13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 2:18 PM by ESAXMM

I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000

ESAXMM

1.      I recently got a Nikon D7000, its output file is MOV with a H264 codec. I have CS4 but CS4 doesn't support the codec so I have to render every file before I can edit it. can I import the codec. When I install my CS4 on my 64BIT machine my mouse loose some of the functions at bootup in Premiere. Is CS4 fully compatible with W7 64BIT

2.      I got a trial copy of CS5 which seems to solve the problem, Do I have to Upgrade to CS5.

3.      I'm downloading Premiere Elements 9, As I'm not a pro will it solve my problems, All I want to do is edit my movies on a 64bit machine.

• 2. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That DSLR shoots in a variety of video formats -- but from all indications, they are formats you can edit in Premiere Elements if you select matching project settings to your video.

I'd test it out on a trial of the program before I purchased it. But, if you set up your projects right, I think there's every indication you'll be able to edit this video natively in version 9.

• 3. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
            ESAXMM Level 1

Yes it seems to be able to edit the native file ok, But I'm getting mouse problems, when I click the buttons some will work and some won't. Prevents me from setting up the input sequence, Is there a problem with running Premiere elements on a 64BIt machine, its very strange. I tried a different mouse and nothing changes, is this a bug in the software. Tomorrow I'll install it on my 32bit machine and see what happens,

• 4. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using something other than the default Windows mouse driver?

• 5. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                ESAXMM Level 1

Its the normal default driver.

• 6. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a number of hardware and software issues related to using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 -- especially if you upgraded an older machine rather than buy one in which it was factory installed.

In this case, it may be better to go with Premiere Pro CS5, which is a 64-bit program. However, if your computer's hardware was initially set up for a 32-bit operating system, even that may not solve all of your issues.

• 7. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With mouse issues, there are two main causes - the driver, as mentioned above, or an overload on the I/O sub-system - something is using too many resources on the system. I'd recommend taking a look at this ARTICLE for setting up one's computer for an editing session, and with Win7, to specifically see Black Viper's Win7 tuning tips, down the thread a bit. Also see this ARTICLE on resources and memory.

Back to the beginning, there have been several versions of MS InteliPoint drivers, and also Logitec SetPoint drivers. From version to version, there can be issues. The trick is to find one that works, and roll-back to that, or to use the generic MS mouse driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                      ESAXMM Level 1

Thats very help full thank you, I reformatted my drive installed a clean OS, only Adobe is running on the system, nothing is running in the background, I'm going to check my drivers though, but it only happens with Premiere, everything else including all W7 apps work fine.

• 9. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                        ESAXMM Level 1

Hi. Its a clean install, I did myself, I used to be an It engineer. I had CS4 running before and everything was Ok, I've just re installed everything and its all gone pair shaped, Maybe something got corrupted during the install. Can't afford CS5, far to expensive.

• 10. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                          nealeh Level 5

As you have done a clean install, make sure you install all Windows Updates, Quicktime (essential as PRE relies on it), Graphics and Sound card drivers from the manufacturers site. Then do  a Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragment.

How many (physical) disk drives do you have and how much free space is on each of them?

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                            ESAXMM Level 1

Ok, I just went out and got an up to date trackball. No difference, I then went to my 32BIT machine and installed everything, NO PROBLEMS. everything went in great and no mouse problems. I've come to several conclusions. It just takes forever to run.

1. Premiere Elements 9 is not yet fully compatible with Windows 7 64BIT. Adobe need a software update ASAP and It'll be fine, I'm sure any day I'll do an update and everything will work.

2. CS4 doesn't support H264 codec which every DSLR, mobile phone, Iphone and camcorder uses. Thus If I'm want to edit my video I must use CS5. I won't its just to expensive.

3. I'm surprised its taken this much hassle to see a flaw in the software that Adobe should have figured out ages ago.

The conclusion is, I have nothing suitable to edit my video.

Come on Adobe you've let me down here, sort it out.

• 12. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting conclusions.

First, most users do not have issues with PrE 9 and Win7 64-bit, though they may have to work with some of the Win7 64-bit drivers. Most hope that MS will fix those issues with Win7 64-bit SP1.

Many DSLR's do use H.264, though many also use MJPEG, which Nikon did, until recently. With an H.264 CODEC properly installed, most users do not have any issues. There are three popular ones, Apple, Lead and MainConcept. Some users have found that the latter two work better, especially on Export. CS4 also works fine with H.264 in most cases, though there is no "true" DSLR Preset. Most just use the Desktop Project Preset, and adjust that, as is needed. Do you have CS4.2 installed? If not, I would definitely update to that version.

Also, all AVCHD is H.264 (though AVCHD is a sub-set of H.264, so the inverse is not true), and most users have no issues with AVCHD editing, so long as they choose the proper Project Preset.

Also, one must take into account that various camera makers will "tweak" common CODEC's, so they might have issues. In those cases, I think that it is highly incumbent on those camera makers to offer their version of a particular CODEC, and most do. It might be installed with the camera's driver, separately from the included CD/DVD, or perhaps as part of a utility. Do not know what Nikon ships now, but there was usually an image editor, video editor, and just installing that would properly install the appropriate CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: I need some help. Adobe Premiere CS4 and Nikon D7000
                                ESAXMM Level 1

Hi Bill.

Thats given me something to think about, However I'm sitting here extremely frustrated by the whole thing. I'm even tempted to consider a crack version if it gets me out of trouble, I'd rather not. But I wish Premiere CS5 wasn't so expensive. Cost me more than I could handle to get CV4 and I'm not ready to replace it just because of forced upgrades, its very unfair of Adobe to do that to us. I'll check if there is anything on the disk that came with my Nikon, I'm not counting on it.

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Rick