 1

Thanks for the response. Life should be so simple, but-

When I collapse my username folder tree, all I am left with is Desktop and my username folder. which has the expected + sign in front of to all it to be expanded.. Nothing useful like My Computer.

Reed

• 3. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
              mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Perhaps you need to set the new drive's permissions?

You will need  to be in administrator mode to do this

Mike Engles

• 4. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive

Ok, I think I understand what you're not seeing in the Select Cache Folder panel that I am seeing:  you're not seeing the Navigation Pane at the left that has Comptuer and other things on it; you're just seeing the path along the top.

To enable the Navigation pane click the Organize button along the top that has a little down-arrow on it (next to the New Folder button), and from that menu click Layout and put a checkmark next to Navigation pane.

• 5. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                  reedm Level 1

Hi Mike,

This is not a new drive. It is my existing C: drive, with Win 7 operating system and PSCS5 and all other apps installed on it. I can't see the rest of the C drive, let alone other drive.

I wonder if it is a problem associated with the most recent update to Bridge 4.0.4.2 or maybe something associated with solid state drives. Never had this problem in CS4.

I am running as admin.

Reed

• 6. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                    reedm Level 1

You're right, no nav pane. However, there is also no place for a check mark next to the nav pane in the layout area. Just pictures of the various sections that will be activated.

Are you running Win 7? If so, how is your desktop set up. Standard old fashioned windows, aero, or what. Grasping at straws here.

Reed

• 7. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                      ablichter Level 2

There was a similar problem with DNG converter 6.2 or before and the Select Folder dialog, which was solved with DNG 6.3 beta.You also might have a look here

It happend when there are to many items on the desktop. Not sure if its the same here, but its worth to give it a try: you can either login with a new username (which means a fresh userprofile and lesser icons) or make a new folder somewhere beneath c:\ and move some or all items to it.

Restart PS and try again.

If it does not solve your problem just move the items back. If its does, move back only those you really need. As the article stated, the border is somwhere at ~196 items (including allusers desktop, etc)

• 8. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive

I am running ACR 6.3 RC and then maybe it has a different panel for choosing the folder. 

The "Bleeping computer" thread referenced in the next post shows the older style of interface.  I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with Aero enabled, so if you're seeing the older style of folder browse panel then maybe update to ACR 6.3 RC from http://labs.adobe.com/

Can you verify if you're seeing the older style from XP or the Win 7 / Vista style for selecting a folder?

• 9. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                          reedm Level 1

I changed my display to Aero, which did not help. Then I downloaded ACR 6.3 RC and DNG 6.3 and installed them. That did give me a full file browsing and cache location capability for ACR. I can now locate my ACR cache anywhere on my computer. Problem 1 solved.

However, and there is always a however, I still see the limited cache location window for relocating the Bridge cache. So we need an update to Bridge. Anybody have any ideas about this problem. I will try the "Bleeping Computer" approach. I do have quite a few desktop icons-about 95.

I do not have a problem relocating my PS scratch file. It is currently the sole owner of a 30GB ssd.

Thanks for help so far.

Reed

• 10. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive

The cache directory is stored in the registry, but only if it is not the default location.

Before you change the location clean out the old one.

Run RegEdit

Navigate to HKKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Bridge CS5\Preferences

If necessary create a new String value called CacheDirectory (is should say the type is REG_SZ if you do this properly.

Modify the value of CacheDirectory to point where you want your cache to be. 

This is the knowledge base article that I found to showed where the Bridge preferences were stored:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332992.html

• 11. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                              ablichter Level 2

BTW: the most recent update for Bridge is 4.0.4 which was released two days ago. Do you have installed that already?

ps

Sorry, just saw it now. Forget it... ;-)

• 12. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive

The old browse panel is in that newest 4.0.4.2 release.

• 13. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                                  reedm Level 1

Hi all,

I do have the latest Bridge, 4.0.4.2, and I still have the cache location limitation. It does not have the new cache location browser that is in ACR 6.3 RC.

I did create a guest user, with only 30 desktop shortcuts, and the Bridge cache browser works fine. So, there is something to the "Bleeping Computer" approach. However, he had problems at the 200 or so shortcut region, and I have only 95 on my regular desktop, and there were only 30 on the desktop that worked. I will remove a few shortcuts and see if that has any effect.

I will also check out the registry.

For what it's worth, I am running the Win 7 SP1 RC. I will deinstall that and see if that makes a difference.

Reed

• 14. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                                    reedm Level 1

Hi all,

I removed 5 shortcuts, for a total of 90 remaining, and the Bridge cache browser now works and allows me to relocate the Bridge cache. This is certainly a counterintuitive solution to the problem.

I will replace the removed shortcuts, one by one, and see if I can find the threshold for my system. Also will try without SP1RC and report back.

Thanks ssprengel and ablichter for your help.

Reed

• 15. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                                      reedm Level 1

The threshold for SP1 RC is 92 desktop shortcuts. No bridge cache browser with 93 shortcuts.

Reed

• 16. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                                        ablichter Level 2
                                        I removed 5 shortcuts, for a total of 90 remaining, and the Bridge cache browser now works and allows me to relocate the Bridge cache. This is certainly a counterintuitive solution to the problem.

So I was on the right track. Good to know - thanks for the feedback.

The threshold for SP1 RC is 92 desktop shortcuts. No bridge cache browser with 93 shortcuts.

As said, other items might come into account, but not sure if those from alluser desktop, public desktop etc. or maybe those in folders.

I read that in another article somewhere which I can't find anymore. :-(  For a test I just put 187 items on my desktop and Bridges shows the dialog as it should be.

• 17. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                                          reedm Level 1

I removed Win 7 SP1 RC, and that had no effect on the number of allowed shortcuts. What is interesting is that if I move the Bridge cache to some other drive, with only 92 shortcuts showing, and then add several shortcuts, Bridge continues to show the new cache location, and under in the cache location window, under Desktop, in addition to "Username" there is also an entry for "Computer". If you then move the cache back to a location under Username, close and reopen bridge, the entry for "Computer" is gone, and only "Username" remains as a cache location option.

So, it will apparently always show where you put the cache, irrespective of the number of shortcuts, just don't move it back to Username and then expect to move it elsewhere without reducing the number of shortcuts.

I am going to reinstall SP! RC, since it was not the culprit.

Thanks again for your help.

Reed

• 18. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                                            ablichter Level 2
                                            If you then move the cache back to a location under Username, close and reopen bridge, the entry for "Computer" is gone

Hm ;-) Not here...

Whatever the cause for this is what you encounter (I never need to change something on the OS, SP so) you should see the whole OS dialog:

Desktop

Libraries

userprofile

Computer

Network

Control Panel

Desktop items:

bridge.jpg

and there are ~40 more desktop items when I scroll down. I have per default 95 items on my desktop. For sure I didn't check if anything was in place when stating I made a test with 187 items before ("computer" might have been missing without I noticed) and of course I didn't relocated it to a folder beneath the userprofile, because I hate that. IMHO ACEs, LR and Bridges cache, and the scratch disk should point to disks different from C: if possible. Which is not possible with notebooks,

Maybe you need to remove some more desktop items to get "computer" in there again when you relocated the cache to a location beneath "username"?

How is the behaviour with the other account on which you have 30 items only?

• 19. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive

The top parts of the current path to the cache is shown even if there is an error enumerating all the sources.  The desktop items threshold appears to vary from one system to another and I suspect this is because it is related to the total number of items across all those sources (down to some level of folder depth, perhaps 1), not just the number of items on the desktop, although the items on the desktop are the easiest to change.

• 20. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                                                reedm Level 1

The behavior with the account with only 30 items was as one would expect. Bridge Cache browser allowed full access to all drives and partitions. My working account, when I have 92 or less shortcuts on the desk top, also behaves as one would expect. It is only when I add the 93rd item that I can no longer see the complete system, if the cache is located in the User area. If the cache is located on another drive, I can see the complete system irrespective of the number of shortcuts on the desk top. As I said before, though, if I then relocate the cache back to the user area, close and reopen bridge, I can no longer see all drives, but am instead limited to the User area.

It is a strange bug, but when I do get the cache located on another drive, I can see that drive and all other drives, so the thing to do is put the cache on another drive, leave it there, and then add desktop shortcuts as needed. Just don't ever move the cache back to the User area. As was pointed out above, this is a foolish thing to do anyway. You only have to do it on a laptop, where all caches and swap files end up.

I will continue to try to determine why this is happening on my machine with far fewer shortcuts than cause trouble for others. If anyone finds the answer, please let me know.

Reed

• 21. Re: Unable to move ACR cache to a different drive
                                                  ablichter Level 2

Just don't ever move the cache back to the User area. As was pointed out above, this is a foolish thing to do anyway. You only have to do it on a laptop, where all caches and swap files end up..

I've got an own partion with the max. clustersize for that on every machine to which Bridges and ACRs cache is pointed to. No problem to mix them up. It does not speed up things much, but the larger clustersize prevents a reduction of performance by lesser fragmentation.