5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 10:03 AM by douglashh1

Reader 10 plugin issue - Mac

douglashh1

I have used Reader 9.4.1 with Safari to view my health insurance claims and have had no problems.  I installed Reader 10 and now I cannot view my health insurance claims.  When I open Reader Preferences/Internet the Web Browser check box is grayed out but checked.  The version 10 plug-in is in my Internet Plug-ins folder and when I look at Safari installed plug-in Reader shows as installed but I cannot view my health insurance claims.  Get an error message 'object not found'.

I deleted Reader 10 and reinstalled Reader 9.4.1 and I can view my health insurance claims with no problem.

Any ideas why Reader 10 won't work and why the web browser check box is grayed out?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Reader 10 plugin issue - Mac
          Karan Malik Adobe Employee

Hi,

When you installed Reader X, did you customize your installation i.e in installer dialog of customize, did you uncheck plugin for Safari browser. Or did you do a default install of Reader X.

If you had done a default install of Reader X, then Adobe Reader.app is installed in /Applications folder and in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins AdobePDFViewer.plugin should be present with version10.0.0

Also open com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist in /Library/Preferences in any plist viewer. It should have a key - WebBrowserUsePath. This should be pointing to correct reader application on your system. Normally its value is something like - file://localhost/Applications/Adobe%20Reader.app/

If you have moved your Reader application in some customized folder, then update the value of this key to point to new location of the application.

Thanks,

Karan

• 2. Re: Reader 10 plugin issue - Mac
            douglashh1 Level 1

I did the standard installation.  The Reader 10 plug-in is in the Internet Plug-ins folder and it shows up as an installed plug-in in Safari.

At least 1 other person is experiencing the same issue based on my post in another forum.  I shouldn't have to use a plist editor in order for Reader 10 to work property.

I have since deleted Reader 10 and reinstalled Reader 9.4.1 and it works property.  Obviously a bug of some sort in Reader 10.

• 3. Re: Reader 10 plugin issue - Mac
              Karan Malik Adobe Employee

You will have to use plist editor only in case you move Reader application from default /Applications folder. Here you say you have done standard install so in this case assuming you have not, then this problem should not have arrived. Is it that this is happening only with your health insurance claims pdf files. Have you tried opening any other pdf file also. I know you have uninstalled Reader X, I  was thinking just in case you tried opening any other pdf file when you had installed Reader X. Can you share the exact error message (if you remember ) and if possible the pdf files also.

Thanks,

Karan

• 4. Re: Reader 10 plugin issue - Mac
                SidneyTwining

A similiar problem is happening with IE 8

on Win 7.  Only, it doesn't happen all the time.

When selecting an Adobe icon to see a .pdf file w/in the app, the pop-up window is blank.  Sometimes.  When a fresh boot has recently happened, it works fine.  A few more views later, it is blank and not responding.  I'm going back to 9.  Don't have time for this.  Let me know when it is fixed.

• 5. Re: Reader 10 plugin issue - Mac
                  douglashh1 Level 1

Anyone know if this issue has been fixed in the latest release of Adobe Reader?