6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 3:14 PM by Nav Parker

animated giff

leapyear Level 1

A client wants an animation for an e Card.  I animated out to animated giff, clicked looping, but what renders is a still photoshop image.  I work in broadcast and am completely in the dark on all this.  Any enlightenment will be appreciated.  I am still working in CS 3

• 1. Re: animated giff
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> but what renders is a still photoshop image

This isn't clear to me. You're getting a PSD (Photoshop document)? Or are you just trying to say that you get a GIF file but it's not animated/animating?

How exactly are you creating the output? What exact menu commands and such are you choosing and clicking?

• 2. Re: animated giff
            leapyear Level 1

Todd, it's rendering out as a giff, but I'm not sure how to get it to animate or to loop.

It imported into photoshop as a still, but I now see that it does animate when imported into AE.  But it doesn't loop.

It doesn't animate at all when dragged into email - the way a quicktime movie will. so I'm not quite understanding how the client can

use it as a perpetually looping animation for an e card.

In the composition, I click command M.

In the render output module, I set the format to Animated Giff.

In format options, I click enable dithering and loop.  Click the render button and the giff is rendered.

• 3. Re: animated giff
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Animated gifs have been around for like thirty years, there must be a huge number of online resources.

Here, let me google that for you...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+animate+GIF%3F

bogiesan

• 4. Re: animated giff
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects is, frankly, terrible at making animated gifs directly. Here's what I do. Export an Animation Codec Codec quicktime then import that file into Photoshop using the File>Import>Video Frames to Layers option. I can then make the adjustments needed to the timing, size, compression, and save for web and devices.

Another option is to save the PSD file and then bring it into Fireworks for conversion to an animated gif. Fireworks is Adobe's best tool for creating animated gifs.

Here's a tutorial from Russell Brown on how to do it.

By the way, if you don't see the Import option please select view all menu items at the bottom of the list.

• 5. Re: animated giff
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I agree with Rick. Note that I recommend such workflows in After Effects Help:

here

and

here

• 6. Re: animated giff
                    Nav Parker

Rick is right (surprise!)

Photoshop Extended CS4 & CS5 have fantastic video capabilities that make animated GIFs so much easier than AE.

Click to view GIF

fringe-ScreenSnapz-crop.gif