5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2010 12:42 PM by valmundo

Premiere Elements 9 Organizer crashes every time

spilled Level 1

I installed the Trial version on my computer and later added serial number info to get the full program. The editing interface seems to work fine (though I have not had too much time to play with it yet) but the Organizer has not once opened correctly. If I choose it from the opening dialog box everything just closes (no error) and if I choose it from within the editing part it still closes (with or without an error). When I do get an error it says:

AppName: photoshopelementsorganizer.exe     AppVer: 9.0.0.0     ModName: quartz.dll
      ModVer: 6.5.2600.5933     Offset: 0002efd9

Not too helpful. It begins to open, enough that I can see what it should look like, even with a few video thumbnails etc., but then crashes. Every time.

PC specs:

HP Compaq dc5800 Microtower

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU

E8400 @ 3.00GHz

2.99 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

I have CS3 and CS5 design premium installed on my machine as well.

I'm rather frustrated, as I had to go to bat with bosses/IT to get even this program (instead of god-awful Pinnacle) for small video-editing projects but as of yet it's been a pain. The installation alone took maybe six tries and two separate Adobe personnel chat sessions.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Organizer crashes every time
          nealeh Level 5

Work through these basics first:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Shut down, from task manager, as many startup processes as you can. The existence of CS3 & CS5 almost certainly means there are Adobe backgound processes starting automatically.
          • Free up as much disk space as you can - try for a minimum of 30GB free, 60GB preferably.
          • Run Disk Cleanup. If you know that the last system restore point is good use advanced settings and remove all but most recent restore point.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Organizer crashes every time
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also note that, if you've also got Creative Suite software on your machine, you may be experiencing a conflict with Adobe Bridge.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Organizer crashes every time
              valmundo

I also cannot get Organizer to open.  I have Photoshop Elements 8 (which includes Adobe Bridge) installed.  Am I to understand that I have to uninstall Photosop Elements 8 just to get Organizer to work properly?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Organizer crashes every time
                nealeh Level 5

You don't need to uninstall anything. Adobe Bridge is not a part of Photoshop or Premiere Elements. If you have Bridge it must be an old version (when it could be bought separately or part of a Premiere Pro installation. It will be running as a process though and you should end this process (using the Task Manager - [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del]) before installing PRE8 and PRE9.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Organizer crashes every time
                  valmundo Level 1

I just checked Activity Monitor on my Mac and Adobe Bridge is not running.  However, Organizer still crashes.  In fact, I have never been able to open Organizer itself.

I have been able to work within Elements 9 and have imported about 20 Gigs of video files to begin my editing.  Apparently, I won't be able to use some of the media management tools / features contained within Organizer since I can't open it.

Any other suggestions.  Just as an FYI, when I try to launch Organizer, it appears to be scanning the files that were imported into Elements 9, but at some point, the application unexpectly quits.