9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2011 6:21 AM by RobbyP8649 RSS

Import Word/Excel document option greyed out

hmossfry

For a class assignment I am instructed to import a Word document using Import -> Word Document.  The problem is that the option to import Word & Excel documents is greyed out.  Yes, I have the destination file open when I try to import the document.  This does not change even if I create a new, blank HTML file and try to import the document into that file.

My system:
      Dreamweaver CS5

Microsoft Office 10

Windows 7

64-bit processor

Could this be an incompatability with 64-bit system?  That's the only thing that's out of the norm on my computer.  Is there something that I can change to make this option work on my system?

Thanks.

Heather

• 1. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
          james2483 Community Member

Are you looking at Dreamweaver in Live View...?

If so switch it back to design view.

• 2. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
            hmossfry Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion.  When I toggle Live View on, all of the import choices are greyed out.  When I toggle Live View off  "XML into template" & "tabular data" become available, but the Word and Excel options are still greyed out.

• 3. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
              David_Powers CommunityMVP

Import Word Document does work with Windows 7 64 bit. I have just tested it, and can confirm that it works.

The secret is to make sure that the focus is in Design view. Click inside the Document window if the import options are greyed out.

• 4. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
                hmossfry Community Member

Ok - I received a response from tech support (it's been a while, but I figured that this might be helpful to someone else with this issue).

Drumroll, please:

"Office 10 came out after Dreamweaver CS5 & is not supported"

Too bad they didn't put this little tibit with the older versions (Office 97 & earlier, I think) not being supported either.

No mention of a patch either available or in the making.

• 5. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
                  David_Powers CommunityMVP

hmossfry wrote:

Ok - I received a response from tech support (it's been a while, but I figured that this might be helpful to someone else with this issue).

Drumroll, please:

"Office 10 came out after Dreamweaver CS5 & is not supported"

Unfortunately, the free Adobe technical support is staffed by who are not technical experts. The answer that you received is complete nonsense.

Office 10 is the XP version of Microsoft Office, which was released in 2002. Office 2010 is actually Office 14.0.

Like you, I have Windows 7 64-bit. I also have Office 2010 installed.

I have just created a test document in Word 2010, and saved it on my desktop. I then opened Dreamweaver CS5, made sure the focus was in Design view, and then selected File > Import > Word Document. The file was correctly imported.

As I said before, it's important for the focus to be in Design view. The following screenshot shows an attempt to access Import > Word Document when the focus is out of Design view. The option is greyed out.

word1.jpg

I then clicked inside Design view to ensure the focus was in the correct place. As the following screenshot shows, the options for Word and Excel are no longer greyed out.

word2.jpg

Importing Word documents in Dreamweaver CS5 on Windows 7 64-bit definitely works with Word 2010. If it's not working on your system, there's a problem with your installation. It's not a bug in Dreamweaver or lack of support for Office 2010.

• 6. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
                    RobbyP8649

Hi

Sorry I know this issue was sorted out a while ago now but I'm having the same problem and the solution that has been given is not working for me,

could this be due to the fact that I dont have word installed on my computer? I have the word file I need to import but aain the area is greyed out and

I cannot select it. I have made sure that the focus is in design veiw but nothing is working!

Any suggestions would be very helpful

Thanks

• 7. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
                      SnakEyez02 CommunityMVP

RobbyP8649 wrote:

Hi

Sorry I know this issue was sorted out a while ago now but I'm having the same problem and the solution that has been given is not working for me,

could this be due to the fact that I dont have word installed on my computer? I have the word file I need to import but aain the area is greyed out and

I cannot select it. I have made sure that the focus is in design veiw but nothing is working!

Any suggestions would be very helpful

Thanks

I've never actually tried a computer without Office, so I can't say with 100% certainty but it is a possibility that DW utilizes Word to open and import the Word files.  Even if you have not purchased office you should be able to get into the Web Apps to open and work with the file.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps/

But just a word of advice, you would be better in the future to link to this thread in a new post because most people will not read threads that are marked as answered.

• 8. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
                        MurraySummers CommunityMVP

could this be due to the fact that I dont have word installed on my computer?

Definitely.  Word is needed to background process the page so it can be imported into an HTML editor.

• 9. Re: Import Word/Excel document option greyed out
                          RobbyP8649 Community Member

great thanks for the help