11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2011 2:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9

yaideenorthcal

I am a new user to Adobe Premier Elements 9 and have installed a 30 day trial version on my ASUS netbook that has 2 GB of memory.  The install appeared to go fine and I was able to create a small video project and save it. I had full software functionailty but when I returned the next day I cannot open the project.  Elements 9 tells me that the project is opening, but nothing happens and then I get the following error message: " A serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premier to shut down."

I have tried to reinstall the software twice and I get the same results - not able to open the software and when I click on create new project, I get kicked back to my desktop.  So I'm not sure if my ASUS netbook just does not have the capacity to handle the software or I made an error in installing the product.  Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
          Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

The trial version may be missing High Definition set up, and 2GB RAM may just be enough for

HDV or AVCHD ? Check out System requirements for 9 in Adobe..

• 2. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
            nealeh Level 5

You need at least 30GB (or better, 60GB) free defragmented space for PRE9 to work. Do you have this? You may have been on the borderline during install and your first project, so when you rendered your project, or restarted the machine, (possibly Windows creating a system restore point) your free space dropped below the limit.

Can you also confirm that you didn't install any new software between the saving and opening of your project.

Here are some general points you should work through to maximise your chances of success

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
            • Run Disk Cleanup.
            • Run Defragmenter.
            • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clip and hardware:

• 3. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the other comments and suggestions, this ARTICLE might be helpful for setting up your computer for video editing.

Most commercially assembled computers are filled up with bloatware, and it can really get in the way, especially if one's computer is already near the low limit. With Win7, 2GB of RAM is just about the minimum for running the OS - only.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
                Barneschevelle

I can't even get the program to install using the downloaded version which I bought.. It errors at installing required share technologies and starts an install roll back. Tech support is a joke. I phoned sales and offered to buy a disk and was told I would have to pay 109 dollars for them to send me a disk. What kind of a company is adobe?

• 5. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure what you are hoping to accomplish with these posts, but perhaps consider only doing so in this FORUM.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
                    Barneschevelle Level 1

I own several adobe products including the CS5 master suite. installation has always been a problem and tech support is pathetic. adobe has good products once you get them up an running, but if you have a problem you are just out of luck. How corrupt can one company be? I wonder if other users would be interested in a class action claim against adobe? I am just sick and tired of their crap.

• 7. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
                      Barneschevelle Level 1

I got a response from bill hunt. he told me adobe support is quite good.  here was my post. I can't even get the program to install using the downloaded version which I bought.. It errors at installing required share technologies and starts an install roll back. Tech support is a joke. I phoned sales and offered to buy a disk and was told I would have to pay 109 dollars for them to send me a disk. What kind of a company is adobe?

I have over 20 years professional experience in the computer industry, 10 years setting up computer networks and 5 as a web programmer.  If I have such problems how about the average user?  I am not going to let adobe get away with this. All I want is a product that works or my money back.

• 8. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I own several adobe products including the CS5 master suite. installation has always been a problem and tech support is pathetic.

Omitting the T/S issues, this indicates to me, that you have an issue with either your system, or with your method. I have been installing Adobe programs (have most of them) for almost 20 years, and have had but one problem - when I upgraded from Adobe Illustrator 3 to AI 5, skipping the versions in between, the newer S/N database did not allow for the old S/N syntax. One call to Adobe C/S (Customer Support) took about 5 mins. including hold time, to get things sorted out. That is one installation issue over about 50 installs - not bad.

If you look over the checklist that I linked to, what is missing from your installation scheme?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I got a response from bill hunt. he told me adobe support is quite good.

Not sure that statement is correct. I have not had to use Adobe C/S in many years, but it was great then. I have never had to use T/S, but going back some time, others found them to be good. Lately, there have been many complaints regarding Adobe T/S, and Adobe even issued a letter stating that they were addressing the issues, and would be pulling T/S on-shore for US users. Obviously, T/S has had issues. However, most users with specific installation issues have found resolution by calling T/S for the free installation support. Not sure how "easy" that support has been to come by, but most users here HAVE gotten the program to install properly.

I also suggested a Search for the "shared technologies" aspect of your issue. Did any of those threads help?

With your experience, I would assume that you did everything mentioned in the checklist. Is that correct?

As we are but users here, there is not much that we can do to help you, other than to share our experiences (my one installation issue will be of no help here), or to point to other threads, where users found resolution. Most of us never have had installation issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an Adobe KB Article on installation issues with PrE 9. Maybe something in it will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Problems with Adobe Premier Elements 9
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is ONE of those threads, and it has a link in it to another, where an Adobe employee commented to that OP. See if something from Adobe helps.

Good luck,

Hunt