13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 3:55 PM by shooternz

How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?

Dave Dugdale Level 1

I am running some color test with my Canon T2i. As you can see below I purchased a color card and when I hold up the card to the screen and compare the color card to my monitor the colors look slightly different.

I have played around with saturation but I was wondering if anyone knew of a resource of where I can learn how to match the color card to what I see in Premiere?

Do I fill the frame with the card and then use RGB Parade Monitor?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davedugdale/5228690085

• 1. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Acheiving accurate color on your LCD monitor is something that I have found to be nearly impossible to do. I've actually given up trying to get it exactly right. I've used multiple color charts, NTSC bars, and more, and still can't get it right.

Keep in mind, that before you can accurately do color correction in PPro, you must first get your monitors accurately color corrected--that's gonig to require a combination of working in the monitor menus and your video card control panel.

I'm hoping to get some professional color correction software/hardware specifically for calibrating my screens soon (I've read good things about Spyder), but until then I just get what I think looks right and check it on other monitors around me.

If you want to get truly accurate color, it's my understanding that you must use a reference grade monitor separately from your computer's LCD monitor.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
            SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

What monitor are you using? Premiere Pro, unlinke Photoshop and After Effects, does not feature color manged display and so if your monitor is displaying in something other than sRGB (and many do) the colors can be inaccurate. Higher end monitors like a DreamColor feature sophisticated color engines and allow you to change the monitor's profile.

• 3. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
              Dave Dugdale Level 1

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 244t that is 3 years old. I have never calibrated it. Sounds like that is the first step.

The video from my DSLR was shot in the sRGB color space.

Not sure what color space my monitor is in, I am looking at the manual now.

I also have a MSI 240 GT graphics card.

• 4. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                Thrill Media Level 2

Get yourself a Spyder Pro (or one of the other brands) for monitor calibration.  They are not expensive and do the job for non-broadcast inexpensive monitors.  I check my calibration about once a month minimum.

Hope that helps!

• 5. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                  Dave Dugdale Level 1

Here is a video demoing my question:

• 6. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    If you want to get truly accurate color, it's my understanding that you must use a reference grade monitor separately from your computer's LCD monitor.

I agree with the above.  As a general rule, you should only use Premiere's internal monitors for content, never quality.

• 7. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                      shooternz Level 6

There are a few things going on here so I will tryand make, hopefully,  helpful  comments.

First off though... I am not exactly sure what your question is. from what I see you doing.  Its kind of 2 questions.

One is Monitor set up and the other is Color Correction.

You appear to be trying to "match" something you shot to a Color Chart.  Thats not entirely a real world CC  situation.  The color chart you are using is essentially a set up device prior to starting a CC.  It is not really intended to match color for color. eg skin tone and color is not on any Color Chart or Color Bars.

I am also wondering if you are "over thinking" this.

At the end of the day it all about Color correcting "to your eye" ...but then you need to know that your monitor has not taken you down a path of correcting the innacurate set up in the monitor.  Be aware that when you take your "work" out to different monitors, it may look different.  This is a time old issue and will never go away but if  you start from a properly set up monitor..and its displayed on other properly set up monitors...thats about all you can do.

Put another way:  Black, Grey, White  (More important than color)

You want these tones (in a grey scale)  to reproduce on any and every monitor as accurately as possible. 

If you ignore the monitor set up (in Component Video) for the moment ( turn it off even) you can easily set up your image to achieve this perfectly by using the WAVEFORM monitor only.  Try that with a Color Bars and see where everything sits. Should be perfect and you will see the logic of bars and the pluges.

If you have a Greyscale chart...shoot it PERFECTLY EXPOSED ...then check that out with a waveform monitor.  The Black , Grey and Whites should sit perfectly on the waveform.

Try a CC on the greyscale chart while watching the wavform as you adjust shdows/ highlights / mids .  LUMA /GAMMA.

Shoot a pure Grey Card  or make one in PPRO (Pure Grey Matte)

Check it out with the vectorscope.  There should be a single point in the scope right in the middle. If it has any points outwards...that means that it is not pure grey but has color content (Chroma)

Monitors.

The better you have your monitors set up, the easier it is to get something resembling consistency obviously.

I have never used the Sofftware Hardware mentioned but use :  Color Bars, Grey Card Grey Scale  and a color chart combined with waveform and vectorscope to set up my monitors .

It is worth learning everything you can about  using Standard Color Bars ( as produced by Premiere Pro.)  Every chip and Pluge has something to tell you and to aid your monitor set up.   The Pluge set up is really important and very simple to set up if you have the controls on your monitor.

These Bars are also what are used in the field to set up monitors.

The original version of On Location ( DV Rack) had excellent instructions on how to set up a monitor based on Color Bars, Pluges and the Blue Only Mode

I do not know if it is still included in the help files of On Location.  I will find it later and added it into this thread.

Maybe the serious Magicians at Adobe have easier access to the original document and could post it up?

BTW: WIndows 7 has  a very good Monitor Color Management and Set up Tool included ( Advanced Setting)

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                        Dave Dugdale Level 1

@shooternz thank you so much for helping me out. I will definately look for that documenation you are talking about.

I guess you are right that I am over thinking it.

I really like what you said about Black, Grey, White. I will do some testing with this.

I will also look in to the Windows 7 advance settings.

Thanks a bunch,

Dave

• 9. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                          shooternz Level 6

Yes Dave

Black Grey White  and the tones in between is key to it all.  (Camera , monitor ,CC/Grade, display)

We see tone before we see color and the brain does not have much of a color memory.

• 10. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                            shooternz Level 6

http://www.adobe.com/support/dvrack/ts/docs/dvrack_guide.pdf

Heres a link to DV Rack MAnual

It is not quite the document I am trying to get for you because the set up process is not contained for some reason.

Never the less... check page 39 to help understand the Color Bars and Pluge.

You will find other stuff that may interest you in the document regarding how to reaad a waveform and vectorscope.

Meantime I will search out the Monitor set up document in my own filing cabinet.

Heres something similar to what I am looking for:

http://spareroommedia.com/video/monitor_setup.html

• 11. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                              Level 4

shooternz,

I'm finding this thread very helpful...thanks ....

So I dont screw up the version differences ( I use CS3 ) I am going to post a thing about color correction in the other forum, if you could check it out...would be helpful...thanks !

Rod

• 12. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                                Dave Dugdale Level 1

Thanks for those links, I am reading through it and my brain is like a big color sponge right now.

• 13. Re: How Do I Achieve Accurate Color in Premiere CS5?
                                  shooternz Level 6

Enjoy.

Its simpler than it looks.

Break everything down to a grey scale - Black to White.

Color next.

BTW- the little videos you are posting look great.  I cant see that you are having any issue with Color and contrast etc at all.

Dont over train on this thing Dave