6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 1:37 PM by Scott Chichelli

Building a Sager what gfx card?

wraptors

Hello,

I'm building a Sager 7280 with a i7 980x. They have several graphics choices and I'm not sure what is the best choice. What will be the best performance and what is the overall price/performance? Not sure of the performance jumps between setups. Any help is appreciated.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M GPU with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video Memory
      Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M GPU with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video Memory in SLI Mode [+$200.00]
      Nvidia GeForce GTX 480M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory [+$355.00]
      Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 480M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory in SLI Mode [+$920.00]
      Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory [+$1195.00]

• 1. Re: Building a Sager what gfx card?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It would be either the 460 or 480. There is no sense in dual video cards in SLI, since that does not work with PR and the 3800 is way too costly with only mediocre specs in comparison to the 460/480. Whether the extra price for a 480 is worth it, is something only you can answer. In practice the performance difference with PR will be very smalll with the current version of PR. The most notable difference is 1.5 versus 2 GB VRAM and if you use very large images in your editing workflow, that extra .5 GB can be a distinct advantage. If that is not the case, my nod would go to the 460M.

• 2. Re: Building a Sager what gfx card?
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

1 460 only with the 480 it runs too hot and you have to turn off MPE anyway...

same laptop we sell...

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: Building a Sager what gfx card?
              wraptors Level 1

Thank you both for your help. Looks like I'm going with the 460m as you point out Scott the 480m overheats and the people over at the notebookreview forums say it is also causing power problems. Everyone over there does recommend the SLI 460m setup though. I might go with this for the occasional game I play in my down time. I just want to make sure the SLI setup would not cause any performance problems with MPE? I know it can't use both cards but does having 2 screw it up at all? Also is it probable that Adobe is working on updates to take advantage of SLI/Crossfire?

• 4. Re: Building a Sager what gfx card?
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

the benefits to sli are a mixed bag for gaming.

are you building an NLE system or gaming system?

for NLE you only want 1 460.

if i was doing gaming i would do the 480

nle with gaming here and there 1 460 if you had both in there you would still have to turn off MPE is my guess due to heat..

the power supply is only a 300w ...

Scott

ADK

• 5. Re: Building a Sager what gfx card?
                  wraptors Level 1

I would say 90% NLE and 10% Gaming. The Sager7200 forums on NBR and on tomshardware everyone is raving about how great a deal the SLI 460m is and how well it performs. It does not have a large enough power draw to affect anything and will not overheat. So I don't see how this would be a bad solution for me since it is a great deal for gaming unless it someway messes up MPE. Is this line of thought wrong? Again I really do appreciate your help!

• 6. Re: Building a Sager what gfx card?
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

its your money and you can always take one out if the heat is too much.

they are removable.

i am still running a single 285 and have no issues playing any games including Crysis @ nearly all turned on..