28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 1:56 AM by Powered by Design

Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame

geobrick

Is there a way to view the contents of a single field in Premier Pro?

I want to be able to see the detailed contents of a film transfer. The film was transferred to an interlaced NTSC format (720x480 29.97fps) but I specified the transfer capture each frame of film to a frame of digital video (2 video fields for each frame of file). In other words, each field pair scanned the same frame of film but was offset by the alternate scan line position. The combined fields would produce the full resolution equivalent to a progressive video frame.

If I export a frame, am I getting both fields or am I getting just the upper, lower or a blended output?

When I export to a progressive format will I get the desired combined fields into one progressive frame without any blend processing?

These are the questions I hope answer by being able to isolated each field in the source material.

• 1. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
          shooternz Level 6

Now ..I am not in front of my CS5 puter but I think ( I am sure)  that there is an option in the Playback Menu  to view uppper, lower or both fields.

I was checking an AVCHD mts file "issue" in a project the other day and ran across it.

• 2. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
            geobrick Level 1

Yes. I see that I can choose which field in the current frame I'm viewing. Thanks.

The only thing that would make it more useful to me would be if when premiere displays the single field, it would display it without processing the single field into a single frame (line doubling or whatever it's doing to make the field appear as a full resolution frame. I'd prefer to see the gaps between the lines than for it to be filled in with processed video. Then I'd know for sure that premiere is using both fields to produce the film frame instead of throwing away one field and doubling it when I render it to a distribution format.

I tried exporting the frame to view it in photo shop but there doesn’t seem to be an option for exporting a single field. Maybe there's some way in After Effects. Thanks for your quick reply. 

• 3. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Then I'd know for sure that premiere is using both fields to produce the film frame instead of throwing away one field and doubling it when I render it to a distribution format.

Well, if you're using an interlaced sequence and are exporting to a progressive output, then yes, Premiere just chucks away one of the fields. The deinterlacer in Premiere leaves a lot to be desired; using the Maximum Render Quality improves things a bit, but not enough to call it "good" in my opinion. If you're going to an interlaced format, however, the fields will be preserved.

I'm not clear on what your source material is or your intended use; can you explain a bit more fully? It sounds like you're using telecined film footage (presumably 24fps) from DV tape. Is that the case? If so, what is it exactly that you're trying to preserve (or remove)? I just get the feeling that there's a bit of information missing that would make this more usuable to you...

• 4. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                geobrick Level 1

Here's the full story. I may have made things more complicated than it needs to be.

About two years ago I had some 8mm and 16mm film transfered to digital by Debenham media group (Mymovietranfer.com). They use 

Rank Cintel Turbo II Telecines for the transfer and the final format (at the time before they offered HD) was uncompressed 4:2:2 formatted for a PC in .mov files. These files have a 720 x 486 resolution at the NTSC interlaced format (29.976 fps) (using the black magic codec).

Their typical solution would have used the standard film to digital method using where the 16fps film frame rate would be manipulated into the 29.976fps interlaced format. At the time I thought all this extra processing seemed unnecessary. We were in the digital video age. Many TVs can display progressive formats. Why not scan the film progressively.

I knew premiere pro had the ability to “interpret footage”. Instead of manipulating the transfer frame rate to fit the NSTC format, what if I had the film transferred where one frame of film equaled one frame of video? Two fields per frame of film without any pull down frame sequencing manipulation. I talked to Stuart Debenham and he said it could be done.

So long story short (too late?)….

The source material includes 8mm and 16mm film captured at 29.976 fps. Each film frame is one video frame made up of two fields.

Since the original film is mostly at 16 fps, the transferred video files would naturally play back at about double the actual speed. At this point I’d have several options in converting the file to a true progressive format.

1) Interpret the footage as 16fps and format the sequence as 24p. There would be some repeated frames but it’s an even calculation (every third frame is repeated).

2) Interpret the footage as 15 fps and format the sequence as 30p. The speed wouldn’t be as accurate (if even noticeable) but the playback would be smoother with just a doubling of each frame).

2a) I could theoretically also format the sequence to 30i since each interlaced field is made from the same film frame. The two fields would make up the full frame.

What I don’t want is to lose the video content in one of the fields or I’d be throwing away half the real resolution. That is the intent of my original question. How do I insure premiere pro isn’t throwing away (or blending) these fields with content vital to the full resolution of the captured film.

• 5. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, that's much more clear now

Well, to my mind, this is a task better suited for After Effects, which can separate out the fields of an interlaced video and then do some more exacting manipulation on those fields. Premiere Pro is going to be more limited in this regard, and I'm not quite positive about how to achieve precisely what you're looking for. I think that, no matter what you try, you're going to end up with some frame interpolation, simply because of the nature of any film-video transfer, but it sounds like you're already aware of the issues and how to best address them.

I think the bottom line is that, if you're hoping to create a progressive source out of this interlaced material, with Premiere at least, you'll have to accept some compromises. That's why I say that After Effects is likely to be a better tool for this job, as you have much more finite control over how the interlacing will be handled and how you will interpolate any necessary frames to get to a real-time playback. A video scripting tool like AviSynth would also probably be an option; I'm sure you're not the first person to do this, so hit up Google about using AviSynth to retime this footage.

This is actually a pretty interesting challenge; I wish I had more coherent advice to offer as to how to complete it, but without being able to test some workflows, it would all be conjecture. I hope someone else can offer some insight for you!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                    geobrick Level 1

Thanks, I'll try some experimenting. After effects may be the right tool to ensure I get both fields making up the frame in the edited distribution format.

• 7. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                      SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

Premiere Pro's high quality deinterlacer came from AE. For frame rate mismatches we will only blen frames if frame blending is on, which is now off by default in CS5. Going 30i to 60p will deinterlace each field to one frame. If you want to know what fields and times are sampled for each rendered frame use the timecode effect. Note that it renders at sequence framerate, not media, so some nesting may be required to achieve the desired result.

• 8. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                        geobrick Level 1

Thanks, I'll have to learn what nesting is (sounds like what I want to do if it means nesting two interlaced fields into one progressive frame).

I get that frame blending is off by default (thanks for that) but what am I looking at in the monitor when I select "display first field"? What does premiere do to display the 240 line field as if it's 480 lines? Does it double each line or is there some interpolation? It must be doing something otherwise I'd see the blank lines or a squashed image. 

Are you saying that putting the 30i source into a 60p sequence takes each field and puts it in its own frame? Interesting but I don't know if that will help with my end goal.

• 9. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                          What does premiere do to display the 240 line field as if it's 480 lines? Does it double each line or is there some interpolation? It must be doing something otherwise I'd see the blank lines or a squashed image. 

I don't know officially what is happening, but my guess would be line doubling; interpolation of a new line would incur too much of a processor hit, and since you're looking for field artifacts/issues, interpolation would cover those up. One way you could test this would be to set the zoom for the monitor to 400%, and then toggle between the first field/second field/both fields option. At least in the footage I'm looking at, the lines appear to double when you're in first/second field mode.

Ultimately, it's important to note that these are viewing settings only, and have nothing to do with the sequence or the eventual output. They're merely for confidence checking within the Source and Program Monitors.

• 10. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Another thing to note is that all computer monitors are progressive display only.  You can't get a truly interlaced image out of them.  Even if you send it one, the monitor itself will turn it into progressive.  This is one reason why anyone working with interlaced media needs to use an external CRT for quality control.  Progressive monitors (which includes all flat panel models) simply do not have the capability of properly showing an interlaced image.

• 11. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                              geobrick Level 1

Colin, Confidence building is what I'm looking for at that step. I want to insure that I can see the two independent fields of the frame. The next step would be to make sure they are used to produce the progressive frame without any processing beyond using each alternating line.

I do see a shift up (or down) in the image when I select "display first field or 2nd field. That indicates to me that the two fields are there. I could probably zoom in on the frame while displaying both fields to see that there's no line doubling with both fields while it would be apparent if I had one field displayed.

• 12. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                                geobrick Level 1
                                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JSS1138 wrote:

Another thing to note is that all computer monitors are progressive display only.  You can't get a truly interlaced image out of them.  Even if you send it one, the monitor itself will turn it into progressive.  This is one reason why anyone working with interlaced media needs to use an external CRT for quality control.  Progressive monitors (which includes all flat panel models) simply do not have the capability of properly showing an interlaced image.

Understood.

At this point, I'm just trying to see how premiere is handling the interlaced image.

I suppose a good test would be to take a real interlaced source and try to output a progressive file and if I see interlacing artifacts, I'll know I have the right solution. I know most people try to avoid the artifacts but in the case of my source file, both fields have scanned the same image so the result will be a true progressive image not one made up of only 1 field or a blend of the fields.

All this information is a great start to my experimenting and I'll let you all know what worked.

Thanks for all the quick replies on a sunday. 

• 13. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  I'm just trying to see how premiere is handling the interlaced image.

In an interlaced sequence, going to an interlaced export, it will leave things as they are.  Using a progressive sequence or export is where things change.

• 14. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                                    geobrick Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

I'm just trying to see how premiere is handling the interlaced image.

In an interlaced sequence, going to an interlaced export, it will leave things as they are.  Using a progressive sequence or export is where things change.

That is true. Interlaced to interlaced is fine.

In my interlaced source, every pair of interlaced fields have scanned the same image (one frame of film). If I can deinterlace it without throwing out one of the fields or without any blending process between the fields, I will end up with a true, full resolution progressive frame.

I did some experimenting on an interlaced HDV source. By interpreting the footage as progressive and putting it into a progressive sequence, it seems to maintain both fields in each frame (when setting the monitor to display both fields). You can clearly see the interlacing artifacts but I can't tell if there was any attempt at processing (had to tell in the fuzziness of the zoomed in image - I can try some experiments with some deinterlaced tiff exports to compare the frames. 

So far this is leading me to believe that if I interpret my source material as progressive, it will maintain both fields of the original transfer.

• 15. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      If I can deinterlace it without throwing out one of the fields

It's my understanding that such is not possible within Premiere.  Unless things changed for CS5 (and it could well be they have), Premiere's only option for deinterlacing is to throw out one field.

• 16. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame
                                        geobrick Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

If I can deinterlace it without throwing out one of the fields

It's my understanding that such is not possible within Premiere.  Unless things changed for CS5 (and it could well be they have), Premiere's only option for deinterlacing is to throw out one field.

You are probably right that you can't deinterlace without tossing out a field or processing of some type. That's the whole point of deinterlacing.

I should probably call what I need to do something else. I really want to combine two interlaced fields into a progressive frame. That's kind of the opposite of deinterlacing.

It seemed that interpreting the footage as progressive and putting it on the timeline in a progressive sequence does just that,  I need to try a few more experiments to confirm.

For the purposes of this thread, my initial question on whether you can see both fields in the monitor was answered. If there are anymore suggestions on accomplishing my goal of combining two interlaced fields into a progressive frame I welcome them (even if it just confirms the path I'm heading down or offers a good test I can try.)

• 17. Re: Viewing a single field of an interlaced frame