18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2013 6:31 PM by A.T. Romano

MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9

Koscieliska

I have recently upgraded to Premiere Elements 9 (from Pre 8) and I am not very happy with it. I recieved several video shoots in MP4 format and can not include it into PE9. Why? Can someone help?

• 1. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
          nealeh Level 5

Did the same clip work in PRE8? If so which preset did you use in PRE8 and which in PRE9? Where did the clip originate from, and how did you get it into your PC?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, what version of Apple's QT Player do you have installed?

When you go to Import the MP4's, do you get any error messages? What are they?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, as Neale says, knowing the type of camcorder this video came from and which settings you selected for your Premiere Elements project will help us help you.

• 4. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                Koscieliska Level 1

I am not sure whether it worked with PRE8 because I don't have it anymore. The clip is burned into DVD and I am trying to extract it from there.

• 5. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Is this a DVD-Data disk, or a BD with H.264?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                    Koscieliska Level 1

I am not sure but will check later today and will respond. Most likely it is a DVD-Data disk.

• 7. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                      Koscieliska Level 1

I have just learned that the camcorder was Sanyo Xacti VPC-CA9 (small waterproof HD camera).

• 8. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do a forum search for Sanyo Xacti and read other discussions

• 9. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                          Koscieliska Level 1

It was my fault. I did not copy properly all files from DVD. I have done it again and it works OK. Thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

"And it works," are words that we love to hear!!!!!

Thanks for reporting success, and good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                              ranroun123

I have the same problem. I take video from a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 and whenever i import it into Elements 9 it shows up as a mp3 file. I don't know what i am doing wrong and where i am doing it wrong.

• 12. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ranroun123

What are the properties of your video from the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8? If you are unsure, the MediaInfo readout will give you that information

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

From what I have read, your video compression is MotionJPEG, the audio is just described as Mono, and the works is wrapped with the .mov file extension. So, I would ask where are you seeing a .mp3 for audio that is linked to this video which is coming in as a .mov file? Please let me know if I have misinterpreted your camera specifications.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                                  ranroun123 Level 1

I don't know if this will help, but this is what it says in the program

just one of my videos

General

Complete name                            : E:\DCIM\105_PANA\P1050496.MOV

Format                                   : MPEG-4

Format profile                           : QuickTime

Codec ID                                 : qt 

File size                                : 1.26 GiB

Duration                                 : 6mn 20s

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 28.4 Mbps

Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-05-23 14:22:38

Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-05-23 14:22:38

Writing library                          : pana

Video

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : JPEG

Codec ID                                 : jpeg

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 28.1 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 280 pixels

Height                                   : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Constant

Frame rate                               : 30.000 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 1.016

Stream size                              : 1.24 GiB (99%)

Language                                 : English

Audio

ID                                       : 2

Format                                   : PCM

Format settings, Endianness              : Big

Format settings, Sign                    : Signed

Codec ID                                 : twos

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 256 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 1 channel

Sampling rate                            : 16.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Stream size                              : 11.6 MiB (1%)

Language                                 : English

• 14. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ranroun123

What caught my immediate attention in your video properties readout was the audio details which indicated that your audio has "twos" compression, with the additional details of signed, Endianness: Big, 16 bit, mono.

I have run into this type of audio compression before at another forum and found, in the case looked at, that the twos audio compression was not compatible with Premiere Elements 10 or 11. I recommended the conversion of the file.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77558

I am no long visiting nor answering questions at that other forum, so, if you have questions about what is in that thread, please ask me here in your thread.

You are dealing with MotionJPEG video compression which has posed problems for some. But for now, I see the major consideration being that twos audio compression.

But let me make sure that I am OK with the issue that you present

1. Can you import your video and can you play back both video and audio in the Edit Mode Monitor without problem? Do you see the import represented as an entry on Video 1 and Audio 1?

2. What is the file extension of the file that you are importing into Premiere Elements....is it .mp3, .mov, .qt, or something else? From what I have read it should be .mov.

In view of the expected .mov file extension for your Panasonic material, please explain what you mean by

I take video from a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 and whenever i import it into Elements 9 it shows up as a mp3 file.

Where are you seeing this .mp3 file extension whenever the file is imported into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

From all accounts, you should have

1280 x 720 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second plus that twos mono audio compression all wrapped with the .mov (file extension)

I will try to get a sample from your camera brand/model and take a first look at your specific situation.

To be continued.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 15. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                                      ranroun123 Level 1

Thanks,

#1, when i import the video clip into PE9, it shows up as a little audio file with a speaker icon

#2, my camera originally takes the video in .mp4 format, but i don't know where it is getting converted into .mov

if you have any other questions just ask.

• 16. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ranroun123

I think that we may have made a significant breakthough.

Your camera is know to use that wrapper format of .mov (QuickTime). So, I do not have a problem with you seeing that.

But, here is the important information that I need right now:

1. After you import your video file, do you see the video portion of the file in Video 1 and do you see the audio portion of the file in Audio 1?

2. If so, does the rendered Timeline give you good playback of both video and audio? If any problems, what?

3. From what you wrote:

#1, when i import the video clip into PE9, it shows up as a little audio file with a speaker icon

Is that all you see, just that Audio File, no signs of the Video thumbnail? If so, that is important and suggest to me that you have a MotionJPEG codec at the least.

4. Did you camera comes with a utility to supply the MotionJPEG codec?

So major goal now is to defined the situation more. Immediate answers are needed for:

a. Are you getting good playback or any playback for the video portion of the clip.

b. Are you getting good, bad, or no audio for the audio portion of the clip.

MotionJPEG codec and twos codec problems. If so, I would probably go the conversion to another format route on this. But let us wait until all your answers are in.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 17. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                                          ranroun123 Level 1

Thanks,

for your first question, i do see the different sections of video and audio.

Answering your second question, i would think that it does, i am not realy sure. why do you ask? Does it affect anything in Elements?

Answering your third question, i do not know if i have a MotionJPEG codec. When i say that there is a thumbnail when i upload the clip, i mean on the side of the screen in the media manager panel.

Answering your fourth question, I do not know if my camera comes with a utility to supply that codec.

And finally, answering your final question, i am pretty sure that the audio and video plays well, when rendered. 

Thanks for the support and see you tommorow

• 18. Re: MP4 does not open in Pre Elements 9
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ranroun123

If you are sure that your rendered Timeline is playing back well video and audo in the Edit Mode Monitor, that is excellent. That takes the MotionJPEG video codec and twos audio codec out of the equation up to that stage.

But you wrote

Answering your third question, i do not know if i have a MotionJPEG codec. When i say that there is a thumbnail when i upload the clip, i mean on the side of the screen in the media manager panel.

What you described led me to believe that only the audio portion of the file was imported. But there must be a miscommunication on that if you are getting video and audio playback of the Timeline content in the Edit Mode Monitor.

According to the manufacturer of your camera, your video is expected to have a .mov file extension when the file is imported into Windows, and you say it has. No problem there.

Now what about export? Any issues there?

My responses to you started when I saw your post

I have the same problem. I take video from a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 and whenever i import it into Elements 9 it shows up as a mp3 file. I don't know what i am doing wrong and where i am doing it wrong.

And, in trying to figure that out, we both may have gone in different directions. But "as a mp3 file" further supports my thinking that the video portion of the file did not import. Thus the MotionJPEG codec issue. So, we do need clarification on that.

Looking forward to further development when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...MPEG-4 Video is a type of video codec (compression). ,MPEG4 or ,MP4 is a designation for a file extension (wrapper format for the video and audio compression). From all that I have read, your specific camera is using MotionJPEG for the video compression and a .mov file extension as the wrapper format. Could you please let me know where you are getting the information that your camera is shooting in MPEG4 Format?