2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 7:22 PM by Dave LaRonde

[CS4] Updating Only AE to CS5 from CS4

HarryPutnam Level 1

Hoping to get some experienced guidance about the value of update to AE CS5 from the Production Premium of CS4.

Would there be snafus involved when say premier from CS4 interacts with AE updated to CS5.

Would there be any serious advantages to making that kind of upgrade?

So far as an eventual upgrade overall to CS5 goes, would having upgraded AE turn out to be an extra expenditure... That is, would I end up paying for it twice to speak?

• 1. Re: [CS4] Updating Only AE to CS5 from CS4
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I don't understand why you would want to do this. There are huge improvements in several of the CS5 applications, including Premiere Pro and Photoshop.

I am also not sure that it's possible to upgrade a single application from a suite in this way.

> Would there be snafus involved when say premier from CS4 interacts with AE updated to CS5

Yes. Dynamic Link and other features rely on the application versions being in synch.

• 2. Re: [CS4] Updating Only AE to CS5 from CS4
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

I've made the change from Production Premium CS4 to adding AE 10 only.  Since I have absolutely NO problems, I'm confident in recommending the following:

If you have any other updates to make, save them, and un-register (not the proper term) your copy of CS4 Production Premium.  You'll find how to do it in Photoshop's Help menu.

Install any newer media applications: quicktime comes to mind.

Reinstall CS4 production Premium.

Run any and ALL updates for CS4 Production premium, in all applications, if necessary.

Install After Effects CS5, and run the update application under the Help menu.

I've been running both for three weeks, with absolutely NO complaints.  Yes, it does take time... but which would you rather have in the long run: a fast install and problems, or a painstaking install and NO problems?