6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 3:26 PM by shooternz

Can you help me find a specific PP CS5 review?

Am_I_Lame? Level 1

In the last month or so I came across a fairly detailed review of PP CS5 specifically as it pertains to CUDA.  What I found most striking about it was the reviewer tested several different approved CUDA cards and noted no performance increase over 100 GPUs, and concluded PP CS5 currently doesn't use more than 100.  I realize Adobe disagrees, but I'd like to re-read the review, and naturally I didn't bookmark it.  I thought I originally found it via a link somewhere here on the PP CS5 forum, but I can't get search to work for me at the moment, so I thought I'd see if anyone knows about it and can point me to it.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can you help me find a specific PP CS5 review?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

We now have 150+ results submitted in the PPBM5 Benchmark

Just the other day I added a paragraph on the Latest News page, that we have seen indications that the number of cores do matter to performance. Just have a look.

• 2. Re: Can you help me find a specific PP CS5 review?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm not sure of the review you're referring to, and I don't know what "100 GPUs" means, but:

What I found most striking about it was the reviewer tested several different approved CUDA cards and noted no performance increase over 100 GPUs, and concluded PP CS5 currently doesn't use more than 100.  I realize Adobe disagrees...

... isn't the point. I assume you're referring to using an unapproved, less-expensive GPU with the "hack." It's not the performance that you're buying when you purchase an approved card; rather, it's the guarantee that it's going to function as expected. It's been shown that dozens of different GPUs work, with only slight variations in their performance, so obviously there is great allure in one of these other cards. However, you take the risk that that GPU you select will not function exactly as you'd like it, and may in fact not work with hardware MPE at all.

Note that I'm saying this as the owner of a GTX480, a card I purchased under the assumption of full support and monstrous performance; while it works, I'm likely to never see this card being an official member of the rarified Approved GPU Club. While that chaps my hide a bit, I can't hold Adobe responsible. So it goes...

• 3. Re: Can you help me find a specific PP CS5 review?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> and I don't know what "100 GPUs" means

I think that he's referring to individual cores on the GPU. A GPU is a massively parallel computer in its own right, with---in some cases---hundreds of individual processor units (cores).

Premiere Pro CS5 can and does use more than 100 cores for CUDA processing, despite some mistaken statements to the contrary in a few articles.

As with all such hardware discussions, it's important to point out that performance doesn't necessarily scale with increases in just one factor. Sometimes memory is the bottlenack; sometimes I/O speed is; sometimes processing power is; sometimes the scheduling of processes across processors is; et cetera. And the bottlenecks differ depending on the kind of work being done.

• 4. Re: Can you help me find a specific PP CS5 review?
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                I think that he's referring to individual cores on the GPU. A GPU is a massively parallel computer in its own right, with---in some cases---hundreds of individual processor units (cores).

OK, that makes more sense. I was imagining something more like a series number, e.g. "something-something-140."

• 5. Re: Can you help me find a specific PP CS5 review?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The GTX 480 has 480 processor cores.  The approved 470 has 448 cores.  The much more affordable 460 has 336 cores.

By comparison, the ATI HD 6870, for about the same price as the nVidia 460, has a full 1,120 cores.

Yet another reason for Adobe to abandon CUDA in favor of OpenCL.

• 6. Re: Can you help me find a specific PP CS5 review?
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Yet another reason for Adobe to abandon CUDA in favor of OpenCL.

You know the rules Jim...'Make a  feature Request"