6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 7:41 AM by maj.photo

Canon 7D Raw Files & PSE Issue - ACR 5.6/6.1/6.2 all underexpose

lesaus44

The problem I was experiencing with PSE7 and ACR 5.6 has not been resolved with PSE9 and ACR 6.1/6.2.

The issue is that the 7D raw thumbnails in the organizer and the images opened in the raw converter are displayed a stop underexposed.  My 50D raw files do not display this problem.  7D jpeg's display with the correct exposure (the .jpg and .cr2 files are captured in the camera simultaneously).  Canon's DPP and FastStone image viewer both display the 7D raw files with the correct exposure, thumbnails and opened in the editors.  Therefore, the issue lies within PSE and ACR.  When converting these raw files, the exposure must be increased a full stop to bing them in line with the corresponding jpegs.

This is not a camera setup issue, as I have done extensive testing.  Friends have told me to use LR3 for raw conversion, but I don't want to spend hundreds more for features that I don't need and won't use.

Note again that this phenomena is related only to 7D raw files in PSE and ACR - other raw converters handle these raw files correctly.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Ed

• 1. Re: Canon 7D Raw Files & PSE Issue - ACR 5.6/6.1/6.2 all underexpose
          Vit Novak Level 3

From my remembering, this happens when highlight priority is turned on, so camera essentially underexposes picture by 1 stop to have more highlight headroom, and ACR doesn't handle this.I think there are two solutions (or combination) for this

- move exposure slider to +1EV, but since this trimms off highlight headroom on the raw, you may have to use recovery slider also, in case you have some blown highlights after adjusting exposure slider

- move brightness slider from default value (+50) to the right

• 2. Re: Canon 7D Raw Files & PSE Issue - ACR 5.6/6.1/6.2 all underexpose
            ablichter Level 2

Don't have PSE here, but ACR applies the "Adobe Standard" camera profile per default. Did you ever try to switch to "Camera Standard"? I noticed this makes a huge difference on some NEF and lightens the test 7D RAW I have here as well a bit:

adobe.jpg

DPP/ACR w. Adobe Standard

DPP.jpg

DPP/ACR w. Camera Standard

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Canon 7D Raw Files & PSE Issue - ACR 5.6/6.1/6.2 all underexpose
              lesaus44 Level 1

Thank you for your response.  "Camera Standard" does make a slight difference in the raw converter - maybe 1/2 stop.  However, not up to DPP's rendering of the thumbnails and in the editor.

• 4. Re: Canon 7D Raw Files & PSE Issue - ACR 5.6/6.1/6.2 all underexpose
                lesaus44 Level 1

Thank you for your response.  In my testing, highlight tone priority is turned off, as I never use it.  The issue is that PSE/ACR doesn't display 7D raw thumbnails in the organizer nor the raw image in the editor with with the correct exposure.  DPP does both correct, so the issue is with the combination of PSE and ACR.

A friend suggested LR3, which is what he uses to convert his 7D images (they display with the correct exposure).  I hate to have to throw a couple hundred dollars more at the problem, but, I am rather anal and cannot accept software that doesn't perform correctly.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Canon 7D Raw Files & PSE Issue - ACR 5.6/6.1/6.2 all underexpose
                  MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

For in-camera JPEGs and default DPP renderings, the camera applies auto lighting optimizer & a different tone curve to the images by default than ACR. This is neither good nor bad, just a different choice.

If you prefer your 7D images brighter like this when processing in ACR, just increase the Exposure and/or Brightness slider, and save that as your default. Then you won't have to adjust again in future.

• 6. Re: Canon 7D Raw Files & PSE Issue - ACR 5.6/6.1/6.2 all underexpose
                    maj.photo

HI all,

Have had the same problem since I bought my 7d a few months ago.

Yes you can set the exposure to +1 on the set up, which is what you end up doing anyway, but you shouldnt have to start adding noise to the pictures from the word go. It's really anoying since the DPP software has a much better rendition of the RAW files but does not have the same level of editing tools as ACR.

It would be nice if someone (adobe) acknowledge the problem and came up with a solution.

Thanks