6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 7:47 AM by the_wine_snob

Why can't Elements 9 play a large .wmv file that plays well in Windows Media Player?

dgharri

I don't understand why a 42 MB  video clip that looks crisp and clear and plays "out of the box" in Windows Media Player looks fuzzy and "pixellated" in Elements 9.  It also doesn't run smoothly, instead it jerks through the first few seconds of the clip, then stops. I thought Elements 9 automatically recognizes the characteristics of the file and adjusts its parameters to play it.  I didn't have to tweak anything in Windows Media Player, it just played it well, so I figured Elements 9 would know how to display and play it equally well.  Is there something I need to do to tune Elements 9?

• 1. Re: Why can't Elements 9 play a large .wmv file that plays well in Windows Media Player?
          nealeh Level 5

Playing a video clip requires little processing effect - it only needs to decode. Editing, non-linear, is a different beast altogether - it needs to encode..

• Did the problem clip load into PRE8 without problems?
          • If you put the clip in a different project does it work?
          • What was the source of the clip (and if camcorder what were its recording settings.
          • How did the clip get onto your PC
          • What project settings did you select when starting your project?

For tuning here are some basics:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

For your clips:

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why can't Elements 9 play a large .wmv file that plays well in Windows Media Player?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In addition to Neale's excellent suggestions, you may see improved results if you render your file.

Does your video have a red line above it on your timeline? That's an indication that the segment needs rendered. Press Enter. The red line will turn green and your playback should be much closer to what your final output will look like.

WMVs -- especially hi-def WMVs -- don't make the best sources for Premiere Elements projects. WMVs are primarily delivery formats.

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer information on converting your WMVs to more editable formats.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Why can't Elements 9 play a large .wmv file that plays well in Windows Media Player?
              dgharri Level 1

Thanks, Steve.  I read the "rendering" tip last night and was waiting to come in this morning to try it and it worked.  I'm obviously a neophyte! I bought your book on Elements 9 so at some point I'll be a competent user lol (I wish I could have downloaded it immediately instead of waiting for the mail, oh well)! In any event, one more question for now.  I noticed that the video plays smoothly now after rendering, but it more pixelated/fuzzy.  Is there a way to correct for this when its imported into PE9?  Why did it lose resolution?  Is the answer to go to MPEG2?  Playback quality is currently set to "highest resolution" when I right-click on it.

Here's the problem. Not only am I losing resolution when importing these, but they're being projected onto a movie theatre-size screen.  I'm not the original editor.  This is an animation produced by someone and I'm just running it in a production.  I'm guessin the projector's resolution is a limitation, but I'd at least like it to look as good in Adobe as it does in wmv.  What do you think?

• 4. Re: Why can't Elements 9 play a large .wmv file that plays well in Windows Media Player?
                dgharri Level 1

Thanks a bunch Neale!  I did some work with Element 4 a few years ago and forget that I needed to render what I bring in, though I will also check the system settings, like you suggested.  My main problem now is loss of resolution when going into Adobe and then projecting the playback through a projector onto a "very large" movie theater-sized screen.   Do you know how I can recover the resolution?  I'm not the original editor.  This is an animation produced by someone and I'm just running it in a production.

• 5. Re: Why can't Elements 9 play a large .wmv file that plays well in Windows Media Player?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, some of that may be the nature of using a WMV as a source file. WMVs can be highly compressed and that can compromise the video's quality.

Meantime, right-click on the Monitor panel in Premiere Elements and make sure the Playback Quality set to Highest.

BTW, how large do you have your Monitor set? You're not playing it as full screen size, are you? Computer monitors have many times the resolution of TVs, so over-rezzing your image can also result in pixelation. Right-click on your Monitor panel in Premiere Elements and set it to 100%. This should show you your video at its final output quality.

If, after setting that, it's still not the highest quality, it just may be the nature of the WMV.

Regardless, thanks for supporting the book! Hope it helps you out!

• 6. Re: Why can't Elements 9 play a large .wmv file that plays well in Windows Media Player?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The biggest difference is that simple playback, with a program like WMP, VLC, GOM or MediaPlayer Classic HC, is much different than editing that same file. There is a lot less processing to start with. If one plays an AV file in either Organizer, or the Source Monitor, they are again using a simple player.

Heavily-compressed files, like WMV, first put a load on the computer, when one goes to edit, as much processing must take place first. The material also has a GOP structure (see this ARTICLE), and must be converted to full I-frame, for Frame-accurate editing. That takes a lot of power. I always recommend doing the conversion to a format/CODEC, like DV-AVI, outside of the NLE (Non Linear Editor) program, before trying to edit.

Good luck,

Hunt