9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 7:14 PM by jls9

Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue

jls9 Level 1

Hello All,

I recently bought a Canon HFR100 and am new to video editing, and decided to give the PRE9 Trial version a spin..

My issue is, after installing the trial, and messing around for a few days, all of a sudden I get a white screen for a preview, instead of the viewer with the watermark in my editor. if I double click a video file, ANY video file, no matter what video type I chose for my project file, I get this white screen. The audio is playing fine, but no video, just the white screen. (see image for the white area)

I've searched the forum for an answer, tried possible solutions (unistall - reinstall quicktime & Flash, added codecs, reinstalled the trial version. etc)...I just dont get it. Nothing else had changed, to my knowledge.

It's also a new home built machine: Intel i5, 4gb ram, Vista32, EGVA GTS450 Display card....no other problems...

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for good software to edit my son's hockey games, and I was looking at purchasing the full version, but I'm concerned it I do, I'll have the same problem (if it's a corrupt file, somewhere).

Thanks!

Image1.jpg

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue
          nealeh Level 5

Have you also installed the replacement file for the screen display? - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/870/cpsid_87080.html

Also work through these basics:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Ensure you have a minimum of 30GB free disk space - preferably 60GB
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, you definitely need to install a new set of drivers for that video card.

I believe that EGVA GTS450 (if that's your video card) uses an nVidia chip set, in which case you need to go to the nVidia web site to get the latest.

Otherwise you can try downloading your updates from the EGVA page at http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/

But this is an off-brand video card, so there is a chance it may not be compatible with the program. Still, it's worth a try.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue
              Ted Smith Level 3

I have seen this once myself when I tried a lot of video tracks but it cured when I closed PE9, rebooted the computer then reopened it.

White screen instead of video often means your computer has run out of 'resources'.

This is not always due to running out of memory but can be the OS  running out of 'stack' due to a process not finishing before the next  call occurs on that process.(IE the processor trying to do too many  things at once like previewing a timeline that has not been rendered  (red line at top of timeline) and a slow video card unable to keep up. Video cards that use system memory instead of their own can also be a problem.

Another indication of lack of resources is if you get a trail effect if you move a window quickly across the screen.(then you often get a crash!)

Have you too many other routines or programs running at the same time in the background?

Was there an effect you used just before the white screen just occurred. It may be an odd combination of effects for your system.

Close your offending project and try a making temporary brand new project of the same imported video and see if the white screen is still there before you start any editing.

Also try reducing the size of the preview screen by dragging the right hand edge leftwards. Less resources will be used this way. Also reduce the preview quality setting.

ted

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue
                jls9 Level 1

Thanks everyone for the possible answers.......

....and the winner is..ding, ding, ding !

STEVE GRISETTI !

Stinking video card drivers......! solved the problem. I had actually recently updated the video card drivers from Nvidia, and apparently this casued the problem. I had to go EGVA and use their drivers.

Problem solved!

Thanks for to all who peeked, and those that had a suggestion.... Now off to find hours of free time (not!) to play with the trial version....

Regards,

~Jeff

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When we've found a solution, we're all winners, Jeff! Happy moviemaking!

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue
                    shelly10755 Level 1

I am having the same issue -- white screen with all video files, can hear audio but can't see any video when previewing thumbnails or rendering previews or video --

I have a different configuration:

Dell Precision M6300

graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro FX3600M

Intel Cor 2 Duo CPU

T9300 @ 2.5Ghz

2.47 Gh, 3.50 GB of RAM

I've updated the driver...

Quicktime...

Disabled my anti-virus...

I've been messing with this since I installed the trial a week ago but still have not been able to get Premiere Elements to work and try.  Any suggestions?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is the version/date of your nVidia driver?

I could not find any Quadro FX 3600M, but for the Quadro FX 3800M, HERE is the latest driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 "white screen" issue
                        jls9 Level 1

My issue was just that ... the video driver. I reverted to the older one that came with the video card, instead of the "latest" driver, and that solved my problem.

~Jeff