5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 5:21 AM by ECBowen

Will SLI interfere with MPE?

Frédéric Segard Level 2

I will be switching over from Final Cut Pro Studio 3 to Adobe Production Premium CS5 soon. In the meantime, I have the opportunity to try the CS5 trial version on a friend's computer that he is building for gaming with triple GXT470 in SLI. He will have 3 monitors with that.  I know full well that CS5 does not take advantage of SLI in anyway, but will it work without problems? Will MPE (or the rest of CS5 apps for that matter) be confused by the multiple cards?

The configuration of the system I'm planning to build so far, with O.C. in mind, will be the following:

(I work mostly with AVCIntra-100 footage and keying)

Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard

980X processor with thermaltake Frio cooling

24GB Corsair Dominator with Air Flow 2 fans

3x 450GB SATA3 Velociraptor drives (1 for OS and apps, and 2 in RAID 0 for pagefile and temp files)

6 or 8x 600GB SATA3 Velociraptor drives in RAID5 or RAID3 for the media and export

GeForce GTX480

Bluray burner

1200W Corsair modular power supply

Still debating between the AJA Kona LHi or Blackmagic Decklink Studio

Any recommended cooling for the GTX480 other then the stock cooling? Are the media Velociraptor drives overkill in a RAID setup for the media, or would Caviar Black drives do? Any suggestions/recommendations on the above?

Thanks,

Frederic

• 1. Re: Will SLI interfere with MPE?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The Raid controller will have more impact than the disks. No Caviar Blacks however because of the WD TLER 'feature', which makes them unsuitable for parity raid configurations. Either opt for the expensive RE4 version or opt for the more affordable Samsung F3's. Velociraptors seem like overkill. Number of disks in the array is more important than RPM's.

SLI is not supported in anyway, but to know whether it creates problems, well, try it and you know it. It does seem a costly approach however. Simple, there is no benefit at all from multiple video cards with CS5.

Instead of the 480, have a look at the 580, which runs cooler and quieter.

• 2. Re: Will SLI interfere with MPE?
            Frédéric Segard Level 2

Wow, I didn't know the Blacks were unsuitable for RAIDs... interesting. I'm curious though, Harm, I saw somewhere you had a slew of disks in RAID 30. How did you assign them? Have you compared the speed difference with your setup between RAID 3 and 30?

Have you or someone you know tried the 580 yet? Does it work with the hack and is as stable as the 480? I am surprised that Adobe is not faster in their card testing/approval process, as the 480 has been out for a "while" (considering Moore's Law). Still haven't seen any benchmarks comparing GTX and Quadro cards with MPE. I'd be really interested in that, seeing that the price difference is anywhere from 3 to 8 times more expensive... and the performance gain is most likely not proportional to the price. But I did read that GTX cooling is crucial when it's working hard (or it starts slowing down), as opposed the Quadro, which remains stable under a heavy workload.

• 3. Re: Will SLI interfere with MPE?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look here: PPBM5 Benchmark

Bill is the first one to have submitted 580 results and yes, it works quite stably with the hack.

IMO, the Quadro's are way overpriced. They do not deliver extra performance and the only thing that speaks for them is the 10 bit color output that they are capable of if you have a suitable monitor and in some cases (5000/6000) the increased amount of memory.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Will SLI interfere with MPE?
                Frédéric Segard Level 2

As for 10-bit color, it would/could be useful, but my output will be displayed on a AJA or Decklink card.

Thanks for the link. It's interresting that the MPE gain is not as strong on the Quadro as one "might" have expected. Fascinating actually!

• 5. Re: Will SLI interfere with MPE?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You might want to read this:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/learningresource/whitepapers/learningresource_a t_cctl.html

Samsung Desktop drives do not have this feature that I know of just like WD Desktop drives do not have TLER.

Eric

ADK