10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 1:00 PM by ta6158

Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?

ta6158

Quick question from a newbie with PE9.  In order to export to AVI Divx files, it is simply a matter of getting the divx codec and then exporting to avi format and selecting the divx codex?  Or is there more to it?

• 1. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can use Share/Computer/AVI and then click the Advanced button.

On the Video tab of the option screen that opens, click on the Video Codec drop-down and select the Divx option.

Lots of great stuff like that in the program! And if you're looking for a great book that shows you pretty much every tool in the program, you might want to check out one of mine!

• 2. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, with the DivX CODEC properly installed, one would just choose the MS AVI, and from the Compressor drop-down, choose the DivX CODEC. Note: though Xvid is but the open source version of DivX, I have never been able to get any Adobe program to encode in that - crash city.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Here's a look at the DivX Compressor, from PrE 4:

Export_DivX_01.jpg

• 3. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?

The screens look very different in version 9, of course.

• 4. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, first the background will be black to dark gray. Looking back at my original screen-cap PSD, I also think that might be from PrPro, but the general choices will be the same. I must get PrE 9, so that the screen-caps will match 100%! Of course then, I will need to re-do most of the screen-caps to update them. Oh well, I needed something to do...

Hunt

• 5. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?

No, Bill, they look VERY different.

The screens you're showing are from the old File/Export/Movie menu -- which doesn't exist in version 9.

The Advanced option screens in Share/Computer/AVI have similar options but don't look remotely the same. (Just trying not to confuse the original poster.)

• 6. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry about that. I will refrain from posting any screen-caps for the DivX Export/Share.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?
                      ta6158 Level 1

Hi

I installed the DIVX codec pack off the divx.com website.  No issues with the installation.  Divx codec shows up as an option when I export using the AVI format.

However, when I try to export, PrE9 crashes just a few minutes into the export...There is a message stating that Premiere is running short on system memory and then it stops.  When I click ok, Premiere Elements shuts down.

Steve, I will definitely buy your book....I don't want to keep on bothering you guys on this forum if all is explained in it.  Until the book shows up, any suggestions?

I am using a Dell 8100, Windows 7, 6GB of RAM, 800GB free disk space (new machine) and it its using an Intel® Core™ i5-760 Processor (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz).

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

• 8. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For resource issues, this ARTICLE might be useful. For Win7, be sure to see Black Viper's Win7 Tuneup Tips, down the thread.

Also, see this ARTICLE for some other thoughts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?

What kind of camcorder is your source video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

When you opened your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you choose?

Does your computer only have a C drive or are you also operating on another internal or external drive?

• 10. Re: Export Elements Premiere 9 to Divx?
                            ta6158 Level 1

I used  multiple VOB files, off mutliple DVDs...Adobe Premiere copied these onto my harddrive...I cannot recall which presets I used. I recall from the Premiere helpfiles that  when you insertthe first clip into the timeline it dynamically changes the project's presets to macth the 1st clip.

And, everything is running on my c-drive.

I was surprised to be running low on system memory....and then having premiere stop.   I have exported the project to AVI format, MPEG2 format, H.264 format, etc. etc and have never run into any such issue.  This only happens with the DIVX codec. Given i just installed it, I was hoping there is a simply set up step I need to perform to avoid this.