8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2010 4:39 PM by cvid01

Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)

rumspringa00

I am having trouble locating AME in C:>Program Files (x86)>Adobe>Premiere Pro CS5.  This is the trial version, Installed it about a week ago and had to reinstall because of a system restore I had to do.  Last time I installed it, there was a sub folder with a shortcut to AME.   Now I get a dead link labled Adobe Media Converter and when I click on it, I get a "file can't be located" error message.  Anyone here having the same issue?  I don't want to take the risk of purchasing a corrupt file.  Adobe clean tool didn't detect anything.

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless you completely wipe your hard drive (fdisk and/or format) you may NOT reinstall the trial version

It puts a special code on a normally hidden part of your hard drive that then allows only ONE 30 day trial install

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)
            rumspringa00 Level 1

Thanks, I figured it had something to do with reinstalling premiere as a trial.  I wonder if I purchase, will I be able to access AME again.. is there a zip file floating around that I could extract to my hard drive? I couldn't find a stand alone AME app here. Any info and/or links would be appreciative, thanks again.

• 3. Re: Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

AME and EN are an integral part of PR and not available as a separate download.

• 4. Re: Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)
                rumspringa00 Level 1

Defragmenter>Disk cleanup worked fine.  As for Encore being an integral part of Premiere Pro, I CAN Install It as stand alone where AME only comes with Premiere Pro.  Thanks anyway's but I figured it out.  Deleted premiere, defragment hard drive (gets everything into it's ritefull place), then run a disk cleanup which deletes the supposedly "hidden" files that premiere installs.  I wish I had just thought of this in the first place, a lot better than wiping my hard drive.

I think i'll take my future posts elsewhere.  

To anyone reading this post with similar problems.  DO NOT WIPE YOUR HARD DRIVE!!  First run Defragmenter which should come standard with 64 bit Vista, than run a disk cleanup, restart than reinstall.  I wouldn't recommend doing this after every 30 day trial as I only performed these steps because I had to do a system restore and DO plan on purchasing the software from Adobe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------

For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases wisdom, increases sorrow.     

• 5. Re: Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

For regular versions of CS5, it pays to use the Clean Script CS5 tool: Run — Adobe CS5 Cleaner Tool

That effectively cleans up the registry entries that were left behind after removal of the software. It is HIGHLY recommended to use that utility a couple of times, rebooting in between, after uninstalling the CS5 software. Much better than a complete re-install if that is not necessary.

• 6. Re: Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I think i'll take my future posts elsewhere.  

Why?  The information you got was accurate.

John was describing the situation if you exceed your 30 days with the trial.  Harm was talking about obtaining En and AME separately from Pr; he wasn't talking about installing them separately.

Finally, you went looking for a 64-bit app in Windows' 32-bit Program Files (x86) folder.  64-bit apps are found in the plain ol' Program Files folder.  You were looking in the wrong place.

If you feel hard done by the other users here, I understand.  But I doubt you'll find as knowledgeable a group elsewhere, and you certainly won't find the employee participation that you get here anywhere else.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)
                      rumspringa00 Level 1

Shouldn't have to wipe a hard drive to get a piece of software up and running... detrimental info for anyone who's less than tech savvy.  I'm no guru but I've never had to wipe a hard drive for a program that is licensed and not pirated.  The 32bit pr folder pertained to where the link sat..    

• 8. Re: Can't locate Adobe Media Encoder Vista (64bit)
                        cvid01 Level 4

It should be located as:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder CS5

It's 64 bit, and should be in the "Program Files"  not "Program Files (x86)"

At least that's where my AME is located.