4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 10:17 AM by catalyst99

[PE9] How do I apply a transition effect to a PIP?

catalyst99

Hi,

I am trying to apply the "dip to white" transition to a PIP clip, however it applies it to the whole screen. Any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: [PE9] How do I apply a transition effect to a PIP?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With a PiP, you have a Video Clip that covers everything below. If you do a Dip to White/Black, that WILL affect everything below.

How do you envision the Dip to White working, relative to the Video in the background (the Video on a lower Video Track)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: [PE9] How do I apply a transition effect to a PIP?
            catalyst99 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I didn't fully understand what you were trying to relate to me. If I can I'll try and explain myself better. I have 2 video clips, one being full size and in the background and the second being a pip on top of the background video. I only want to apply the transition to the pip clip and not the background video as well. I have experimented around with some of the transitions and there are some when applied just affect the pip clip, but mostly affect the whole screen.

Thanks

• 3. Re: [PE9] How do I apply a transition effect to a PIP?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct. Transitions, like Cross-Dissolve will "appear" to affect the PiP. Actually, they are still "over" the background, but flow seamlessly. When one does one of the Dip To Transitions, the color that they dip to will still be over the background Video.

To do something visually similar, one could Keyframe The Brightness & Contrast of one PiP Clip to what appears to be almost white, then do the opposite for the next PiP Clip. What I cannot remember is which Effects, like Brightness & Contrast, can be Keyframed in PrE. Some Effects can be Keyframed, but some cannot. [In PrPro, I can Keyframe Brightness & Contrast, but have to do a lot more work with Levels, just because of the way that the Effects work. In PrE, some are similar, but others are not. Just cannot remember, what all the differences are.]

I am still trying to figure out exactly what I would want to see, in lieu of a real Dip to White.

Good luck, and maybe Steve G. has a great idea, from his Tips & Tricks book.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: [PE9] How do I apply a transition effect to a PIP?
                catalyst99 Level 1

I guess one workaround would be to apply the dip to white transition to the full scale video and then render the video and bring it into my actual project and turn it into a pip.

David