1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 5, 2010 10:04 AM by Todd_Kopriva

RAM to leave for other applications

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello All.

I was trying to improve the speed out of AE and was re-setting the Preferences> Memory & Multiprocessing settings.

If I am working between AE, and Pre Pro via Dynamic Link and possibly also having PhotoShop open and then sending a project from Pre Pro to Encore or Media Encoder, ---How much ram do I leave for the other application?? 

Is 1 GB enough or should I allocate more or less.  I have 6 MB of Ram  installed and was considering getting 4 more MB so that my previews and  renders would be faster.

How can I tell how much Ram the other programs need??

I was told that upgrading my operating system from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard would also speed my Adobe programs up.  Is this true or was the Apple Salesman  just trying to make a sale.

Thank You

Premium Production Suite CS4 on a Mac. OS 10.5.8

• 1. Re: RAM to leave for other applications
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> If I am working between AE, and Pre Pro via Dynamic Link and possibly also having PhotoShop open and then sending a project from Pre Pro to Encore or Media Encoder, ---How much ram do I leave for the other application?? 

There are recommendations here.

Is 1 GB enough or should I allocate more or less.

More. If you have 6GB of RAM, start by leaving 2GB for other applications.

BTW, 6GB of RAM is not enough to successfully run all four of the applications that you just mentioned at the same time. You need to either run fewer applications at once or get more RAM.

I have 6 MB of Ram  installed and was considering getting 4 more MB so that my previews and renders would be faster.

Yes. Get more RAM.

> I was told that upgrading my operating system from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard would also speed my Adobe programs up.  Is this true or was the Apple Salesman  just trying to make a sale.

Mac OSX v10.6.x is much better at handling memory and hyperthreading than is Mac OSX v10.5.x.